Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2022, 07:34 AM   #21
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I recently (about two months ago) installed a B&W turnover ball in a 2021 F250, did. It have to pull the box. Some of the bolts were difficult, but I didn’t see a reason to pull the box to do it. Install was about 3 hours. It helps to have an extra set of hands as well.
maybe they pull the bed to make the trailer wiring easier along with the turnover ball..i guess if your in a shop and have all the equipment it’s easier but for a regular truck owner without that it can still be done…also easier to justify the high labor cost when you say you have to remove the bed
Old 07-30-2022, 07:41 AM   #22
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
maybe they pull the bed to make the trailer wiring easier along with the turnover ball..i guess if your in a shop and have all the equipment it’s easier but for a regular truck owner without that it can still be done…also easier to justify the high labor cost when you say you have to remove the bed
Installing the in bed plug was really easy, Ford has the connections already wired in, just have to cut the hole and drop the wires down and connect them, then route the extra wire up along the frame and zip tie it. That’s a 15 min job. I’m with you on the labor part. I know the service department at the dealership where I worked told customers the bed had to be removed, never saw a tech remove a bed to install the hitch.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 08:04 AM   #23
peanut

After reading all of your comments there are many open questions. First of all, you never have said which truck you have/will have. Makes a difference.

Secondly, your leaning towards the B&W Companion suggests you will be using a gooseneck ball. But you mention installing an OEM puck system kit. Something like this https://www.summitracing.com/parts/reh-30158-52?seid=srese1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpqPAwP2g-QIVxR6tBh3k8QPtEAQYASABEgIxaPD_BwE ? ? ?
If you will be using a gooseball why go to the expense of installing a complete puck system kit? A B&W underbed turnover ball hitch like this (this one for a late model F-350 - available for others) :
https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/kits/gnrk1116
Cheaper and no need to remove the bed. In fact, many install these themselves in their driveway with no problem. You could still use the Companion hitch.

You say you don't want to change the king pin by adding anything that could void a warranty so you think there are only three options. Actually there are more. The main ones are:

1. Reese goosebox: https://www.reeseprod.com/products/pin-boxes/goose-box
2. B&W Companion: https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/pro...th-wheel-hitch
3. Demco Recon: https://www.demco-products.com/rv-to...k-ball-mount-1
4. Blue Ox: https://www.blueox.com/5th-wheel-hitches/
5. Pullrite #3900 (weighs less than the Companion): https://www.pullrite.com/3900
- - start watching at the 6:24 time
6. Curt Crosswing. Adds a component to the pin box but, since it is advertised by Lippert, I (a s s)ume it wouldn't void the Lippert warranty. Gooseball version "coming soon": https://store.lci1.com/all-about-cro...SAAEgL1JfD_BwE

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 10:31 AM   #24
PauliWalnuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
After reading all of your comments there are many open questions. First of all, you never have said which truck you have/will have. Makes a difference.

Secondly, your leaning towards the B&W Companion suggests you will be using a gooseneck ball. But you mention installing an OEM puck system kit. Something like this https://www.summitracing.com/parts/reh-30158-52?seid=srese1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpqPAwP2g-QIVxR6tBh3k8QPtEAQYASABEgIxaPD_BwE ? ? ?
If you will be using a gooseball why go to the expense of installing a complete puck system kit? A B&W underbed turnover ball hitch like this (this one for a late model F-350 - available for others) :
https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/kits/gnrk1116
Cheaper and no need to remove the bed. In fact, many install these themselves in their driveway with no problem. You could still use the Companion hitch.

You say you don't want to change the king pin by adding anything that could void a warranty so you think there are only three options. Actually there are more. The main ones are:

1. Reese goosebox: https://www.reeseprod.com/products/pin-boxes/goose-box
2. B&W Companion: https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/pro...th-wheel-hitch
3. Demco Recon: https://www.demco-products.com/rv-to...k-ball-mount-1
4. Blue Ox: https://www.blueox.com/5th-wheel-hitches/
5. Pullrite #3900 (weighs less than the Companion): https://www.pullrite.com/3900
- - start watching at the 6:24 time
6. Curt Crosswing. Adds a component to the pin box but, since it is advertised by Lippert, I (a s s)ume it wouldn't void the Lippert warranty. Gooseball version "coming soon": https://store.lci1.com/all-about-cro...SAAEgL1JfD_BwE
It is a 2021 F250 SB. I would use the Companion with the puck system as that is the lightest hitch. I also after doing some research I think using the pucks is better because the hitch is attached at 4 points where as those attached to a goose ball are only attached by one. When I mentioned the 3 options I didn't explain it well what I meant was 3 methods.

1. 5th Wheel hitch/adapter to the Goose ball
2. Pucks
3. Lippert Goose ball

I need to have a hitch that either weighs less than 100 lbs or comes in pieces each weighing less than 100 lbs. I am leery of hitches that connect to the goose ball as I have seen where there is movement of the hitch which rubs against the bed plus as I mentioned above I think the 4 pt connection is better than one.
PauliWalnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 11:15 AM   #25
chuckster57
Site Team

The companion has runners that you install and it holds the hitch “straight” in the bed. I have installed lots of them.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 12:21 PM   #26
PauliWalnuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
The companion has runners that you install and it holds the hitch “straight” in the bed. I have installed lots of them.
They also has a version that is lighter that installs using the puck system

https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel...BWRVK3305.html

I think if I had a goose ball already I would probably just use that, but since I don't might as well install the full puck system. That would also allow me to use a rotating pin box if I felt like I needed to get more maneuverability. BW does not recommend using a rotating pin box with a goose box connection.
Old 07-30-2022, 12:22 PM   #27
chuckster57
Site Team

Gotcha. Sounds like you just need to pull the trigger and get busy.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 07-30-2022, 02:17 PM   #28
bsmith0404

Here’s some pics of one I just picked up today using my Curt hitch and Husky puck adapters. I’m not at a full 90 degrees, probably around 75. I think I could clear the cab and get to 90, but it’d be close. Don’t want to stress someone else’s suspension that much (it’s not my rv). I wouldn’t want to go any further than that anyway, don’t know that I’ve ever turned that short with one in 20 years of owning 5th wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5CDD7258-1555-4B2D-A021-57769F3E55F7.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	40896   Click image for larger version

Name:	4B00FEB8-DDCA-47C3-A9E6-4C4779A9D5E6.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	40897   Click image for larger version

Name:	DE4793DD-2266-4881-B5CA-7FBAD82EA3D5.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	40898   Click image for larger version

Name:	AD009472-824D-4549-B0A9-0A64DFC22A7F.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	244.4 KB
ID:	40899  
Old 07-31-2022, 07:18 AM   #29
RVGator

2021 GMC 3500 and Reese Goosebox on my rig and don’t have any turn issues. Dealer put it in a 90 degree situation before I left to see if it could be done. 6730 miles this summer with the RV and haven’t needed to get it into a 90 degree situation and hope I never will, but nice to know I can if necessary.
20k Reese Goosebox
RVGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 07:29 AM   #30
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGator View Post
2021 GMC 3500 and Reese Goosebox on my rig and don’t have any turn issues. Dealer put it in a 90 degree situation before I left to see if it could be done. 6730 miles this summer with the RV and haven’t needed to get it into a 90 degree situation and hope I never will, but nice to know I can if necessary.
Just curious how much space you had between cab of front cap. I’m planning to switch to either the Gen Y or Goosebox. There are things I like about both, partial to the Gen Y, but it loses 1” of cab clearance from the standard pin box position. I can’t find anything on the Goosebox that states the coupler location vs standard pin box.
Old 07-31-2022, 07:44 AM   #31
jsb5717

Found this on etrailer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reese Goose Box.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	40914  
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 07:52 AM   #32
RVGator

I probably had 2 inches of clearance left between cab and cap. I don’t have any experience with the Gen Y. They look beefy.

We’ve been very happy with the Reese Goosebox. Glad I chose it.
20k Reese Goosebox
RVGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 07:10 AM   #33
PauliWalnuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGator View Post
I probably had 2 inches of clearance left between cab and cap. I don’t have any experience with the Gen Y. They look beefy.

We’ve been very happy with the Reese Goosebox. Glad I chose it.
I have heard very good things about the Gen Y Executive. I like it because it doesn't have an air bag, and is less maintenance. The main issue is it could potentially void the lippert frame warranty.
Old 08-01-2022, 11:17 AM   #34
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PauliWalnuts View Post
I have heard very good things about the Gen Y Executive. I like it because it doesn't have an air bag, and is less maintenance. The main issue is it could potentially void the lippert frame warranty.
I’ve seen it on 1 customer unit we’re I used to work. It is very stout looking, I would contact Lippert about any warranty issues.

Old 08-02-2022, 04:28 AM   #35
PauliWalnuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I’ve seen it on 1 customer unit we’re I used to work. It is very stout looking, I would contact Lippert about any warranty issues.
Agreed. I have heard a couple versions one that the pin box companies don't want to pay for the testing to satisfy lippert and second that lippert owns reese so they want to direct revenue there. Maybe a combination of the two. I could see them denying a claim if it was directly at the mount point but not other failures. Having said all that I would think any pin box that cushions the chucking would be beneficial on the hitch point of both the RV and truck not to mention a smoother ride.
Old 08-02-2022, 05:13 AM   #36
bsmith0404

Quote:
I could see them denying a claim if it was directly at the mount point but not other failures. Having said all that I would think any pin box that cushions the chucking would be beneficial on the hitch point of both the RV and truck not to mention a smoother ride.
The spot that a 5th wheel gets stressed is where the transition is from the upper to lower portion of the from behind the pin box. The old style goose neck connections like you see on flatbed and horse trailer act as a lever and stress that area. Horse/cargo trailers have additional bracing to account for the stress, RVs don’t.

I agree that any hitch that eliminates chucking and has some type of function to reduce that lever action has to be better. I can say for fact that my Pullrite 2600 allows for movement as the ball rotates in the hitch. I get less chucking with it than what I’ve felt with the rotoflex or mor ryde pin boxes. That can’t be a bad thing!
Old 08-02-2022, 07:57 AM   #37
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Agreed. I have heard a couple versions one that the pin box companies don't want to pay for the testing to satisfy lippert and second that lippert owns reese so they want to direct revenue there. Maybe a combination of the two. I could see them denying a claim if it was directly at the mount point but not other failures. Having said all that I would think any pin box that cushions the chucking would be beneficial on the hitch point of both the RV and truck not to mention a smoother ride.

I agree completely that some of these new pin boxes and even gooseball adapters remove a lot of stress that would normally be transmitted into the trailer from the pin box. I think ultimately Lippert wants to drive sales to the Goose Box. The letter from Keystone indicated Lippert said any "goose ball adapter" other than the Goose Box would void the warranty. They weren't talking about the attachment/ball in the bed but rather any adaptation of the pin box to attach to the ball, which the Andersen uses, Gen Y and so does the Goose Box. Before buying a Gen Y I would definitely have them send me a letter (Keystone and Lippert) saying it was covered under warranty because everything I've seen/read tells me it's not.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 08:11 AM   #38
bsmith0404

They won’t send anything that states that. The only thing they sent me was that the Gen Y is still being tested for approval. They stated it DOES NOT void the warranty, but also stated they WOULD NOT be financially responsible for any damage caused by the hitch. To me those two statements contradict each other. I think it’s just their way of skirting the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act which basically states they cannot void or deny a warranty claim due to the use of aftermarket parts without PROVING the part caused the failure. Personally, I think it’s all lawyer talk, but we’ve discussed all this before.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:32 AM   #39
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
They won’t send anything that states that. The only thing they sent me was that the Gen Y is still being tested for approval. They stated it DOES NOT void the warranty, but also stated they WOULD NOT be financially responsible for any damage caused by the hitch. To me those two statements contradict each other. I think it’s just their way of skirting the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act which basically states they cannot void or deny a warranty claim due to the use of aftermarket parts without PROVING the part caused the failure. Personally, I think it’s all lawyer talk, but we’ve discussed all this before.

The statements are contradictory but the 2nd half puts the buyer of a Gen Y on notice that if something goes wrong it's not covered by warranty even if they say it doesn't "void" it per se. That's the reason I wanted to point out to the OP that the purchase of one will leave the buyer holding the bag in the event of a failure if it's within the warranty period barring some change, or a letter as I mentioned previously, to cover the buyer.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 11:32 AM   #40
Camp CA

At 0.27 min into this video Keystone indicates you can achieve up to 83 degree turning radius with a standard fifth wheel hitch in a short bed: https://www.keystonerv.com/innovatio...urn-technology. I had a standard fifth wheel hitch in a short bed truck for 16 years and never had a backing issue that would result in the trailer contacting the truck cab.

Tags
bed