Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2022, 05:26 AM   #1
Hali_Mark

Help! Where is this leak coming from?

Got my trailer out of storage and noticed the floor was swelled and soft in the marked area. Last year was out first year owning the trailer and while the wallpaper was rippled, there was never any evidence of water in the floor area.

I took the window frame off to check, and no evidence of anything there, same with the door frame. Sprayed water at both and no leaks found. There is no evidence of water on the floor, but it's somehow getting into the floor, under the vinyl. I saw another thread where someone had an issue with the long exterior trim piece not having sealant in the screw holes. Could that be what's happening here?

The underside of the trailer is in perfect condition, membrane is intact and the wood is dry and solid.

I plan to remove the cabinet faces shown in the pic and cut the floor along the edges and along the wall, so I can lay it back down and the cuts will be hidden. Hoping there isn't too much damage yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220515_120501~2.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	39794  
Hali_Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 06:06 AM   #2
bsmith0404

Water can creep a long way and show up at a stopping point. Based on your pics, I’m guessing your bathroom is close to that area. Could also be the door sill. Maybe running down from the roof seem (I doubt that’s the problem, but don’t rule it out and inspect it). Water damage with no visible water can be very difficult to find.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 06:32 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

If there is no indication of water coming from above or below I'd look into the entry door as a possible source.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 06:41 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
If there is no indication of water coming from above or below I'd look into the entry door as a possible source.
That’s my first thought

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 06:50 AM   #5
Hali_Mark

Thanks for all replies.

I added more pictures to help explain. Def not the bathroom as it's on the opposite side and end of the trailer.

I thought it might be the cargo hatch, but there is no evidence of any damage near it, and the damage in the bedroom is 12" away. The seal around it is good and no water entry when sprayed with hose.

Most likely culprit seems to be the entry door, but the entire opening along the floor is perfect.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20220518_113704.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	39795   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016_Keystone_Bullet_274BHS_edit_156183697286059.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	39796  
Old 05-18-2022, 07:04 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Did you spray the whole door, including the window?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 07:46 AM   #7
jlc

What year is your camper?
jlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 08:11 AM   #8
Hali_Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Did you spray the whole door, including the window?
Yes, had it on full jet setting and did the entire door and around the trim, window and cargo hatch.
Old 05-18-2022, 08:11 AM   #9
Hali_Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc View Post
What year is your camper?
2016 Bullet 274BHS
Old 05-18-2022, 08:14 AM   #10
NH_Bulldog

Two areas I would investigate; the roof where it meets the front cap or the awning mounting rail
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 08:16 AM   #11
jsb5717

Could be either the door or the window. Just takes a small void for water to get around the frame somewhere where there might be a small gap in the butyl tape or sealant. But could also be the same scenario along the roof line as well. Also, is there anything mounted into the exterior wall in that vicinity...like an outlet, a light, or a door catch? Any penetration of the wall is an opportunity for a leak. Time for a fine-tooth-comb inspection.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 08:24 AM   #12
Kojac

I had a problem with my window, I had to press down very hard for the window to seal! The window was on the side of the main slide and would only leak when the slide was out!
20K Reese Goosebox
Kojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 08:31 AM   #13
wegone

Water does crazy things.....

HOWEVER, one thing is for certain, it ALWAYS travels the path of least resistance.

I can't help but think maybe the water traveled there in storage because it was a low spot.

I know I once was laxs in putting my trailer up before the next trip.
It rained pretty good, and all the water on the roof ran to one side that had my biggest slide-out, and under that onslaught in over ran the gutters and seeped in behind the top seal onto the slide roof, and eventually onto the floor.

It was caught before damage because it laid upon the floor, not under it.

I now am extremely certain my side to side leveling is spot on, and then for good measure, I give the trailer a little more tongue up, as the rear of my trailer has less spots for water to get it.
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:15 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

the vertical awning support arm is directly between the window and the door. At the lower end of that arm is a hole through the trailer wall (supposedly sealed with silicone) that was drilled to feed the electrical wiring from the belly to the awning. There is also 4 to 8 bolts holding that support arm to the trailer wall. EVERY one of those bolts is subject to leaking as is the 1" hole drilled through the outer FILON of the sidewall.

The awning rail, mounted at the top of the trailer, just below the roof membrane molding, has a long history of being pulled away from the trailer by strong winds buffeting the awning and literally "jerking the screws loose". That is an excellent place for water to run off the roof, behind the awning rail and into the wall through the loose screw holes.

I'd start by rolling the awning out about a foot, getting on a ladder and looking very carefully at the top of the awning rail for loose sealant, loose screws and any evidence of water intrusion. Then I'd pull the plastic covers out of the front vertical awning rail and inspect everything you see that looks like it might penetrate the FILON skin on the trailer.

If it's not the trailer door, which would be my "first suspect for a leak", then it's either the awning rail or the vertical awning rail. Chances are very slim that the J-wrap molding is leaking, but I'd also check that, but that area is a low probability for the leak.

So, first suspect, door frame. Second is the top awning fabric rail, third is the vertical awning support arm and last is the J-wrap molding.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 12:09 PM   #15
curtiscapk

I bet your right John after looking at the layout pic the awning post is exactly right there. Good call! Let us know what you find.
2013 F150 5.0 2WD
Equalizer 4 WDH
Overland Park, KS
curtiscapk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 12:42 PM   #16
Hali_Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
the vertical awning support arm is directly between the window and the door. At the lower end of that arm is a hole through the trailer wall (supposedly sealed with silicone) that was drilled to feed the electrical wiring from the belly to the awning. There is also 4 to 8 bolts holding that support arm to the trailer wall. EVERY one of those bolts is subject to leaking as is the 1" hole drilled through the outer FILON of the sidewall.

The awning rail, mounted at the top of the trailer, just below the roof membrane molding, has a long history of being pulled away from the trailer by strong winds buffeting the awning and literally "jerking the screws loose". That is an excellent place for water to run off the roof, behind the awning rail and into the wall through the loose screw holes.

I'd start by rolling the awning out about a foot, getting on a ladder and looking very carefully at the top of the awning rail for loose sealant, loose screws and any evidence of water intrusion. Then I'd pull the plastic covers out of the front vertical awning rail and inspect everything you see that looks like it might penetrate the FILON skin on the trailer.

If it's not the trailer door, which would be my "first suspect for a leak", then it's either the awning rail or the vertical awning rail. Chances are very slim that the J-wrap molding is leaking, but I'd also check that, but that area is a low probability for the leak.

So, first suspect, door frame. Second is the top awning fabric rail, third is the vertical awning support arm and last is the J-wrap molding.
This is excellent information, thank you.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:55 PM   #17
Hali_Mark

Ok, peeled the floor back and it's spread much more than I thought. The largest area is under the window/awning support, although I can't tell how far into the center of the bedroom it extends. It doesn't appear to have run across the trailer side to side though.

The floor itself isn't too soaked, and hasn't started to fall apart yet, is still solid when sticking a screwdriver into it.

I can peek behind the wallpaper and it looks to have wicked up into the wall panel 3-4".

I'll inspect all the exterior areas mentioned, see if anything obvious is visible.

I've got the hatch and door open to get some air through to try and dry it up, we're going on the first trip of the year Friday.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20220518_174038.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	265.5 KB
ID:	39801  
Old 05-18-2022, 01:20 PM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

It may be my screen on my tablet but when I zoom in on the window it looks like there's no frame on the bottom. Anyone see this?
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 01:56 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

I didn't see it but do now. It does appear that the interior framing/trim/seal is missing on the bottom. Mine attach and screw in from the inside. Missing part? Prior repairs?
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:09 PM   #20
Hali_Mark

Not sure what you guys are referring to, maybe the threshold piece that covers the door opening? That's off to the side so I could cut the vinyl along the frame.

Tags
leak