Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2022, 04:42 PM   #1
JohnP

Furnace update

Well guess what I was having similar issues as other members were complaining about with the furnace fan coming on for 10 or 20 seconds then no ignition I tried my furnace this spring upon opening the trailer and same problem it wouldn't light I got mad after trying it several times took the grill off got a stick and whacked the heck out of the top of the Furnace for about 20 seconds then tried the thermostat to start the furnace and it works beautiful from now on. So whatever that did it worked for me. Haha!
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 04:47 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

The question will be for how long?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 06:08 PM   #3
JohnP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Well, I know this isn't the best way to fix an issue. It may only last a short time, but I will let everyone know the next time the furnace lets me down. I'm curious if the banging on the outer shell of the furnace jarred the sail switch which may have stuck or ....????
Old 05-15-2022, 06:18 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Well, I know this isn't the best way to fix an issue. It may only last a short time, but I will let everyone know the next time the furnace lets me down. I'm curious if the banging on the outer shell of the furnace jarred the sail switch which may have stuck or ....????
I wouldn't consider beating on a furnace "fixing it". Whatever caused it to fail will most assuredly return. Likely a sail switch but could be any number of other things. Usually it will fail the next time on the coldest night imaginable, at least that's how my luck runs.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 03:50 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

My first thought when you said you "beat the furnace with a stick" was that you dislodged the sail switch (a known problem) and it started working again. My concern with the practice of "beating a furnace" is other damage, such as breaking the exhaust seal (allowing CO into the trailer) or a cracked firebox. While they may not look like they are fragile, the furnace isn't designed to withstand "stick beatings" without internal damage. Maybe you did, maybe you didn't, but I'd make double sure the CO monitor is working properly.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 05:47 AM   #6
JohnP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
My first thought when you said you "beat the furnace with a stick" was that you dislodged the sail switch (a known problem) and it started working again. My concern with the practice of "beating a furnace" is other damage, such as breaking the exhaust seal (allowing CO into the trailer) or a cracked firebox. While they may not look like they are fragile, the furnace isn't designed to withstand "stick beatings" without internal damage. Maybe you did, maybe you didn't, but I'd make double sure the CO monitor is working properly.....
Maybe I used the wrong word "beating " sounds like I really thrashed it ,,, but didn't. It was a paint stir stick, not much weight to it and in the cavity theres not much room to get any momentum. I should have said multiple tapping. If it cant take that then it's not fit to be in a travel tailer bouncing on some bad bumps on the roads.
Old 05-16-2022, 08:14 AM   #7
wrvond

FWIW I rather enjoyed the mental image of Alley Oop whacking away with his club...

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:24 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
FWIW I rather enjoyed the mental image of Alley Oop whacking away with his club...
Same with me. In the motor pool, the rule was "if it won't start, use a bigger hammer"... When applied on the flightline with airplanes, that same "rule" can get you into "deep doo doo"..... Not that trucks are more durable or airplanes more sensitive to a hammer blows, but the image, as you said, of Alley Oop and his club is what I saw as well.....

I regularly use a plastic screwdriver handle to "augment vibrations" on relays or on plugs to make sure they're seated and making contact"... but the OP's description, "I got mad after trying it several times took the grill off got a stick and whacked the heck out of the top of the Furnace for about 20 seconds" seemed "more intense than tapping with a screwdriver handle".... Good to know it was a paint stick and not a 2x4 used as a battering ram....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-16-2022, 09:04 AM   #9
jsb5717

But I understand getting frustrated with something not working correctly. I can easily imagine the OP using wise restraint, in his frustration, and applying gentle tapping while in his mind he was wielding a 2x4 with all of his might.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:32 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
But I understand getting frustrated with something not working correctly. I can easily imagine the OP using wise restraint, in his frustration, and applying gentle tapping while in his mind he was yielding a 2x4 with all of his might.
Begs the observation, "IF LOOKS COULD KILL"...... BTDT

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-16-2022, 09:50 AM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Perhaps he will save that stick and it will be available again if the furnace konks out?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 10:56 AM   #12
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Perhaps he will save that stick and it will be available again if the furnace konks out?
Ha...he could re-brand that paint stick as the Furnace Fixer and market it through RV channels for 10x the price.

Chuckster might then have one on his work bench...
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 11:18 AM   #13
Javi

I drove a 56 Chevy pickup at least 50,000 miles with a starter that would quit every now and then and always at the most inopportune times.. I kept a ballpeen hammer under the front seat and a couple of taps would get it going again..

I always threatened to replace it NEXT TIME... just never did.. told the guy I sold the truck to that I'd throw in the hammer for a six-pack... I sure miss that hammer..
Old 05-23-2022, 06:00 AM   #14
JohnP

Lightbulb Furnace Update

Well, Chuckster was right, after the tapping the furnace worked but I tried it a few days later and no go........ So I hauled it out to look things over. The circuit board was dry and no signs of shorting etc. Then I took the sail switch out and put a tester to it and it showed continuity so that wasn't the problem, but when you look at the blade it looked alittle on the heavy side and I didn't think it was wide enough to catch enough wind from the fan. So I cut a section of alluminum tape , the kind of tape used for duct work, and folded it length wise over the blade. so now its half as wide more. The tape is very light. Put it all back in and switched the thermostat an it worked fine. tried it later that day and it worked. I then tried it a few days later and it works great. So I think the problem is solved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SailSwitch.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	39866  
Old 05-23-2022, 06:18 AM   #15
skids

Bubble gum, paper clips, adhesive tape. Way to go McGiver! You cant argue with success.

Tags
furnace