Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2021, 05:45 AM   #1
bigdave_185

2008 keystone raptor m-3712-ts

I hate being that guy but not seeing what I’m looking for

Few trailer questions

I’d like to upgrade my landing gear from one drive motor to two. Does anyone have tips or tricks or links to how they went about this and what parts they ordered, I have found the way to access the driver side and that’s easy enough but not sure which motor to order and so forth. I’d also like to grease the threaded rod id possible while there but I can’t see a grease zerk fitting.

1. Motor options

2. Greasing options. ( do I just lift the trailer to the sky with my excavator and run the legs all the way out?

Second question

Water heater: Previous I have converted a cargo trailer to camp trailer and instant water is awesome!!!! ) Can I and how do I go about converting mine to a instant water that runs off my propane system? Doable ?

Third question

What have some of you found for replacing the loft bed mattress foam? I know I can order stupid expensive custom foam but I’d rather not.

Suggestions?

Fourth

The graphics are way faded or falling off and need to come off the rest of the way.

Before I pull out the Rupes and start cuttting and buffing with Adam’s polish. Would an eraser wheel wreck this fiberglass?
bigdave_185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:52 PM   #2
bigdave_185

Well I have done a few things

Carpet cleaned up amazing!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2041.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	36552

Next was to get some new led lights for the outside lights

I tried these to replace the 1156

1156 Ba15s 1141 P21w 12v LED Bulbs, Single Contact Bayonet Base, 5W Cool White 6000K 500LM, Waterproof Light, For RV, Trailer, Boat, lawn tractors, mower. (Pack of 2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087JXLXYD...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Time will tell if I pull the lights off completely and instal led flood light.

I next replaced someone of the other lights with these and yes I know they are cheap, but they will work for now
In the under trailer storage areas

Aucan 20pcs Super Bright RV... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076V9XXW6...p_mob_ap_share

Again time will tell with these cheap leds

Iv also started cleaning the outside of the trailer graphics off.

Name:	IMG_2030.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	36553

It has now started a weeks worth of rain in the forecast so I’ll pause this for a little bit.

Landing gear issue is partially addressed
No grease fitting to maintain them.
I have my local RV parts guy looking at motor options for adding a second motor to the other landing gear.

I have looked into the heat vents and will be cleaning them with an Amazon dryer vent kit when that shows up, plan is a shop vac on one end and the drill and brush on the other. I’ll add a electric leaf blower if more air movement is required to remove the previous owners dog hair mess.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:54 PM   #3
bigdave_185

I have ordered a futon couch pad for the loft and looking forward to getting that delivered.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:23 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd recommend a different type LED for your RV lighting. The ones you bought are 12 volt LED's. They are ideal for low voltage landscape lighting that is a constant 12 volts. They are not as well suited for the changing voltage (up to 13.8 VDC) in an RV environment.

Most "current/new technology" LED's have a voltage regulator on the actual chip that's mounted on the LED assembly and input voltage can vary from 12-24 VDC. This type LED (variable input voltage) is much better suited for RV use. They don't really cost that much more, but offer much better performance in most applications and usually have a much longer life than the "landscape LED's".

Here's just one of many https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CM3RNJ4...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1 I'm posting this link, not as a recommendation, but as an example that shows the "variable voltage input adaptability".

As for cleaning the underfloor vents: Be very careful using a "flexible dryer vent brush" in those duct runs. They "meander through, around and over/under" structures in the belly of your trailer. Few, if any of those "brush on a fiberglass rod" devices are actually flexible enough to make the turns in the belly ducts without tearing them, puncturing holes in them or even ripping them up and wrapping them around the fiberglass shaft..... To say that the ducting runs is "cheap crap" would be upgrading the quality description. Often, just a gentle tug will split the mylar covering and trying to pull it to straighten it will usually separate the other end from its connection.... Be careful or you'll wind up reinstalling ductwork through the entire belly.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:53 PM   #5
bigdave_185

I stuck a camera in the ducts and I figure I should be fine,

Name:	IMG_2049.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	36575

Name:	IMG_2047.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	36576

They are straight sections down the middle of the trailer.
The brush head is fairly soft.
I think the duct work will fair ok

On the off chance it doesn’t fair ok I’m planning on ripping the underbelly of this trailer out and giving a once over, I am concerned with the hydraulic fluid that has accumulated on the underbelly and visible on the plastic sheeting that is the length.

I’ll see how these LED lights do as I can return them and the hassle of the value.

Name:	IMG_2052.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	36577
Old 10-20-2021, 09:21 PM   #6
bigdave_185

Well my duct work didn’t come apart, it worked pretty slick. I put my shop vac on one end of the system, i took the 20v dewalt leaf blower and stuck it In the other duct (3 total) and stuck the drill on a low speed and work it around.

Name:	IMG_2481.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	36610

Name:	IMG_2480.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	36611

Name:	IMG_2063.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	326.6 KB
ID:	36612

All things considered my filter is wrecked and smells terrible! I hope it helps the long term.

Does anyone know why RV’s don’t have a filter on the air system similar to a house hvac system? I’d think the space would allow, or does the Gent who sold it to me just no know there is one? And I’m missing it’s location?

I got my couches and table stuff brought back inside from the garage and screwed back in place also.

Name:	IMG_2066.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	294.1 KB
ID:	36613

We also took some lite dawn dish soap and water and washed all the walls floor to ceilings and then the ceiling. The fan was what looked like a 1/4 inch thick of dust and grime!

One of the memory foam mattress came today for the loft bed, and flopped in place after a good cleaning of long lost legos and dead flying bugs

LUCID 5 Inch Memory Foam Low Profile-Cooling Gel Infusion-Hypoallergenic Bamboo Charcoal-Breathable Cover Bed Mattress Conventional, RV Queen, WHITE https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082WNCCHX...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Name:	IMG_2064.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	36614
Old 10-21-2021, 07:37 AM   #7
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave_185 View Post
Well my duct work didn’t come apart, it worked pretty slick. I put my shop vac on one end of the system, i took the 20v dewalt leaf blower and stuck it In the other duct (3 total) and stuck the drill on a low speed and work it around.

Attachment 36610
Attachment 36611
Attachment 36612

All things considered my filter is wrecked and smells terrible! I hope it helps the long term.

Does anyone know why RV’s don’t have a filter on the air system similar to a house hvac system? I’d think the space would allow, or does the Gent who sold it to me just no know there is one? And I’m missing it’s location?

I got my couches and table stuff brought back inside from the garage and screwed back in place also.

Attachment 36613

We also took some lite dawn dish soap and water and washed all the walls floor to ceilings and then the ceiling. The fan was what looked like a 1/4 inch thick of dust and grime!

One of the memory foam mattress came today for the loft bed, and flopped in place after a good cleaning of long lost legos and dead flying bugs

LUCID 5 Inch Memory Foam Low Profile-Cooling Gel Infusion-Hypoallergenic Bamboo Charcoal-Breathable Cover Bed Mattress Conventional, RV Queen, WHITE https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082WNCCHX...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Attachment 36614
The A/C system should have filter/filters at the return air intakes, usually cheap foam, but the furnace does not have a filter & is not recommended.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:55 AM   #8
bigdave_185

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The A/C system should have filter/filters at the return air intakes, usually cheap foam, but the furnace does not have a filter & is not recommended.

I haven’t dug into the actual furnace…yet but like your furnace at home do these heat coils collect debris and need cleaned off? Or are they really a non serviceable item?
Old 10-21-2021, 07:45 PM   #9
bigdave_185

Tonight I rehung the pocket door with new hardware, new track, new screws. I rolls really nice and smooth. Adjusted to. Lose against the wall. I might add a rubber bump stop of some type

Name:	IMG_2069.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	36625

Any suggestions on how to lock it so to speak when I want to hide I’m the bedroom?

I was thinking a basic eye screw and the associated hook. Like this

Raswik 4” Privacy Hook and Eye Latch Easy Lock for Barn Door, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SD4KSSG...BE2WBN3ERWFNCJ

And or how to contain it beside the cheesy strap and snap while traveling?
Old 10-21-2021, 09:19 PM   #10
travelin texans

Quote:
I haven’t dug into the actual furnace…yet but like your furnace at home do these heat coils collect debris and need cleaned off? Or are they really a non serviceable item?
Never tore into the furnace to answer that question. I know that of the 6-8 RVs I've owned there was not a filter for any of them for the furnace.
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-22-2021, 07:20 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

[QUOTE=bigdave_185;473652]Tonight I rehung the pocket door with new hardware, new track, new screws. I rolls really nice and smooth. Adjusted to. Lose against the wall. I might add a rubber bump stop of some type
Attachment 36625

Any suggestions on how to lock it so to speak when I want to hide I’m the bedroom?

I was thinking a basic eye screw and the associated hook. Like this

Raswik 4” Privacy Hook and Eye Latch Easy Lock for Barn Door, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SD4KSSG...BE2WBN3ERWFNCJ

And or how to contain it beside the cheesy strap and snap while traveling?[/ QUOTE]

From your pic it looks like you have a snap there to secure the door open for travel. I would put the same thing on the opposite end with the snap on the door above or below the recessed knob. Yes, the same "cheesy one" that's on there now. My trailer is going on 10 yrs old and I just replaced those straps this year due to cracking. They have never failed to hold the doors open and for a few dollars to change them out seem to me to a good value.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 07:51 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
The RV furnace ix not designed to have a filter. Adding one will creat issues with the operation and can void the warranty, in residential and commercial HVAC systems the main purpose of the filter is to catch debris from clogging up the a/c condenser coil. The heat exchanger in a gas, oil, or induction electric furnace will not "clog up" in normal use.

It's the filter manufacturer that tout the "removal of allergens " etc. to sell more and sell more expensive filters. In my opinion a stand alone air cleaner with a hepa filter will do a better job of "cleaning" the air.
Old 10-22-2021, 01:56 PM   #13
bigdave_185

Good to know, I have blown out the vent holes on the furnace box with compressed air and not a whole lot came out which was assuring

What about cleaning out the ac vent stuff??
Old 10-24-2021, 11:13 AM   #14
bigdave_185

Today’s project was to install the new radio unit, but…. There is simply not enough connection room on the new unit, it was sold as DVD player and it doesn’t have plug in source for that, it only has Bluetooth going for it. Back to the store that will go.

Then I applied grease to the moving points on the gate, the ramp door hinges and then to the jacks on the back. The all threads needed some TLC for sure!

I couldn’t find any grease fittings on the leaf spring hangers or any of that drivetrain.

So more things to add I guess. Serviceable shackles and some landing gear still on the list.
Old 10-24-2021, 03:27 PM   #15
travelin texans

Quote:
Today’s project was to install the new radio unit, but…. There is simply not enough connection room on the new unit, it was sold as DVD player and it doesn’t have plug in source for that, it only has Bluetooth going for it. Back to the store that will go.

Then I applied grease to the moving points on the gate, the ramp door hinges and then to the jacks on the back. The all threads needed some TLC for sure!

I couldn’t find any grease fittings on the leaf spring hangers or any of that drivetrain.

So more things to add I guess. Serviceable shackles and some landing gear still on the list.
Get the MorRyde heavy shackle kit, it comes with 1/2" thick shackles, wet bolts for all & enough bronze bushings to replace all.
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-25-2021, 04:23 PM   #16
bigdave_185

Never seems to smell good in the trailer no matter how much I clean or remove. So I’m trying bacon smell lol. Furnace on and lots of bacon for breakfast burritos tonight lol next up I’ll pull the smoker into the garage and smoke some salmon on the grill in the garage.

Name:	IMG_2100.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	324.1 KB
ID:	36735
Old 10-26-2021, 06:01 AM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Never seems to smell good in the trailer no matter how much I clean or remove. So I’m trying bacon smell lol. Furnace on and lots of bacon for breakfast burritos tonight lol next up I’ll pull the smoker into the garage and smoke some salmon on the grill in the garage.

Attachment 36735
What is the "Never seems to smell good " ? What does it smell like? An "old" or "musty" smell is usually caused by mold. If it's cigarette smoke smell then some ionizers may help. Some rental centers rent larger ionizers.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:49 AM   #18
wiredgeorge

Suggest you wait until it starts raining. Put your puppy out in the rain and bring him in. Wet dog smell will cover just about any other smell anywhere.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:31 PM   #19
bigdave_185

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
What is the "Never seems to smell good " ? What does it smell like? An "old" or "musty" smell is usually caused by mold. If it's cigarette smoke smell then some ionizers may help. Some rental centers rent larger ionizers.

It’s hard to identify the smell, i have pulled up every possible mold location like under carpet, under the linoleum flooring by the water fixtures, the slides, under the fridge,the garage area smells fine, I have checked all the weather stripping and so forth.

I do think they had a mold issue in the master floor under the bed, the part that moves on the slide out. I sprayed it with Hydrogen peroxide and then scrubbed, then hit it with a bleach solution for positive feel goods. That knocked it down and out.
I do want to pull the complete underbelly of the trailer and check all of the insulation ( I have a buddy who runs a spray insulation company for closed cell foam) clean off the belly covering stuff and or replace it, have my friend spray foam the underside a good four inches thick.

My wife doesn’t smell anything it’s just me.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:32 PM   #20
bigdave_185

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Suggest you wait until it starts raining. Put your puppy out in the rain and bring him in. Wet dog smell will cover just about any other smell anywhere.

That there isn’t a bad idea lol

Previous post mentioned cigarette smoke, maybe I resort to that with some thick cigars lol I’d love it. Wife not so much!

Tags
keystone, raptor