Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2022, 05:03 PM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Does a Chevy use a Saginaw gear box? If so I believe they did have the adjustment screw, at least I've adjusted them on "some" gearing boxes. If not done correctly they can make the vehicle extremely twitchy and fairly dangerous. The adjustment won't correct worn gears. Depending on the type of steering shaft it could have any number of kinds of flex plates etc. in the joints. I had great luck just putting a Borgeson steering shaft on anything when I started working on the steering. Doesn't fix everything but can tighten things up a bit depending on the location of the "slop". All the steering linkages are notorious for developing slop as well. I usually just replaced everything from the firewall to the back of the hubs so I didn't have to worry about this and that every time I looked up. Also, just came to mind; look around that steering box, sometimes the frame can crack around it causing some flex.

Edit: For clarification on the adjustment screw on the steering gear box; the last one I messed with was on a 1990 model so newer ones have more than likely changed.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:14 PM   #22
Robear

There’s a very good front end repair shop near me. Even though I do a lot of the work on my vehicles, I’m ignorant about steering and suspension diagnostics.
Thanks for your input guys!
-Robert
Robear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 05:03 AM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robear View Post
There’s a very good front end repair shop near me. Even though I do a lot of the work on my vehicles, I’m ignorant about steering and suspension diagnostics.
Thanks for your input guys!
-Robert
Most diagnosing is a matter of visual inspection. Have someone start the truck and wiggle the steering wheel back and forth. Slowly turning the the wheel just far enough in each direction to feel resistance. While someone is doing this lay down with a flashlight and focus the light on each connection one at a time. For instance, starting on the driver side look at the tie rod, then the drag link, sway bar links, body mounts, etc. working your way over to the other wheel. If a joint, connection, or mount is worn then one component will move before the one that it's connected to. Look closely at anything mounted to the frame (like sway bars &sway bar links) and other connections with nylon mounts and bushings. With age they can wear, split and loosen and collectively cause issues.

If that reveals no issues then they will jack up a wheel a high enough to get a prybar or length of sturdy pipe under the tire. Prying up then releasing the pressure can reveal worn ball joints and excessive bearing play. Grabbing the tire at the top and pulling/pushing on it will check the other axis. Also bounce the corners of the truck to check for worn shocks as well as visually inspecting for a dity/oil trail comming from the shock piston down the body of the shock. Basically this is what a "front- end" shop will do to diagnose the steering.

I personally don't do this type work any longer due to an injury resulting in numerous surgeries but have used this method hundreds of times in my youth.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 05:17 AM   #24
wiredgeorge

At some point most of us gain enough wisdom through the aging process to drive the vehicle to the good suspension shop nearby and let someone else rebuild the front end. This wisdom is brought about by advanced age.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 05:54 AM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
At some point most of us gain enough wisdom through the aging process to drive the vehicle to the good suspension shop nearby and let someone else rebuild the front end. This wisdom is brought about by advanced age.
For me pain preceeded age. I broke my back and pelvis when I was 22 yr old. I learned how to compensate for that and continued on. In 1988 a work accident resulted in a string of 13 surgical procedures over the years. Seven on my cervical spine so it's got more metal in it than a new car. the last surgery was 6 years ago and all of this resulted in chronic pain and numbness in my neck, shoulders, arms and hands. One thing is for certian, age hasn't improved the situation.

The older I get the more I pay for the injuries in my youth.
Old 05-29-2022, 08:39 AM   #26
Robear

Dang it, now I gotta crawl under the truck and give it an inspection lol!
It’s getting harder in my old age to get on the ground, but I really don’t have an excuse.
I’ll let you know if I see anything obvious.
Thanks again for your input.
-Robert
Robear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 09:06 AM   #27
chuckster57
Site Team

What is considered “advanced age”?

I’m 65 this last month, and still work on RVs and autos on the weekend. I was born with leg, feet issues and was told on 1974 that I would be in a wheelchair by age 30.

CAN’T stop WON’T stop.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 09:17 AM   #28
flybouy
Site Team

Like my uncle that was a mechanic used to say "It ain't the age it's the milage" when talking about cars. I guess I'm a "high milage" unit.
Old 05-29-2022, 09:53 AM   #29
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Like my uncle that was a mechanic used to say "It ain't the age it's the milage" when talking about cars. I guess I'm a "high milage" unit.
I was told I need a knee replacement 6 years ago, The doctor described is as 150,00 miles on a 100,000 mile knee, I guess all the years of cross country and track did it in. I live on OTC meds for now.

Anyway we took an unexpected off ramp, like a bunch of threads on here

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 10:29 AM   #30
wiredgeorge

Well, it is clear from the comments that we do have some seniors on this site. I am older than most of you and have my share of physical challenges. We will soon be where more older folks go in any conversation... a listing of procedures and meds.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 06:12 PM   #31
GeoJoe

Hey guys - first post

I took this

to this

and it's running strong. 5.7L V8

and I've got a Hideout 262BH incoming!
GeoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tundra