Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2022, 06:10 PM   #1
Kathyfog

Winegard

Ok, so newbe here. Have 22 cougar 364BHL. Trying to connect and get WiFi. Bought gateway to connect to existing pre wired WiFi. Got the bubble off and found the 3 wires but the 12 volt power wire is a loop and has no terminal end to connect to gateway. Is the only way to connect to cut the wire and find which end has power? Thanks for help
Kathyfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 06:19 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If I remember right that is the power to the antenna, you need to splice into it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 07:59 PM   #3
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyfog View Post
Ok, so newbe here. Have 22 cougar 364BHL. Trying to connect and get WiFi. Bought gateway to connect to existing pre wired WiFi. Got the bubble off and found the 3 wires but the 12 volt power wire is a loop and has no terminal end to connect to gateway. Is the only way to connect to cut the wire and find which end has power? Thanks for help
I split the two wires from each other and used a couple of those blue clip on taps to connect my WiFi Ranger Osprey to power.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-05-29 235856.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	39956  

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 07:56 AM   #4
JonTCaz

Hi Kathy, If you haven't cut the wires yet, don't do it. This product is unreliable and not worth installing.

I want to try to help people not have the same problems I went through. I have been through 3 of these and cannot get one to work consistently. I could get it to work for a few hours then the SSID would disappear from my device, and I would lose service. I tried T-Mobile thinking that it could be a Verizon problem, no, T-Mobile did not work at all, at least Verizon worked for a few hours. If I removed the power and let it reboot, it would work again for a few hours. I want to be able to control my RV remotely with this device and it does not do the job. The first unit I returned for a refund. Then second 2 I bought directly from Winegard thinking that I could eliminate the middleman. Winegard did send me a replacement, but it had the same symptoms. I asked them for a refund, but they would not refund because it was beyond the 30-day limit. My 2022 Keystone Fuzion is parked 250 miles away from home so I would have to communicate with Winegard during the week and try to trouble shoot on the weekends. Winegard had me test voltage, I must have tested it 20 times and it was always 13.3 volts, then they had me hook it up to a battery, which I did at 13.1 volts (Golf cart battery), the same thing happened to it on the battery. Any way, if you want something that will give you headaches and not be reliable buy this gateway. I donated 300.00 to Winegard.
JonTCaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 08:54 AM   #5
Javi

Just as a point.. mine has been trouble free for nearly two years..
Old 08-26-2022, 08:56 AM   #6
JonTCaz

Maybe they have changed something in the manufacturing process?
JonTCaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 09:02 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

All the ones I have installed for customers have worked fine.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 01:28 PM   #8
M&M2

I am using the gateway going on 2 years with no problems. Recommend updating firmware/software. Recently installed a SIM card and use for TV streaming and satisfied with how it works.

I chose to run separate power and installed the provided switch in the control cabinet instead of splicing at the ceiling.
Old 08-26-2022, 06:45 PM   #9
stlrswvu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyfog View Post
Did you figure out yet how to wire it up? I just bought one for my new sprinter and when I pulled the cap down the wires do not look the same from all the videos I watched. I do have the loop wire you mentioned, but also have some additional wires. I called wineguard and keystone and both were useless. when I bought it The dealership said it was plug and play. If I have to wire something up, I do not consider that pkug and play. I wish they already had the clip up there and wished only had to clip that into the unit along with the three antenna wires. Hope someone responds on actually how to do this successfully. The one response talked about wiring up the switch where the other switches are located. How did you get the wires from the router to the switch area? Thanks
stlrswvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 08:42 PM   #10
M&M2

Where the antenna wires go to the antenna you should also find the power wire which will be the positive and negative. That is where the instructions want you to wire it by using some splice method.

I removed the fan shroud and used a fish tape to pull a new wire to the gateway and then to the control panel. If you aren’t comfortable with wiring new circuits stick with splice method.
Old 08-28-2022, 04:32 PM   #11
RVGator

When I installed mine it had the “loop” as well. Just cut it and splice the 2 wires plus the power wire for the gateway together for the power. Easy as that.

It has been working flawlessly since. Way better than relying on campground Wi-Fi.
20k Reese Goosebox
RVGator is offline   Reply With Quote