Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2022, 10:10 AM   #1
pluviophile

Roof/Siding Bubble Issue

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what is happening here and the solution to fixing it. I am hoping it is just weathering and needs to be either restapled or is this a roofing issue and we need to use erternabond and redo the entire roof and that would fix it?
I appreciate any advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image0.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	40143   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	40144   Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	40145  
pluviophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 11:34 AM   #2
Jake's Keystone

Welcome to the site! Ok so that definitely doesn't look right. Looks like you got some water infiltration and the back has poped out. That strip across the back at the top needs to be removed, see how the water got in, have that sealed. Make sure everything is dried out before closing up.
Now some may say fill the void with epoxy and press it back together but when I fixed my delamination around a window I didn't.
This repair depends how handy you are. What year is the OUTBACK?

2022 GMC Sierra HD AT4
2022 Cougar 3169RLS
New and Traded
Jake's Keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 11:52 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

First, welcome to the site. I have never seen an A/C unit on a roof that wasn't center mounted.. Your's makes me dizzy looking at it. Next, a great idea would be to put together a signature. Under UserCP on each page, top/left. Save it. Year, make and model of camper and same for tow vehicle.

As far as your camper being sealed. I believe that the rear panel on many models (stuff is called filon) is NOT glued down but is held in place by the trim. Many bulge a little for that reason depending on atmosperics. As noted, you need to take off that top horizontal trim piece and replace it. It will have screws with Robertson heads (square) holding it. Get the part that has come out back up and under and use self leveling Dicor over the roof top part of the seam and all the trim screws. Use NON self leveling Dicor to seal the back side part of the trim. Dicor non self leveling won't run in sun light as will the self leveling. I would NOT try gluing the filon. Smarter people will come along with smarter advice I guess but do get that signature on your posts.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 01:18 PM   #4
bsmith0404

The outback is a hung wall not a laminated wall. Keystone has always said they do it that way because of all the wiring inside the wall, it’s easier to fix. I have seen some slide down, which I’m guessing is what yours is doing. Check the bottom corners and see if it looks like the wall has come down from the side a bit. If so, it not just a matter of fixing the the top, it’s fixing the entire back. The concern i have with yours is the bubble will have a memory and want to keep doing that.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 02:10 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

The moldings on the sides are what holds the wall in place so it can’t slide down. That looks like water intrusion to me, and it’s not going to be an easy fix.

Take the rear top transition molding off and look at the back side of the filon. It will be bonded to either Luan or cardboard. If the roof truss is SOLID, you might get lucky enough to flatten it out and staple the top edge trying to stay high enough for the top molding to cover the staples.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 09:00 PM   #6
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
The moldings on the sides are what holds the wall in place so it can’t slide down..
I wouldn’t say can’t, I’ve seen it happen. Shouldn’t or not supposed to would be a better way to say it. It’s not a common thing to happen, but something the OP should at least check to make sure. Just a small amount of drop can allow the top to slip out. I doubt that’s what happened, but if it did and isn’t fixed, the top will keep popping out.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof