Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2022, 01:03 AM   #1
Danger Bill

Poor Flow Master Bed/Bath Heat Vent

Howdy Y'all.

Some of you may experience poor heat flow from vents in the master bedroom of your 5th wheels as I did. I have some basic understanding of how HVAC really works and learned today that many of the people on this site do not.. Please read if you've had this problem.

Underneath the Master Bedroom Vents is the pass through storage area. Part of the ductwork in there may have a little vent used to warm up the storage area. Unscrew it, put a little vent tape (or electrical tape like I used) over the vent slots on the inside of the vent plate, screw it back on and BAM... You've increased the flow significantly.

If it's cold outside, a majority of your hot air will seek to escape into that cold air. Considering this little vent plate in the storage area is the only (intentional) outside access for air to escape, it is safe to say this is where our hot air is failing to reach our bedrooms.

On risks of blocking vents.
Blocking vents is not always smart.. For a quick way to heat up a room, sure.. For long term use, big no no. Besides over heating your furnace, you also run the risk of damaging your floors. These vents are not perfectly sealed and oftentimes will seep hot air underneath your floor. This can cause ballooning. Hot air ballooning under vinyl flooring can cause damage.

On why the vent is there.
Some of you may desire to keep this storage area warm. I suggest feeling the ducts themselves inside of the storage area. It gets hot and should keep the area above freezing in temperatures over 0°.

Final note on HVAC in general..
You gotta have a good seal.

Danger Bill
Danger Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, vent, heat