Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2022, 10:52 AM   #1
TopoTony

Hot H2O problem

Our Hideout H2O heater has started misbehaving. It will come on, then, for about 30 seconds, it acts like there’s an interruption with the propane flow. The igniter will click a bunch of times, then stop as the flame stabilizes, then a few seconds later, it will do that again. After about a minute, that unusual behavior will cease and it will work fine.
The local repair shop wants $145. plus parts to service it. Is this something easily done on my own? I’ve replaced the anode with no problems. I’d just as soon try to fix it myself, however, if suburban heater specific experienced skills are necessary, obviously best left to them.
TopoTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 10:56 AM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopoTony View Post
Our Hideout H2O heater has started misbehaving. It will come on, then, for about 30 seconds, it acts like there’s an interruption with the propane flow. The igniter will click a bunch of times, then stop as the flame stabilizes, then a few seconds later, it will do that again. After about a minute, that unusual behavior will cease and it will work fine.
The local repair shop wants $145. plus parts to service it. Is this something easily done on my own? I’ve replaced the anode with no problems. I’d just as soon try to fix it myself, however, if suburban heater specific experienced skills are necessary, obviously best left to them.
sounds like a dirty flame sensor to me or possibly ground to the board corroded
Old 07-14-2022, 11:13 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Dirty burner tube can cause your issues. Remove it and check for spider webs. If yours has the adjustable air mixture baffle, loosen the screw and move the baffle until you have a steady “string” flame.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote