Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2021, 08:07 AM   #1
Cgjersvik

Avalanche 390DS Solar

I’m new to this forum, but a long time camper. We have an Avalanche 390DS on order and scheduled to be built in February. We opted for the Solar Flex 400i and I’d like to know if the outlets in the bedrooms will be on the solar inverter circuit. We need them for medical devices and if they are not on the inverter circuit we’ll see if Keystone could do that during the build. Thanks in advance.
Cgjersvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 08:43 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Contact your dealer and/or Keystone Customer Service for the answer to your question. Also keep in mind that Keystone is "very reluctant" to "NO WAY" when it comes to "personal modifications on the assembly line". I'd guess that one bedroom outlet is on the inverter circuit, but which one will need to come from Keystone.

If you can't get the answers you need from Keystone's CS department, once the trailer arrives at the dealership, they can "rewire the bedroom outlets" but probably at an additional charge.

I'd guess that if you "ask the dealership" the question at this time, you'll get more "guessing the way it'll arrive" than factual info and if you contact Keystone, they will probably tell you "the way it's supposed to be built" but that doesn't always materialize into reality "out on the floor"....

So, a good understanding from your dealer "RIGHT NOW" as to what you need in the bedroom wiring will put him on notice that if it doesn't arrive that way, they will need to do some modifications. Again, "who pays for that" may not be the factory or the dealer, so be sure to address what you want and make sure it's understood by the dealer.....

Short Answer: Probably ONE outlet in the bedroom will be wired to the solar/inverter system. Keystone doesn't do "personal modifications" on the floor, even if you offer to pay extra. The dealer is your best source for making sure the trailer meets your special needs. Talk to him and reach an understanding sooner rather than later.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 09:31 AM   #3
travelin texans

It's also typical for some dealers to install 1 cheap marine cranking type battery regardless of how many the rv was designed for. That type battery is not what you want to run medical devices, I'm assuming you have multiple devices.
You'll want at minimum 2 group 27 or 31s wired parallel or a pair, maybe 4 depending on your the devices, of 6 volt golf cart batteries wired in series.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 02:04 PM   #4
Cgjersvik

Thanks, good advice. Fortunately we are dealing with a small family owned dealer who goes out of there way for their customers. I've reached out to them.

- Charlie
Old 12-28-2021, 02:06 PM   #5
Cgjersvik

Thanks, good advice on batteries.

- Charlie
Old 12-28-2021, 02:44 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgjersvik View Post
Thanks, good advice. Fortunately we are dealing with a small family owned dealer who goes out of there way for their customers. I've reached out to them.

- Charlie
A "small family owned dealership" is great when it comes to one on one relationships and service, but the truth is a small dealership doesn't get the "volume of trailer traffic" to have personal knowledge of the features in trailers that have never been sold by the dealership and that, in reality, the sales force has never seen or walked through... So, a "double edged sword" in dealing with a small dealership that has 3 or 4 trailers on the lot and deals mostly in special orders to survive. At a "gianormous dealership" ask the question about which outlets are inverter powered and the response would be, "Give me a few minutes and I'll run out to see and call you back"... But, when something breaks and you need service, that same dealership may well tell you, " We don't remember selling you a trailer and we're booked until June, but we'd be happy to repair you trailer then and we'll even put you on the cancellation list if an opening comes up before then, we'll call you."...

I bought my Holiday Rambler from a small dealership. It was the owner, one salesman (his son) one finance rep (his daughter in law), one service rep (his nephew) and one "lot runner" (his neighbor that lost his job last winter).... There was always coffee and a personal greeting when I walked through the door and I could always get "first hand information" from the service tech by walking into the shop to ask him what he did.... On the other hand, if I needed anything more "exotic than a screw or a light bulb" it had to be special ordered and would be in "next Tuesday if the warehouse has it in stock".... A "far cry" from the Camping World dealership in Shreveport, if you needed parts, they had them or could overnight them for you, but for the life of me, they never remembered me, my trailer or my problems and forget ever talking to anyone but the service writer who didn't know if I was a customer or someone looking to buy a used trailer..... Good and bad with any size dealership.

There's good and bad with both small dealerships and large dealerships....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 05:29 AM   #7
RVGator

Our ‘22 Avalanche 378BH has inverted outlets all over the camper on the inside and outside, including the bedroom. We only have the SolarFlex 200i so I think you will be in good shape.
20k Reese Goosebox
RVGator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar