Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
Cpatinjones

Shifted Axle

Hello,

I recently brought my 2010 Cougar 5th wheel (approx. 5000 miles towed) to the an RV Service garage to have a few after market items I wanted them to install for me. As we are walking around my RV and discussing what I want done, the service guy notices my tire on the right side of my rv is showing some wear. He informs me he will take a look underneath and give me call to let me know what or if there is a problem with the axle.

Well, I get a call the next day to inform me he thinks the axle has shifted (not sure what that means at this point). I inform him my one year warranty has expired, but I do has an extended warranty that may cover this part of my bill. I faxed his my extended warrranty info. He tells me he will contact Keystone and the company who produce this axle to see what the next step to take. I get a call later that afternoon. The axle company told him to take it down to inspect the axle and its parts. I am now waiting to hear from him to see what is the exact problem and if the axle company and my extended warranty will take care of this problem.

Has anyone of you experienced a problem like this or similar? What could have caused the axle to shift? All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited to add: Should I bring my RV in for an annual check for the axle, springs, etc? If so, should I bring it to the RV Repair Garage or and an Axle/springs, etc repair garage? Thanks for your suggestions.
Member of Escapees, Good Sam and RVing Women
Carolyn
Cpatinjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

There are a number of causes of uneven tire wear and depending upon the type or pattern of wear on the tire it could be due to improper inflation, alignment issues, axle problems (bent, shifting, etc.) - suspension problems, etc.
I noticed that the service guy said that he "thinks that the axle has shifted". He didn't say with certainty that was the problem but that it will be taken off and inspected.
I would also check over your extended warranty and take a close look at all of the exclusions. Like most warranties, there will probably be an extensive list of them but look for what it says, or doesn't say, about axles, suspension and tires.
Hope things work out for you and the problem is a minor one.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
SteveC7010

Here's a simplified drawing of a typical tandem spring and axle assembly:

You can see how the U-bolts hold the axle to the spring pack. It is possible for the axle to slide forward or backward on the spring pack if the U-bolts are not properly tightened or become damaged. That is also how the axles are aligned to each other and to the frame of the trailer.

It's not very common for these things to shift after the trailer leaves the factory, but not impossible.

There are other potential causes of the problem you describe, as Festus2 has mentioned, so working with your repair shop closely is a must. If you have a reasonable understanding of the system, it is easier to discuss with the shop and you are better able to understand their explanations.

Side note, if your system is one of the torque spring systems instead of conventional leaf springs, the axles are still attached to the torque arms with U-bolts, at least in the Dexter Torque-Flex system. I have always had Dexter's so I only have their reference materials at my fingertips. But other manufacturers's systems are well documented and their catalogs and maintenance manuals are available for download on their websites.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
Cpatinjones

Thanks for the diagram, it really helps me understand. I didn't have a clue of what it even looked like or its function.

I am just hoping it will not be a major repair and cost.
Carolyn
Old 01-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
Cpatinjones

Hello Fetus,

Thanks for your explantion. I know I keep the tires properly inflated. I was not aware axles need to be aligned. :-) Learning every day.

I too hope it will be a minor fix and cost.
Carolyn
Old 01-27-2012, 05:14 AM   #6
rjsurfer

I pulled into a gas station with my 2008 Cougar one day and noticed the trailer was angled awful close to the pumps on inspection I found one of the axles was at an 75 degree instead of 90.

The U-bolts had loosened allowing the axles to shift, it turned out the axle had to be replaced because it was damaged.

I now check the U-bolts before every trip and have found them loose on several occasions. I'm thinking of replacing them with some better quality ones because it's obvious they are stretching over time.

VERY COMMON problem.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
mhs4771

Yep, there have been numerous posts on different forums of the "U" bolts not being torqued and allowing the axle to shift. I believe Dexter is now offering "U" bolts that have been machined flat on the surface that wraps over the axle vs the old round style.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #8
SteveC7010

What puzzles me is that there is no alignment pin that passes through each spring and the plate on the axle. I know there's one in the spring pack of my duallies and most other cars and trucks that use leaf springs.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #9
mhs4771

There should be, it's what holds the leafs in place, but some members of the MOC actually had their break off, allowing the axle to shift.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:23 AM   #10
rjsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
What puzzles me is that there is no alignment pin that passes through each spring and the plate on the axle. I know there's one in the spring pack of my duallies and most other cars and trucks that use leaf springs.
You're right about the alignment pin, that's why I needed a new axle, the pin easily sheared off. I'm guessing just like the U-bolts, leaf springs etc. their quality is suspect.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #11
LittleJoe

After having spent many , many years offroading, I have seen things break that you wouldn't think possible from some throttle happy individuals or just plain circumstances.

If the ubolts are loose in the least and the axle takes any kind of force even such as turning sharply the through bolt(that holds the spring pack together) will shear the locating pin/head off (this fits in a locating hole on the axle spring perch). When this happens there is nothing to locate/hold the axle at the centre of the spring and the spring perch easily slides on the leaf spring bottom.

It is as important to check torque on these ubolts as it is the tire studs, at least when new. If they wont hold torque then as stated earlier, the ubolts are not heavy enough for the job, or more likely the whole axle assembly is marginal for the load it is carrying.

My 325SRX was upgraded to 16" wheels and tires giving a bit of cushion to max load but the axles are still only 5000lb when for very few extra $ they could have b een 6000lb

Thanks for the reminder to retorque my ubolts before I head south in a couple of weeks.
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #12
Camp I am

I know they can all differ however what's common for torq spec for the U-Bolts ?

2012 Keystone Cougar 327RES

2006 Chevy Silverado 3500, LT3 CC/LB 4WD SRW LBZ Duramax/Allison Equiped with Curt Q5 20K hitch, Prodigy Brake control, Air Lift Load Lifter 5000, & 100 gallon in-bed fuel tank
Camp I am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #13
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp I am View Post
I know they can all differ however what's common for torq spec for the U-Bolts ?
Dexter specs 50 to 60 ft. lb. on the U-bolts for their 2 3/8" and 3" axle tubes.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:58 AM   #14
Cpatinjones

Update on my axle problem

I thought y'all might want to know the outcome.

I just got a call from the rv guy. The alignment pin on the right rear axle was missing. Can you believe this? Since my 1 yr warranty is expired, they are going to send me two new axles with springs and calling it customer consession. I am happy they are at least doing this. I will be responsible for the labor.

The rv guy called my rv extended warranty company to see if they could or would help in this matter. They will be paying the labor cost!

I am so happy about this outcome.
Carolyn
Old 02-02-2012, 09:15 AM   #15
Festus2
Site Team

Can't ask for a better outcome than that! Replacement axles and springs installed at no cost to you! Hats off to your "rv guy".
Old 02-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #16
2011 keystone

What I think is nice is that The op came back and told us what the outcome of his problem was. So many times new members come here with a problem or complaint and we never get to no what happed in the end. so hats off to the op. And I am glad that there are still some good if not great service people in this industrie. Congrats on the great outcome and have yourself a great camping season. It will be here SOON.
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #17
outbackmac

pin

where is this pin located?
outbackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #18
f6bits

Dead center where the leaf spring sits on the axle. Leaves have a pin that go through them and extends into a hole on the axle plate. If it’s sheared, you’re not going to see a sheared pin, as it’s in the middle of the intersection, but you may be able to eyeball if the springs and axle aren’t perpendicular to each other.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #19
outbackmac

???

will you be able to see these pins with tires mounted?
outbackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #20
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackmac View Post
will you be able to see these pins with tires mounted?
The pin is hidden from view as it is in the center of the spring pack and extends down into the axle plate.

The only way to see the pin is to loosen up the u-bolts holding the axle to the springs and drop the axle away.

http://www.etrailer.com/tv-Install-L...g-Trailer.aspx

This video from etrailer.com shows the replacement of leaf springs on a typical trailer. There are no brakes as it is a small utility trailer, but the rest is much the same as our TT's. At about 5 minutes into the video, they show connecting the axle to the springs with u-bolts and installing the center pin. (This is a small axle and the pin is actually a bolt that goes through the axle and spring pack. On larger axles like our TT's, the pin may not go through the axle. However, the function is exactly the same, to keep the axle in place on the spring pack.)