Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2022, 09:35 AM   #1
grey ghost

Satillite problems

Ok, I've been told the satellite companies have made some changes and that carry out satellite dishes like my playmaker will no longer work. Here is my question:
A couple of weeks ago while camping our tv was hooked up from the satellite to the RV connections in the camper. One morning the tv no longer worked. I tried everything, moving the playmaker around but the sky was open with no restrictions anywhere! I called Dish and we worked for hours, but nothing would work. Then I tried hooking up the cable directly from the satellite to the the Wally inside the camper and that works just fine, however I now have a coax cable running thru a window rather than thru the camper hookup. I've cked the coax cable from the tv back to the inside Satellite hook up in the camper and there are no breaks or cuts in that. So what gives? I have a 2020 Montana 3121RL, has anyone ever drilled a hole thru the side wall of the rig and hooked up the cable directly to the wall thru that and not use the rig set up. My satellite hook up in the rig is where you turn on the water and hook up water lines to feed the rig. I'm thinking about running the cable thru the side wall on the living room slide wall that has the tv, sink and rig on it. Anyone else having this sort of problem????
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 09:49 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Do you have the "KeyTV" setup in the service bay? If you do, is the blue light illuminated on it? The KeyTV is known to be problematic.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 09:58 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

I had Dish TV and a Playmaker antenna and a Wally receiver. Since my trailer is old, I didn't bother ever to connected to the connector located to the rear labeled cable. In fact, I never saw where it came out in the cabin.

What I did do was take a hole saw and drill a hole in the wall and install a bulkhead connector and connect my RG6 directly to this connector from the antenna. There was a short piece of RG6 coax on the inside connected to the outside connector and connected directly to my Wally. I carried various lengths of RG6.

I normally set my Playmaker on my slideout which allows for a very short piece of coax (about 12' as I recall) but had lengths up to 75' which also worked in the event I had to set the Playmaker on a tripod if there were obstructions of the southern sky.

I also had a spare Wally because first time out, my brand new Wally died. I received a warranty replacement but didn't get it until we had return home from our camping trip. It rained every day while we camped and the OTA antenna only pulled in 3 channels (one of which was a QVC as i recall).
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 12:19 PM   #4
grey ghost

Thanks, very helpful and explained the process you used very well!! I think I'm going to drill a hole in my slide wall directly opposite the tv and up the coax directly to the wally inside. I'm sure that will work as you described. Again, thanks for your reply!!
Old 06-18-2022, 12:23 PM   #5
grey ghost

Yes I do. I'm going to drill a hole in the outside slide wall directly behind the TV and run a coax cable directly to my wally through that hole, I'm sure that will work since running the coax through a window works well. Thanks for your response.
Old 06-18-2022, 12:29 PM   #6
dutchmensport

"I have a 2020 Montana 3121RL, has anyone ever drilled a hole thru the side wall of the rig and hooked up the cable directly to the wall thru that and not use the rig set up."

I don't have Dish TV any more (gave it up several years ago), but when we still had it in a previous travel trailer, I had problems when I connected directly to the jack in the trailer. I ended up stringing the coax cable directly from the Tailgater to the receiver box. I ended up shoving the cable through the electrical cord (30 amp) mouse hole, fed the coax under the refrigerator, around the furnace and drilled a small hole near the floor where the other end of the coax came through. When traveling, I'd simply shove both ends of the coax into their respective holes. It worked and I didn't have to drill any holes on the outside skin of the trailer. I used an existing entry port.

You might consider feeding the coax through a different entry point so you don't have to drill holes on the side of your camper. Be creative, there is a solution.
Old 06-18-2022, 01:13 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey ghost View Post
Thanks, very helpful and explained the process you used very well!! I think I'm going to drill a hole in my slide wall directly opposite the tv and up the coax directly to the wally inside. I'm sure that will work as you described. Again, thanks for your reply!!
There is enough gap to feed the coax at the corner of the slide, no need to drill any holes. That’s how I did it on my previous fiver that didn’t have Sat in.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 07:35 PM   #8
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey ghost View Post
Yes I do. I'm going to drill a hole in the outside slide wall directly behind the TV and run a coax cable directly to my wally through that hole, I'm sure that will work since running the coax through a window works well. Thanks for your response.
I drilled a hole adjacent to my inside entertainment center where my wally was located and installed one of these on the outside.
https://www.amazon.com/RecPro-Coaxia...3&sr=8-13&th=1

When I stopped using Dish, I removed it and use the hole to pass through antenna leads for my WiFi booster system and Cell Booster system and cover the penetration with a King CE2000 Cable Entry Cover but would not recommend this as you have to seal the area where the coax comes through the wall:
https://www.amazon.com/KING-CE2000-P...s%2C496&sr=8-3
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 01:57 AM   #9
RickV

I did this after getting tired of messing with KeyTV issues and it works great. Where I drilled was where my entertainment center is. I had to take out one of the speakers to hook things up on the inside. I also ran a 25' HDMI cable to the bedroom TV and used this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and picked up a second remote so when we are in bed we can watch Dish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220618_35339.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	40322  

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote