Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2021, 03:32 PM   #1
Courser Farm

Summit Tv Remote

Just picked up our new unit yesterday. Could not believe that the included tv is not smart. But today the remote only worked for a few minutes. Tried new batteries. Managed to change volume once. Now dead in the water. Any feedback from anybody? TYIA
Former Horse Campers Ready for New Experiences!
Courser Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 04:13 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

I'd buy a cheap universal remote. If that tv isn't listed most have a 'searc" feature where you ho.d down 2 buttons until the tv turns of them you release tne buttons and your done.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 04:39 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courser Farm View Post
Just picked up our new unit yesterday. Could not believe that the included tv is not smart. But today the remote only worked for a few minutes. Tried new batteries. Managed to change volume once. Now dead in the water. Any feedback from anybody? TYIA

I am not trying to be a smart aleck but did you not check that on your PDI? If a smart TV (many/most don't come with them..at least 2020) that would be something I would check. Mine didn't but putting one in was one of the first mods I did.

As far as the remote I would follow Marshall's suggestion and just get a cheap universal unit.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 05:28 PM   #4
Courser Farm

It worked yesterday at the PDI. Worked a bit last night. Not today. Thanks all. We are gonna replace this POS with a better one.
Old 08-18-2021, 07:17 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
It worked yesterday at the PDI. Worked a bit last night. Not today. Thanks all. We are gonna replace this POS with a better one.
Measure the clearence for the tv and look at the dimensions on a replacement tv and not the screen size. Typically a "quality tv" that will fit in the space will have a screen that's several inches larger. Today's tv prices are very affordable so add that to the list of things that didn't come with the camper (hoses, leveling blocks, EMS, water regulator, TPMS, etc.) or the "replace the junk list" like a mattress, tv, sometimes tires, etc.
Old 08-18-2021, 07:22 PM   #6
LHaven

Before buying a replacement, keep in mind that it takes two to tango -- your remote may be going south, OR the TV's IR receiver may be going south.

Take a digital camera (I used to use an actual camera, but I just verified that my iPhone works, and I assume an Android will, too), point the remote at it, and press a button. (You don't have to actually snap a photo or take a video, just watch the viewfinder.) The camera will convert the remote's infrared into visible light so you can verify the remote is working. If you don't see a visible light, do the same test with another remote you know works.

If the remote puts out light consistently and reproducibly, it's probably not the component at fault. If it works another Summit TV (e.g., at your dealer), then it definitely isn't.
Old 08-19-2021, 03:08 AM   #7
Courser Farm

Sometimes logic evades me. Using my home tv’s remote I’ve pointed it at my iPhone camera- front and back repeatedly and see no light at all. Am I missing a trick?
Old 08-19-2021, 04:26 AM   #8
LHaven

Quote:
Sometimes logic evades me. Using my home tv’s remote I’ve pointed it at my iPhone camera- front and back repeatedly and see no light at all. Am I missing a trick?
Here's an example of what you see when you point a working infrared remote at an iPhone and hold a button on it. (A bit unfocused, but it was in the dark.) If your remote is very rare and is something other than IR, like RF, this trick won't work. Make sure to use a button that "repeats," like VOL or CHAN.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8556.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	35329  
Old 08-19-2021, 04:33 AM   #9
Courser Farm

Thank you!!
Old 08-19-2021, 06:01 AM   #10
Courser Farm

Appreciate very much your help on this. It worked!! Used my good remote for house tv. Took me too long to figure out to use the reverse camera. So on the remote for the summit tv, I got a purple glow once, then it quit. Worked at it, and got it again, and then it quit. So we are assuming it is the remote not the tv. Thank you for your patience on this, LHaven.
Old 08-25-2021, 12:53 PM   #11
boxcar

First thing I did with the Summit that came with my rig was replace it with a good Vizio.

However, I put the Summit in the bedroom and got fed up with the complex remote. I added a voice control FireTV Stick in the HMDI3 (Roku) port. After going through the setup, the FireTV remote now controls on/off and volume and we mostly stream. When I do watch local TV I use a FireTV Cube connected to the antennae and the OTA channels come in via WiFi to the FireTV Stick. The Cube lets me record OTA programming, too.

So, no need for the silly Summit remote. It's not a great unit but certainly useable when smarts are added.
B&W Turnover Ball & Companion Hitch
Torklift Stableload Rear Suspension & Revolution Steps
Handi Lift Elevator (not yet installed)
boxcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 01:06 PM   #12
Courser Farm

Remotely remote

Thanks for the feed back- and I may order the fire stick or we may replace the tv.... bought a universal remote that took a while to program because of course there were no codes to be found for a "Summit". But got it to work, and then today was gonna show the hubs and of course it doesn't work. And then of course I tried the original one and it worked.... we were trying the water heater etc, and just for the heck of it, tried the remote again. Nada! So prolly gonna replace it for sure. Grrrr. And thank you for your service!
Old 08-25-2021, 02:33 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

I've not owned a Summit TV but figure they're along the lines of a Furrion which this one came with.....cheapest option. I replaced this one with a Vizio Smart TV and have been very pleased. The reason I wanted to comment was the mention of the Amazon Fire Stick. We love them. Tried Roku initially and was not impressed so tried a Fire Stick - I was so impressed I put them on all my TVs in all my houses as well as the RV. Might look into those as an option to use.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:18 AM   #14
Courser Farm

Follow up on the bad tv/remote- warranty dept says they are sending us a check for the tv and we just replace it. She immediately said, oh the tv's remote sensor is bad. Sounds like it is a known issue, just FYI.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:35 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Follow up on the bad tv/remote- warranty dept says they are sending us a check for the tv and we just replace it. She immediately said, oh the tv's remote sensor is bad. Sounds like it is a known issue, just FYI.

Thanks for the followup. Folks always wonder what the resolution is to posted problems.

I'm glad they are taking care of you. If they are sending that check from Keystone I'm glad to hear that. The workload, backlog, parts shortages etc. may have had an impact on their normal mode of operation. Now, hopefully the check is for a reasonable amount and not $10!!! Good luck on getting it all taken care of.
Old 09-06-2021, 08:16 PM   #16
LHaven

This week I've been looking for manuals on the web for the appliances and systems in the Cougar so I'll have searchable versions on my computer instead of having to dig out the booklets. Not only couldn't I find one for my Summit TV, but I couldn't even find a website for the company that makes Summit TVs! Talk about your graymarket merchandise!

I did find a Summit TV shop in Colorado -- the top two lines of their homepage, that show right in the Google search, essentially say, "We're not the guys who make Summit TVs for RVs, so stop asking!"
Old 09-07-2021, 03:44 AM   #17
Courser Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
This week I've been looking for manuals on the web for the appliances and systems in the Cougar so I'll have searchable versions on my computer instead of having to dig out the booklets. Not only couldn't I find one for my Summit TV, but I couldn't even find a website for the company that makes Summit TVs! Talk about your graymarket merchandise!

I did find a Summit TV shop in Colorado -- the top two lines of their homepage, that show right in the Google search, essentially say, "We're not the guys who make Summit TVs for RVs, so stop asking!"
Oh that is a priceless response!! " We are not alone " Thanks for the chuckles.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:54 AM   #18
Courser Farm

Almost 2 mos later........tv replacement still a WIP

An update because we all hate to miss the end of the story...... Dealer now contacted us and said Keystone wants a picture of the tv with the power cord cut off! I hadn't gotten around to seeing if my boy child was interested in trying to jury rig it, and it was still laying face down in a back bedroom. So we hauled it out to where I could get a good angle shot of it, and Alan cut it off- I took shots of him cutting it and of it laying dead next to the tv.
So now we are waiting *patiently* for the check to help pay for the nice tv we replaced the POS with. So I guess I'll still have to follow up one more time. Anybody bored yet? Happy travels!
Old 10-18-2021, 09:57 AM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
An update because we all hate to miss the end of the story...... Dealer now contacted us and said Keystone wants a picture of the tv with the power cord cut off! I hadn't gotten around to seeing if my boy child was interested in trying to jury rig it, and it was still laying face down in a back bedroom. So we hauled it out to where I could get a good angle shot of it, and Alan cut it off- I took shots of him cutting it and of it laying dead next to the tv.
So now we are waiting *patiently* for the check to help pay for the nice tv we replaced the POS with. So I guess I'll still have to follow up one more time. Anybody bored yet? Happy travels!
Congrats on jumping thru another hoop!
Old 10-18-2021, 02:17 PM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

At least they didn't ask for the center section of the power cord to be mailed to them... At least "not yet" .... As Curt Vonnegut said so many times, "And so it goes".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remote