Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2022, 05:43 AM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

In my opinion 12v dc tvs aren't desirable. They was a demand for them years ago when folks wanted to watch tv going down the road in a motor home before the tvs got more energy efficiant and the small inverters became more efficiant, smaller, and inexpensive.

From the description the OP doesn't have 12 bvdc available so I would simply run 12 vdc to a 12 vdc outlet by the current tv and get a small inverter to plug in. Simpler, more economical and the components are easily replaceable.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 06:12 AM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camperklahowya View Post
that is a brilliant solution! So you're using a standard tv for home use? Does it hold up to all the bumps being in a trailer?

When I bought this trailer the Furrion unit was junk IMO and I replaced it immediately. Wanted a Samsung but could not find one with 3 HDMI ports in my size so bought a Vizio. It's a home model and works fine. Put a home model in my last trailer when I replaced it and nary a problem - they will work fine in your RV - and I've been on some rough roads.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 06:21 AM   #23
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Here's just one example... https://www.asaelectronics.com/product/jrv9000r/ didn't take a lot of time to "search" to find out. No it doesn't require an external DVD player as it has one built it. Furrion also makes similar models.
The Jensen appears to be HDMI input not output. All the data I can find on it states input. It states smart phone connectivity through HDMI and some of the reviews talked about HDMI input. I saw it has subwoofer connection through RCA, but that’s only the subwoofer. It didn’t specify other rear connections. Tried going through the owners manual, but that only shows stuff about the navigation. My personal thought is that it is designed to be in a car and play DVDs on its own screen. I don’t believe it has HDMI output. I also don’t think I would put a $550 stereo with navigation that can’t be used in my travel trailer just so I could play DVDs when there are other, more price conscious options available, but it’s not my trailer or my money. If I’m wrong, so be it. I would just like to see something in the specs/manual/pics that actually states HDMI output.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 06:25 AM   #24
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
When I bought this trailer the Furrion unit was junk IMO and I replaced it immediately. Wanted a Samsung but could not find one with 3 HDMI ports in my size so bought a Vizio. It's a home model and works fine. Put a home model in my last trailer when I replaced it and nary a problem - they will work fine in your RV - and I've been on some rough roads.
I know they make TVs that are impact/shock resistant for things like RVs, but I agree they aren’t necessary. I’ve never had an issue with my residential TVs in the RV either. I personally don’t think things bounce around as much as people think in these newer RVs. I figure if I can leave my coffee pot on the counter while traveling, the tv isn’t getting beat up that much either.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 07:09 AM   #25
mikec557

Quote:
I figure if I can leave my coffee pot on the counter while traveling, the tv isn’t getting beat up that much either.
Now THAT'S a yardstick I can get behind!
☕ ☕ ☕
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:49 PM   #26
SDFlip

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Welcome to the forum

Congrats on your new purchase, let’s see if we can get you going to watch tv/movies while dry camping.

You can start with this tv:

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-TV/Jense...ent=0%20-%2030

Now the only issue is getting 12V to the TV. If the radio is right there you could easily tap into the power/ground to the radio.

Get a 12V receptacle and your good to go.

This is what I do. It is the easiest way to gol
SDFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 07:03 PM   #27
Camperklahowya

Hi All,
Update here, I bought a new IRV stereo with dvd player and an inverter so I could keep the standard tv.
All went smooth and with my two lithium batteries and the solar flex 200 watt system I think it's going to work very well for us.
The only pain was that the previous stereo had a different connector wire configuration, so I spent some time cutting wires and splicing overall not too bad.
The battery wire has an inline fuse which gives me some piece of mind that I won't over tax the wiring.

Thanks for all the help!
Camperklahowya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade