Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2022, 03:41 PM   #1
KBMKVIII

‘22 3761FL ac not working

It’s 100 deg in Texas today…
All three ac units have been working well all day.
The middle and rear shut off while still being commanded to run on high ac.
Unsure if both turned off at the same time.
All fuses good, ohmed perfect, no breakers tripped.
Shut them off for a 15 min or so to hopefully let them reset.
Nothing.
Fan will not work either on high or low.
This unit is brand new and I’m ready to set it on fire with all the issues I have had.
So far it has been a amazing, beautiful piece of ****.
Very upset with my purchase.
Could they freeze over running hard bc they put too much refrigerant from the factory?
All help appreciated.
Thank you
KBMKVIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 03:42 PM   #2
KBMKVIII

‘22 3761FL ac not working

Also have no way of checking amps from the pole but is a 50A hookup
Old 04-05-2022, 04:56 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Did both units quite at the same time? If so then I'd suspect you lost one leg on the 50 amp line. Breakers can look fine even if they are tripped. First turn the breakers off then back on both on the pedestal outside and the panel inside. Don’t be afraid to use some force, you won't hurt them.

I'd strongly urge purchasing an EMS for your camper. An EMS will prevent wiring and voltage issues from damaging the air conditioners.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 05:02 PM   #4
KBMKVIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Did both units quite at the same time? If so then I'd suspect you lost one leg on the 50 amp line. Breakers can look fine even if they are tripped. First turn the breakers off then back on both on the pedestal outside and the panel inside. Don’t be afraid to use some force, you won't hurt them.

I'd strongly urge purchasing an EMS for your camper. An EMS will prevent wiring and voltage issues from damaging the air conditioners.

Is the EMS some sort of surge protector?
And I’m guessing if there was a surge warranty would not be responsible for taking care of the units?
Old 04-05-2022, 05:17 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

An EMS is an Energy Managment System, it's a LOT more than a surge protector. An EMS will shut down the power to the trailer if the pedestal outlet is wired incorrectly, if one of the lines droppes out, or if the nuetral or ground doesn't connect. It will also interrupt the power if the voltage is too low or too high. They also have a delay built in to prevent the power from surging on and off (think lights flickering in a storm) to prevent damage to the compressor. And of course they also have surge protection.

They are more expensive than a simple surge protector but they are worth every penny IMO. And to answer your question no the factory warranty will not cover damages from electrical issues that the EMS would prevent.
Old 04-05-2022, 05:19 PM   #6
KBMKVIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
An EMS is an Energy Managment System, it's a LOT more than a surge protector. An EMS will shut down the power to the trailer if the pedestal outlet is wired incorrectly, if one of the lines droppes out, or if the nuetral or ground doesn't connect. It will also interrupt the power if the voltage is too low or too high. They also have a delay built in to prevent the power from surging on and off (think lights flickering in a storm) to prevent damage to the compressor. And of course they also have surge protection.

They are more expensive than a simple surge protector but they are worth every penny IMO. And to answer your question no the factory warranty will not cover damages from electrical issues that the EMS would prevent.

Thank you very much for this information we are looking into surge protectors now.
We actually found that we lost a leg of 120 at the pole.
Shut everything down in the RV, flipped all the breakers to the off position, went to the pole turned the breaker off and reset it.
Went back inside turned everything back on and lo and behold, everything came right back on.
Thank you very much for your help.
This has been one of the most useful forums I have ever been a part of.
Cheers!
Old 04-05-2022, 05:27 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMKVIII View Post
Thank you very much for this information we are looking into surge protectors now.
We actually found that we lost a leg of 120 at the pole.
Shut everything down in the RV, flipped all the breakers to the off position, went to the pole turned the breaker off and reset it.
Went back inside turned everything back on and lo and behold, everything came right back on.
Thank you very much for your help.
This has been one of the most useful forums I have ever been a part of.
Cheers!
Glad to hear you got back up and running. IMO the "surge protectors" are a waste of money, invest in an EMS.
Old 04-05-2022, 06:38 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Just visited with a guy I've known for many years here in this park before he was heading back to TN. Has a 5th wheel here and one back there. We were talking about power anomalies we had been experiencing, issues he'd had and he always had a "surge protector". In fact, he had just recommended a "surge protector" to a new person coming in. I talked to him about "surge protector" vs EMS....had no clue...zero. He was amazed at what the EMS could do vs the surge protector vs the problems/damage he had experienced. This guy has been in an RV for many years but no clue..?? He had no idea there was a difference and when I explained it he said he was going to go get 2, to which I said "excellent".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 10:38 PM   #9
solv3nt

Any recommendations on an EMS?

2022 175BH

solv3nt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 04:02 AM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by solv3nt View Post
Any recommendations on an EMS?
I have and can recommend progressive industries. Mine is 30A hard wired. I chose hardwired so I don’t have to think about it and with remote display I can read any trouble codes from the comfort of my interior.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 05:30 AM   #11
ChuckS

The top EMS units .. IMO...

Progressive Industries
https://www.progressiveindustries.net

Southwire:
https://rvpower.southwire.com/produc...ge-protection/

Hughes:
https://hughesautoformers.com/power-...ge-protectors/

The hard wired units are nice because all you need to do is plug your shore power cable in... The main issue with this concept is twofold...

1. If the unit fails then you have to crawl into where ever its hard wired and remove and replace it... meanwhile units you get a new unit you most likely have NO shore power unless it is able to be bypassed ( which most can )

2. I prefer the portable version because I can pull into a spot, hop out and grab my EMS and plug into the RV park pedestal and verify if the pedestal is good or not before I drag out that shore power cable...

*** The nice concept about hard wired is someone can't easily steal it from you versus the portable that can be stolen, even with a cable lock.. that's a joke at best IMO

.. and yes.. I have found a few RV park outlets that had issues

Again... either hard wired or portable will do well.. EMS versions only

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 08:57 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

I use a portable Southwire Surge Guard 50A EMS and have for years. I highly recommend them as well. Mine is portable and I like it that way for many reasons. The newest Surge Guard 50A EMS (model 34951?) provides a wireless monitor you can place inside which IMO was the only benefit a hardwired model provided. They make it in a 30A model as well. Surge Guard and Progressive both have lifetime warranties; I don't know about the Hughes units.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 08:03 AM   #13
KBMKVIII

Great info everyone!
I’ll be looking into these!
Old 04-09-2022, 09:16 AM   #14
jfk69

I’ve got the Hughes Watchdog 50 amp portable and have been very happy with it. I like the phone app for it so you can monitor it from inside. Well worth the investment. The EMS is far better than a surge protector, as under volt situations are far more common than over voltage.
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote