Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2022, 03:32 AM   #1
lindy46

PEX lines leaking

My less than 2 year old trailer has developed several leaks in the pex line junctions / tees and of course they are under the shower pan. There is small access port but not near enough to get in there and do any work. Do I have to remove the shower pan? Any suggestions or ideas?
lindy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 05:30 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

No idea what model or even what brand trailer you own. If it's a fifth wheel, there's access in the front passthrough (assuming the bathroom is on the top level) if it's a travel trailer and you don't have access "above the floor", then you may need to pull a portion of the coroplast from below the trailer to get access to the plumbing.

What makes you think the PEX lines and fittings are leaking? Typically, it's not a "multiple leaks problem" unless there's freeze damage or a mechanical failure of another component that physically damaged that much plumbing.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 05:39 AM   #3
lindy46

Grand Design transcend travel trailer. No access from the bottom as the leaking pex tees are between the floor and the shower pan. We just unwinterised the camper. Had the pink stuff in all the lines. I'll see if I can get a picture.
Old 03-28-2022, 05:49 AM   #4
lindy46

Here's some pics. Hot line is leaking where the red line coming toward the camera connects. It goes to the bathroom sink. Cold line is the one going to the right to the kitchen sink.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220328_094202.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	38968   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220328_094233.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	38969  
Old 03-28-2022, 05:52 AM   #5
lindy46

I tried putting a zip tie on the cold water line but it didn't work.
Old 03-28-2022, 06:14 AM   #6
jsb5717

A couple quick ideas

1. Rather than a zip tie you might try a small hose clamp. However, the fitting might not be deep enough into the pipe to get a grip on it.
2. I'd be temped to cut off the existing connections (assuming there is a little slack in the pipe to allow a new connection) and replace them with Sharkbite snap on connectors. I've used them in my house and trailer without any leaks to date.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 06:27 AM   #7
Balvar24

Zip ties and hose clamps won't do a thing on Pex tubing.

Either the joints are poorly crimped, poorly fitted, or the tees are damaged. Stainless steel crimp rings are great if properly installed.

Recrimp or make new joints with quality brass fittings.

If there isn't room, you can use Shark Bite style fittings. Some people don't have a lot of faith in these. I am undecided.
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 06:33 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

In addition to Jeff's suggestions, you could "cut the PEX near the drain, if that's accessible, then cut the PEX (on the right side of the picture) under the vanity, pull the entire section out from under the shower through the access panel, rebuild it "in the shop" and then reinstall it with sharkbite fittings that can be accessed through the hole and reconnected under the vanity where you can easily get access.....

Sort of a "pull it all out and rebuild it on the bench then put it all back together with connections in places you can reach" ...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-28-2022, 06:53 AM   #9
wegone

Yep, you got the right answers...sharkbite and rework it.
I've done repair work in walls that I couldn't even look at while making the repair, it was all feel. Take your time, this one is pretty easy.
BTW you have slip joints on your drain, those will eventually leak, just put that on your list of things to do yearly, pull the access panel and look while running water under pressure, or by dumping in some with a bucket.
These can drip ever so slowly and not realized until the damage is much greater...
I have seen many ceilings fall down from a upstairs shower or tub drain...
But of course...not on a two story travel trailer
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 07:34 AM   #10
lindy46

I can get one hand/arm through that access hole, not two. Hard to install sharkbites with one hand. I may be able to get in there with a crimper. Do you think re-crimping would do it?
Old 03-28-2022, 07:39 AM   #11
wegone

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy46 View Post
I can get one hand/arm through that access hole, not two. Hard to install sharkbites with one hand. I may be able to get in there with a crimper. Do you think re-crimping would do it?
It looks like you have a heating vent in there too....
Maybe remove the grill, and see if you can get another to hold the pex while you push on a sharkbite already fitted with a tee, etc,

You will need a cutter that cuts cleanly, they have them, don't take much room and you can orient to a position that allows them to open up, then squeeze to cut.
Old 03-28-2022, 07:41 AM   #12
wiredgeorge

Quote:
I have a little experience crimping pex crimp clamps and once crimped, re-crimping isn't effective. Pull the lines out as suggested, install sharbite fitting and pull lines back through would be your best bet.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 07:41 AM   #13
wegone

BTW, you can always fashion a new cover if you need to gain more access...
Old 03-28-2022, 08:29 AM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

After you repair the leak I'd put some foam between those lines to keep them from rubbibg togather.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 12:42 PM   #15
lindy46

Got it fixed. Pex lines are the flexible type so sharkbites didn't work. Lines are too fat to fit in the sharkbite. Replaced the plastic tees with brass and used stainless steel hose clamps. Took the front panel off below the shower pan to get more room to get two hands under there, and although not easy, got it done. No more leaks!
Old 03-28-2022, 01:15 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Got it fixed. Pex lines are the flexible type so sharkbites didn't work. Lines are too fat to fit in the sharkbite. Replaced the plastic tees with brass and used stainless steel hose clamps. Took the front panel off below the shower pan to get more room to get two hands under there, and although not easy, got it done. No more leaks!
Good Deal !!!!

Now, a "word to the wise".... NEVER (did I mention NEVER, EVER ????) leave the trailer with the water (city water or pump) turned on !!!!! More than once, I've seen trailers where people were out enjoying their vacation, come back for lunch or at the end of the day, to find their trailer "dripping out every door, every porthole, every place the factory cut a hole for a pipe or wire.....

Trust that you've got it fixed, but don't rely on fate to keep it all dry .....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-28-2022, 04:13 PM   #17
Gary R.

I had no problems with Sharkbite connector during my recent install of the water valve in our Alpine. The Pex tuning in ours is 1/2-inch and the local box store had the Sharkbites.

No leaks in the "convenience center" now, and my plan is to replace any fitting I can get to with Sharkbite.

Methinks it is very important to cut the Pex "square" so it will seal properly.
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 04:14 PM   #18
Gary R.

And Indy46, good job on fixing your leaks!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 08:24 PM   #19
firestation12

Oetiker pinch pliers for pex

Quote:
Here's some pics. Hot line is leaking where the red line coming toward the camera connects. It goes to the bathroom sink. Cold line is the one going to the right to the kitchen sink.

Looking at the 2 images provided, the crimping bands on the pex lines, are Oetiker clamps. The Oetiker crimp rings utilize a pinch pliers unique for crimping their bands. Because the pliers can be operated single handed, they are ideal for inserting in limited spaces to re-crimp the bands even tighter than perhaps the factory did in assembling the water lines. The Oetiker pliers would likely have solved this leak without any cutting. I've had good luck re-crimping Oetiker clamps if they are not completely sealing the joint. Also of note, is the pex lines appear swollen behind the band. This would explain why the OP couldn't make the shark bite fittings work. I suspect the pex may have been subjected to freezing temperatures.....just a guess on my part, to make it swollen. Maybe, that's why the leak began to start with. A search of "Oetiker kit" on Amazon will give you an idea of what an Oetiker clamp and pliers look like. I keep all 3 pex fastener systems in my camper...1-Oetiker kit, 2-standard pex crimps and compression tool and 3- a Wiersbo expansion tool and expansion rings. Each has a characteristic useful in different situations.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 04:57 AM   #20
skids

“ Also of note, is the pex lines appear swollen behind the band. This would explain why the OP couldn't make the shark bite fittings work. “

I have a bit of trouble seeing that in the images, but if it is near the clamp ring, could it be caused by the ribs on the fitting? You have provided good info on the crimp systems. I may investigate buying one because I was able (not on purpose) to rotate a pex hose at a water heater bypass fitting when trying to replace a heater element. I was shocked! That was a couple of years ago, it hasn’t leaked a drop, and I have been keeping an eye on it.

Tags
leak