Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2022, 11:14 AM   #1
Alex

Inverter Ready & Power Station

Hi,
I am considering cutting the "loop" that is supplied by Keystone that feeds the AC outlets and powering it using a Delta EcoFlow Max unit. My reason for doing this is twofold. For ease of install and also then I can pull it out and use it around the house as needed vs dedicated batteries and inverter.

I attached a drawing showing "in my mind" the difference between doing it both ways. A "permanent install" vs a "non permanent install". I would basically be the "Auto Transfer Switch". I would have a male/female plug installed where I cut the "inverter loop". So when I am without shore power, I unplug the connection, then plug the male side into the Delta Max and all my inverted plugs would be energized.

Is my thinking correct or am I missing anything? It seems simple enough and gives me a little more flexibility being able to use the unit outside the camper.
Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Power Station.pdf (274.6 KB, 109 views)
Old 07-10-2022, 05:28 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Which unit are you looking at?
If you just cut the inverter loop and put plug ends on both, I would be worried about the Romex breaking with all the flexing and plugging/unplugging. Romex isn’t made do to that in my opinion, I’m not an electrician but my thought is if you really want to do it, use junction boxes and stranded cord of the proper gauge.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 03:05 AM   #3
Alex

Thank you for the suggestion. I was thinking of the Delta Ecoflow Max. So other than the wire flex it should work?
The spec says "The NEW Ecoflow Max is a 2400W, up to 3400W with Xboost (Surge 5000W) 2016Wh Portable Solar Generator.
So what would you say this equates to in AH?
Old 07-11-2022, 04:19 AM   #4
jasin1

I’d use twist lock male and female connectors and have them secured so they don’t get damaged during travel when the power station isn’t connected
Old 07-11-2022, 04:20 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

I have no idea. Is there an aH rating on the power station?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 07-11-2022, 04:25 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Thank you for the suggestion. I was thinking of the Delta Ecoflow Max. So other than the wire flex it should work?
The spec says "The NEW Ecoflow Max is a 2400W, up to 3400W with Xboost (Surge 5000W) 2016Wh Portable Solar Generator.
So what would you say this equates to in AH?
success! There are several "Ecoflow Max" models. They have a prefix like "River" or "Delta", etc. Which exact model are you considering? A link to the website you're quoting might help.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 04:29 AM   #7
Alex

https://us.ecoflow.com/products/delt...-power-station

They don't list the AH, I emailed them but no response yet. I thought there was a way to calculate it. It is the Max 2000.
Old 07-11-2022, 04:31 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

There might be a way, I’m not a mathematician.

Old 07-11-2022, 05:49 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Let's back up a bit. What are you trying to accomplish? What are you trying to power in the camper? The wire loop is either a white sheathed 14 ga. Romex that's rated up to 15 amps (or 15 amps X 120vac = 1,800 watts) or a yellow sheathed 12 GA. Romex rated for 20 amps (or 20 amps X 120vac = 2,400 watts).

Now to handle the "up to 3,400 watts (or 3,400 watts ÷120vac = 28.3 amps) would require a 30 amp Romex od 10 ga. I know the loop isn't 10 ga. As far as aH rating that's a factor of battery capacity not inverter capacity.

What you are considering will make your endeavor overly expensive, unessesarily complicated to install and be a PIA to install/remove to use elsewhere. It would far simpler to either install an inverter to the trailer loop wire or plug the trailer into the quoted device via a dog bone adapter.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 10:10 AM   #10
Gord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Hi,
I am considering cutting the "loop" that is supplied by Keystone that feeds the AC outlets and powering it using a Delta EcoFlow Max unit. My reason for doing this is twofold. For ease of install and also then I can pull it out and use it around the house as needed vs dedicated batteries and inverter.

I attached a drawing showing "in my mind" the difference between doing it both ways. A "permanent install" vs a "non permanent install". I would basically be the "Auto Transfer Switch". I would have a male/female plug installed where I cut the "inverter loop". So when I am without shore power, I unplug the connection, then plug the male side into the Delta Max and all my inverted plugs would be energized.

Is my thinking correct or am I missing anything? It seems simple enough and gives me a little more flexibility being able to use the unit outside the camper.
Thanks.
You could use a 2 pole 3 position rotary transfer switch like this http://www.amazon.ca/Baomain-Univers...W26-20-D202-2D Then you wouldn't have to be changing plugs over , just a simple turn of a switch. On edit it's possible the link won't work, so...search online for a 2 pole 3 position 120V 20amp rotary transfer switch.
Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 10:25 AM   #11
Gord

This link might work better. https://www.amazon.ca/Baomain-Univer...cx_mr_hp_atf_m
Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 12:35 PM   #12
Alex

Good questions Flybouy. The Romex is yellow so it is rated for 20 amps. Some of the things I want to power is the microwave, blow dryer for the wife occasionally, and a little bit of television. I know the microwave and the blow dryer will not run at the same time. So the Delta Max and the wiring can handle it at 2400 watts.

I am considering your second choice of just plugging it into the trailer via a dogbone adapter. This might be the way to go. Than I would have to remember to turn off the circuit breaker powering the converter I guess.

But let's talk about the first way for a second. I am looking for functionality, flexibility, ease of install, and cost.

1) Functionality wise it would work for the job described.

2) Flexibility would be much better too. Much easier to just pick up the unit and use it at home when needed. Could not do that with a battery and inverter hard wired and installed in the trailer.

3) Ease of install is much easier too. Just drop it in and plug in the wire when needed. Or just use a switch like Gord recommends. No need to install a separate battery(s) and inverter and needed wiring because it is all combined as one unit.

4) Cost. This is the tricky part and why I want to know the AH rating to see how many 100 AH batteries it compares with. $1800 for this unit which includes the inverter. A decent 100 AH Lithium battery is about $600 and a decent 2500w inverter with pass thru is about $600. So yes, the Delta Max is about $600 more at this point. But say the Delta Max has enough power as 2 batteries, now the cost is equal. And cost of install maybe a little less because less wiring is needed.

BUT, the Delta Max can be taken out as needed and used elsewhere. The hard wired version of battery and inverter can't be. Big plus here. More bang for your buck.

So what do you think? Do I make any sense with my logic?

I am waiting for a response from Delta on the AH.

And thank you Gord for the link and your suggestion, I did not think of that solution!

Tags
inverter, power