Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2021, 10:16 AM   #1
Devin_Noel

ball stud for gas strut stripped out of bottom of door

I just replaced the leaky gas strut on our main door. I found the ball stud the strut mounts to rattling around loose in the bottom of the door. I wasn't really able to get the new strut attached & when poking at it taking the pictures, pushed it up into the door frame.

Does the door frame come apart? I tried pulling the screw on either side of the bottom bit of frame & gently prying but it didn't seem to want to come apart. It looks like there is a pin or rivet or something there I'd have to drill out or otherwise fight with to pull things apart.

There is a 2nd riv nut or whatever that 5/16-18 bolt fixture is next to the one that tore out. Do they put 2 in there so for different length gas struts or different adjustments?

Any reason to not just abandon the riv nut & ball stud that pulled out put a new 5/16-18 ball stud in the remaining good hole & call it a day? It looks like it will still hold the door about 90 degrees & not hit the awning arm behind the door.

2017 Carbon 35, but I'm assuming most of these doors are going to be some generic Lipert part or something.

Devin_Noel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas