Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2022, 09:49 AM   #21
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

It works "OK" in theory, but in reality, if/when the spring closed overflow port stops up, grease will heat up during towing, expand and either push its way out the port or out the seal. At high speeds and hot temperatures during towing, that liquified grease pushing against a "warm, pliable rubber seal" is a "weakest link that readily fails because of the increased pressure from an "overfull hub cavity".....
Are you referring to a bearing buddy set up instead of EZ Lube? Or am i just not understanding what you’re saying with the “spring closed overflow port”? EZ Lube does not use a spring loaded pressure system like bearing buddies. BBs do it mainly for trailer that are submerged in water as a way to increase internal pressure and keep water out. EZ Lube does not have anything to pressurize the system.

Anyway, I guess it doesn’t matter. IMO, many people are afraid to use the EZ Lube system because of personal experience or horror stories they’ve read. I’ve never had an issue using it and have never had a bearing failure. That last part is what’s important to me I believe most, if not all, problems others have experienced are due to user error. People can argue that point if they choose to, but until proven otherwise, that’s my opinion/belief. In reality, if the bearings are packed properly every year, there’s no reason to use the EZ Lube or any other system, but my process works for ME on MY trailers.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 10:04 AM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingjack View Post
2022 HC 295RL I realize I'm kind of going out there on a limb; but, should I trust factory wheel bearings for our first 3,500 mile trip coming up in late May? Did put 1,000 miles on it last fall bringing it home. last new RV was 2013 so I've forgotten everything- CRS disease. I repacked my old 5er every other year putting 5K miles/yr in dry climates. About the same frequency as my commercial trailers but they got 4Xs the mileage. Never lost or damaged anything. Thanks Jack

IMO pull, clean and repack them before the trip. There have been posts of new units without grease in the bearings (or very little) or grease pushed into the brakes. Pull them and know what you have and that they are right before you leave instead of trusting (hoping) that they did a great job.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 10:27 AM   #23
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
IMO pull, clean and repack them before the trip. There have been posts of new units without grease in the bearings (or very little) or grease pushed into the brakes. Pull them and know what you have and that they are right before you leave instead of trusting (hoping) that they did a great job.
Yep, as i mentioned, I’ve seen the lack of grease first hand. I’ve never seen it on a Dexter axle, but in this day and age of parts shortages and manufacturers using whatever they can get their hands on, I guess we can’t assume it’s a Dexter axle under his trailer.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 11:30 AM   #24
flyingjack

I already knew the answer would be repack before leaving but hoping someone would talk me out of it because I'm basically lazy.... Big Plus is late spring/early summer touring NW and then an even longer trip after Xmas- touring SE for 3-4 months. Couple of systems check outs before leaving on both.
Thanks
Jack
flyingjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 07:10 AM   #25
Blackhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwaldrich View Post
A year or two after we bought our trailer (new) it had a wheel bearing go our which ruined an axel. Needless to say I've ensure maintenance has been performed on these since.

On our way home from Texas (we live in Washington state) we lost a second wheel bearing. Also a back axel bearing only on the other side. The trailer is 7 years old and we use it regularly.

Anyone else having an issue like this? At this point all warranties are gone.

You must repack your wheel bearing every two years. If you don't, you will pay the price of replacing your axles
Blackhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 10:11 AM   #26
fjr vfr

Anyone can have a bearing failure...even when done properly. Like all things in life we try to reduce the odds to as close to zero as we can.
I've know people who seem to never do anything right, (not revering to anyone here), and lead a charmed life. I am not one of those people, so I try my best to do things the right way...doesn't always work out though...lol
But I want to reenforce an earlier point, when you pump grease in from the back it Must fill the cavity between the bearings before grease can exit out the front bearing. There is no way for it to come out front without filling that cavity/area in-between. That extra grease creates friction and heat. That may not be an issue if the trips aren't so long or the load is light?
With my luck I would for sure be replacing an axle.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 05:09 PM   #27
Hoopy Frood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk View Post
You must repack your wheel bearing every two years. If you don't, you will pay the price of replacing your axles
Now that's just nonsense. Do you repack the wheel bearings in your other vehicles every year? I check mine every few years, and have never had an issue, over the last 15 years and 3 5th wheels, and 2 pop-ups in the 5 years before that.

In fact, I've read a significant number of posts that start with "I just had my brakes/wheel bearings serviced and..." or "I just did my own wheel bearing service and...", and the tale of woe follows. Sometimes the old "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" can apply.

I have nothing against the EZ-Lube system, but do feel that it is pretty much unneeded. A well packed wheel bearing will go a very long time before it needs to be tended to. Most people that don't like the EZ-Lube system have no first hand knowledge of it, and parrot what they've read on forums, which comes from people who have no first hand knowledge of it, and parrot what they've read on forums, and ad infinitum.

But I also agree that if you get a new, or new-to-you, trailer the first thing you should do is check, and attend to the wheel bearings. When I checked mine, I was disappointed in the number of nicks and gouges that were in an area that would definitely affect, in a negative manner, seal integrity. The amount of grease used was minimal. No wonder they want you to check it every year, they need to cover their butts from the abysmal job done at the assembly of the axles.

People should do as they think they should, but I have more fun things to do than repack wheel bearings every year. But that's just me.

"Don't Panic"
Hoopy Frood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 07:20 PM   #28
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
Now that's just nonsense. Do you repack the wheel bearings in your other vehicles every year? I check mine every few years, and have never had an issue, over the last 15 years and 3 5th wheels, and 2 pop-ups in the 5 years before that.

In fact, I've read a significant number of posts that start with "I just had my brakes/wheel bearings serviced and..." or "I just did my own wheel bearing service and...", and the tale of woe follows. Sometimes the old "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" can apply.

I have nothing against the EZ-Lube system, but do feel that it is pretty much unneeded. A well packed wheel bearing will go a very long time before it needs to be tended to. Most people that don't like the EZ-Lube system have no first hand knowledge of it, and parrot what they've read on forums, which comes from people who have no first hand knowledge of it, and parrot what they've read on forums, and ad infinitum.

But I also agree that if you get a new, or new-to-you, trailer the first thing you should do is check, and attend to the wheel bearings. When I checked mine, I was disappointed in the number of nicks and gouges that were in an area that would definitely affect, in a negative manner, seal integrity. The amount of grease used was minimal. No wonder they want you to check it every year, they need to cover their butts from the abysmal job done at the assembly of the axles.

People should do as they think they should, but I have more fun things to do than repack wheel bearings every year. But that's just me.
I have a Mr Know it All brother in law that's been rving 15 minutes but KNOWS EVERYTHING there is to know about it, its as if he may have written the above quote. Of course 99.999% is wrong, such as no need to pack trailer wheel bearings once a year or at 12k miles, or in his case ever. Not packing is a great recipe for failed bearings.
NO you don't pack the bearings on your vehicles for about the last 10+ years, they are sealed bearings that if service is needed you replace the entire hub.
I have 1st hand knowledge of the POS EzLube hubs as I & 2-3 of my friends have had the hubs filled with grease ruining all 4 brakes & positively will NEVER EVER use it again plus will recommend to every rver I talk to absolutely NOT ever use it.......
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 05:07 PM   #29
BookPaul74

On my used Cougar 337fls I pulled a wheel and the grease had been pushed through the seal and on the brake shoes. When home pulled it apart and hand packed the bearings. I’ve only used the E-Z Lube on my pontoon trailer. OK it might be a Bearing Buddy?

I did discover why I was going through rear tires. Don’t pull your trailer up to the trailhead for Saddle Mountain in Tonopah, Arizona. ☹️ It had a bit of a bend to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	74CE91F2-2625-4931-9DF9-604B7A5B302F.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	38954  
BookPaul74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 05:57 PM   #30
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I have a Mr Know it All brother in law that's been rving 15 minutes but KNOWS EVERYTHING there is to know about it, its as if he may have written the above quote. Of course 99.999% is wrong, such as no need to pack trailer wheel bearings once a year or at 12k miles, or in his case ever. Not packing is a great recipe for failed bearings.
NO you don't pack the bearings on your vehicles for about the last 10+ years, they are sealed bearings that if service is needed you replace the entire hub.
I have 1st hand knowledge of the POS EzLube hubs as I & 2-3 of my friends have had the hubs filled with grease ruining all 4 brakes & positively will NEVER EVER use it again plus will recommend to every rver I talk to absolutely NOT ever use it.......
Last fall we meet up with my neice and her family at a campground. I heard they had a wheel bearing fail on the previous trip. My neice asked for my opinion as her husband told her that it was " just a part of trailering like last year when he had a failure on his boat trailer."

She said she knew that I've towed trailers of some sort for the 50 years she's known me. So she said "Uncle Marshall, how many wheel bearing failures have you experienced over all those years?" Uh, non, have you ever repacked the bearings? Of course not.

This year was the first year that I paid a shop to do it. They did it and checked the brakes, mounted my new tires and all while I watched. It's an absolute necessity for any open race bearing set.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 07:58 PM   #31
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookPaul74 View Post
On my used Cougar 337fls I pulled a wheel and the grease had been pushed through the seal and on the brake shoes. When home pulled it apart and hand packed the bearings. I’ve only used the E-Z Lube on my pontoon trailer. OK it might be a Bearing Buddy?

I did discover why I was going through rear tires. Don’t pull your trailer up to the trailhead for Saddle Mountain in Tonopah, Arizona. ☹️ It had a bit of a bend to it.
All rv axles WILL have a bit of an arc as part of the alignment.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote