Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2021, 12:55 PM   #1
Canonman

Proper Sealant

I'm needing to replace the top seal above the main slide in our Cougar. I've figured out the right replacement and ordered it from Steele. My question is, what is the correct sealant to use once the seal is replaced? What I'm seeing now is somewhat clear and I'll need to razor blade it away from the existing seal in order to remove it.
Thanks for the help
https://www.steelerubber.com/bulb-se...el-70-3833-265
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 01:23 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

What your seeing could be SikaFlex, or maybe ProSeal. Is it kind of gooey when you try to peel it? I would use ProSeal given a choice.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 04:43 PM   #3
Canonman

ProSeal It is!
Thank you
Old 10-28-2021, 08:09 AM   #4
bill-e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
I'm needing to replace the top seal above the main slide in our Cougar. I've figured out the right replacement and ordered it from Steele. My question is, what is the correct sealant to use once the seal is replaced? What I'm seeing now is somewhat clear and I'll need to razor blade it away from the existing seal in order to remove it.
Thanks for the help
https://www.steelerubber.com/bulb-se...el-70-3833-265
I'm in the same boad. It looks to be a PITA as the top is sealed. Have you done it yet? Any tips?
Thanks
Bill

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:36 AM   #5
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill-e View Post
I'm in the same boad. It looks to be a PITA as the top is sealed. Have you done it yet? Any tips?
Thanks
Bill
Hi Bill,
Just finished the job yesterday. First, take a small sample of the replacement bulb seal and make sure it's the right size. Mine was, so no problem there.
Use a box cutter or other type razor cutter to cut away the old sealant from the top of the bulb seal. Remove the keeper screws at either end of the old seal then pull the old seal off. that's the easy part. Now cut away any sealant from the exposed channel so you have easy access for the new bulb seal to slide on. I didn't do this step at first but found the old sealant got in the way and hindered the new seal from sliding on to the track.
Get a helper. I needed a second pair of hands. One person to slide/push the new seal on and the other person to pull the seal along the channel. My slide is 13'. I was only able to do about 6' or so alone. Also, use some lubricant. I sprayed some 303 into the channel track and that made a huge difference in sliding the new seal along the entire 13'. Go slow and be patient. It also helps if it's warm outside. The job is easier if the new bulb seal is warm and more flexible. Once it's all in place, reinstall the keeper screws. Use the RTV sealant Chuck recommended across the top of the entire seal making sure to seal the screw heads at either end. Be sure to clean the area to be sealed with alcohol to ensure the sealant adheres to both the seal and the side of the slide out.
Once I got help the job was pretty easy. Total time with a helper should be less than 2 hours.
Old 10-28-2021, 09:11 AM   #6
bill-e

Thanks.

It's already cold here so I may need to wait until the spring or an Indian summer. I'll measure mine before I order but the dimensions in your link look right.

My slide is 12' I think but I need to measure it

Do you have a link for the sealer?
Thanks a lot,
Bill

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote