Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2022, 01:49 PM   #1
TimeTravel

Pullrite 2400 Superlite

2-1/2 years ago we made the transition to a fifth wheel, and used a B&W Patriot Slider hitch (275lbs) for two years. This year I moved to a Pullrite 2400 Superlite which is significantly easier for this old body to move in and out of the truck. I can actually pick this one up when truck bed is needed.
My question. What is considered the best location for the adapter ball - forward of or behind the kingpin? Is there a preferred option? I have no issue with cab clearance if I mount the ball forward of or behind the kingpin.
Would certainly appreciate thoughts. Is there any pin weight distribution advantage to one location over the other.
Thank you,
TimeTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 02:37 PM   #2
jsb5717

I used the Andersen hitch for a few years, which has the same basic configuration. If your truck is a short bed then you would benefit from having the ball forward of the pin. That will give you more clearance truck cab to trailer in the tighter turns. If you have a long bed then it really doesn't matter. The issue at that point is how much room you prefer between the truck tailgate and the trailer.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 04:40 PM   #3
TimeTravel

Jeff, many thanks for the quick reply. You confirmed what I was thinking, it really does not make a difference except for cab clearance in short bed truck.
TimeTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 07:01 PM   #4
firestation12

Before you make a final decision of the ball location, you should be concerned not only about the cab clearance, but also the pin box clearing your truck's side rails. Putting the ball forward of the pin will move the slope of the pin box's underside closer to the bed rails.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 05:41 AM   #5
bsmith0404

I use the 2600, same setup except ball connection instead of rails. I don’t think there’s any advantage of one way over the other, other than clearance which you’re not concerned about. I have the ball forward on mine, box side clearance isn’t an issue for me, but I added a toneau cover that the rails mount inside the bed rails. It gets close to those, but still have about an inch clearance. Different pin box angles or bed to 5th wheel clearance heights would make a difference there. I’m sure there are some differences in pressure that is applied if the ball is forward or back, I just assumed Pullrite took all of that into consideration when they designed it since it can be mounted either way and they don’t specify that it must be done one way or the other.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 06:15 AM   #6
firestation12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I use the 2600, same setup except ball connection instead of rails. I don’t think there’s any advantage of one way over the other, other than clearance which you’re not concerned about. I have the ball forward on mine, box side clearance isn’t an issue for me, but I added a toneau cover that the rails mount inside the bed rails. It gets close to those, but still have about an inch clearance. Different pin box angles or bed to 5th wheel clearance heights would make a difference there. I’m sure there are some differences in pressure that is applied if the ball is forward or back, I just assumed Pullrite took all of that into consideration when they designed it since it can be mounted either way and they don’t specify that it must be done one way or the other.

What I've found is, if it's anywhere near a close call for clearance, to remind myself that backing at sharp angles on uneven ground can remove the safety margin I once assumed was there. Applies to other hitches not just this one. Your example is the correct one......hitch up, try it out in a parking lot, know your limits.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 12:47 PM   #7
KimNTerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestation12 View Post
Before you make a final decision of the ball location, you should be concerned not only about the cab clearance, but also the pin box clearing your truck's side rails. Putting the ball forward of the pin will move the slope of the pin box's underside closer to the bed rails.
This, especially if you have a tonneau cover with guides that clamp the the truck's side rails. I damaged one of mine in a tight turn.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote