Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2022, 08:20 AM   #21
Sherwolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnelms View Post
Well I've been thinking for a LONG TIME that if some manufacturer made a RODENT-PROOF trailer, they'd have customers lined up for miles. My 2016 Cougar 5th wheel has so many entrance points for mice that it's almost hopeless to try to keep them out. After being inundated with mice (after only 2 weeks of sitting), my wife and I had to take out EVERYTHING in the RV, disinfect everything, plug all the crevices and holes coming into the cabin (including putting screens on all the heating vents), etc. It's ridiculous how many holes there are!

And that's just in the cabin. When you look UNDER the RV, it's pathetic how many entrance points there are. I painstakingly sealed them all though, EXCEPT for where the through-the-frame slide out mechanisms extent. It's impossible to seal that area without interfering with the gears.

I mean it. I'm both fed up and annoyed that manufacturers don't pay more attention to this. I mean -- we take these things CAMPING!!!!!
I have read about the ultra sonic rodent devices some people have used which supposedly repels rodents however those seem to have mixed reviews. Not sure there is really anyway to make them 100% rodent proof, at least we know the manufacture doesn't care, but like you, I am trying to make it less accessible.
2019 Magnetic Gray F250 Lariat Super Duty, Screw, 6.2L, 4x4, 3:73 Electronic Locking Gear, Ultra Flex Tonneau Cover
Sherwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:58 AM   #22
Mic

peppermint oil works for me most of the time

else bait stations OUTSIDE the unit
Old 07-07-2022, 09:16 AM   #23
Diane lambert

Red Squirrel

We had the same problem.
Keystone Montana.
The squirrels got in at the back of the unit.where there is a bumper hitch is wide open for them to get in.
We got them out .
We got under unit and sealed every whole that we could see.
But before we knew they were there, they had done a lot of damage.
They chewed the wires to air conditioning and heating system.
We had to have the roof taken off to repair the wiring.
Very expensive project.
So , I hope this has not happened yet.
Diane lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 09:41 AM   #24
bobnelms

I have 5 ultrasonic devices in my cabin, and 2 in the basement. I have used peppermint oil, and just about everything else you can think of.

I was looking a a few new Jayco units the other day, and their thru-the-frame slideout mechanisms were MIGHT tighter than my 2016 Cougar. I mean, I tried putting my finger in the space between the frame and the slideout mechanism and I couldn't fit it. DEFINITELY in the right direction.
bobnelms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 11:54 AM   #25
wiredgeorge

Quote:
I have 5 ultrasonic devices in my cabin, and 2 in the basement. I have used peppermint oil, and just about everything else you can think of.

I was looking a a few new Jayco units the other day, and their thru-the-frame slideout mechanisms were MIGHT tighter than my 2016 Cougar. I mean, I tried putting my finger in the space between the frame and the slideout mechanism and I couldn't fit it. DEFINITELY in the right direction.
Mice and cockroaches don't need a finger's width to get in. My wife and I were camping last year, sitting in our recliners watching TV. It was kinda chilly in the RV so we both had blankets over us. A mouse ran up from my feet to over my head and got up above the cabinets. THERE WAS A SCREAM and found my missus has mouse-phobia. She had me chase the mouse around with a broom and never got it.

When we got home, we put out traps, bait, ultrasonic, stinky oil and she made me fill every hole where a mouse might get in or through or... well you get the idea. Haven't had a mouse get seen by the missus since. Up in the pass through we regularly get pieces of nuts and stuff; not sure if mice or other rodents. If you have a camper, use every anti-mouse defense but still plan on hearing a scream now and again.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 12:17 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Well I've been thinking for a LONG TIME that if some manufacturer made a RODENT-PROOF trailer, they'd have customers lined up for miles. My 2016 Cougar 5th wheel has so many entrance points for mice that it's almost hopeless to try to keep them out. After being inundated with mice (after only 2 weeks of sitting), my wife and I had to take out EVERYTHING in the RV, disinfect everything, plug all the crevices and holes coming into the cabin (including putting screens on all the heating vents), etc. It's ridiculous how many holes there are!

And that's just in the cabin. When you look UNDER the RV, it's pathetic how many entrance points there are. I painstakingly sealed them all though, EXCEPT for where the through-the-frame slide out mechanisms extent. It's impossible to seal that area without interfering with the gears.

I mean it. I'm both fed up and annoyed that manufacturers don't pay more attention to this. I mean -- we take these things CAMPING!!!!!

^^^^Ahh, yes we do. In my neck of the woods (when I'm in the woods) there are mice, wood rats, squirrels, bats, bears, coyotes, bobcats, mountain lions and you name it when I'm out and about. The camper, penetrations and all, keep those things at bay most of the time so no big worries to me. To me it's more like "glamping" instead of "camping". In that big sealed, warm/cool and dry RV vs laying on the rocks in a sleeping bag waiting to see if a rattler wants to crawl in and get warm....nah, I'm happy with my RV quirks and all.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 12:20 PM   #27
SRD

Been there done that

Several years ago while camping I was awakened by a critter crawling in my ceiling. Like you thought it was on the outside but as I lay in bed I could hear it crawling around in the cap of my trailer. What a stressful night. Next morning I started looking for places of entry and found very few until I crawled under the nose of my trailer and from side to side and where the front cargo hold stops to the back side of the cap is totally open. So got some screen easy to work with but strong enough to keep something from chewing through it and sealed up the area. Couldn’t believe that much area would’ve been left exposed when it was built
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 04:45 AM   #28
61Hawks

For what its worth I have read that critters don't like walking on tarps so during covid we couldn't get to our rv for 2 years, as it was in the US and we were in Canada so we used the electronic deterrents and parked the rv on a tarp from one end to the other. When we finally got back to the rv there were no signs of any critters. I know this is not practical for short stays but maybe it will help someone for winter storage. Good luck.
61Hawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 03:54 PM   #29
richck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwolfe View Post
Okay, hopefully I got these pictures right and it will help explain where I plan to add wire mesh.
Hello,
I had the exact same problem. Every trip we'd get mice in the walls/ ceiling/ and eventually the cabin. However, I think we've found a solution (5 trips with no rodents). I bought some steel mesh for the fiberglass bullnose and areas underneath. I bought some metal to hold up the chloroplast by the dump valves. I use a rubber ring around the slide out mechanism (which I install once it's out). I've uploaded some pictures for reference.
Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5056.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	40713   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5057.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	40714   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5058.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	40715  
Old 07-15-2022, 04:15 PM   #30
bobnelms

Now THAT looks promising. Good idea about the rubber ring.
bobnelms is offline   Reply With Quote