Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2021, 11:48 AM   #1
rosede

Adjusting WD for new tow vehicle

I have a EAZ-Lift weight distribution hitch. I've had this for about 15 years, three different tow vehicles and two different trailers.

When I first bought it, I had a 1998 Mazda B4000 Pickup towing a smaller travel trailer (not a keystone). I then upgrade the truck to a 2008 Ford F150 4x4 with a 5.4 liter V8. I then upgrade my camper to my current, 2012 Keystone Outback. Each time, the hitch was adjusted by the dealer.

I recently upgrade the tow vehicle to a 2018 Ram 4x4 BigHorn. This truck sits up a little higher than my Ford did. I watched a few videos on adjusting the WD hitch.

Prior to any adjustments, I leveled out the trailer tongue, however, the camper itself was not level. I don't remember the measurements of the camper prior to leveling the tongue, but once I leveled the tongue, the camper body was higher in the front than in the rear.

I turned the shank upside down so I could mount the ball up as high as it would go, but with that, the truck still drops about 2 1/2". The tongue dropped about 2", but the camper body is level, front to back.

So, I'm not sure if I really have this balanced correctly or not. The tongue weight is <700 pounds, and the springs are 750 pounds. Would upgrading the springs make a difference? Will upgrading the springs to 1000 pounds help in leveling the truck and camper?

Any advice or is this about as good as what I'm going to get?

Thanks

Daryl

rosede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 02:56 PM   #2
rosede

I'm wondering if I need a different shank, something that I can raise the ball up another inch or two? The current shank is 9.5". If I were to get a 12" shank and move the ball up another inch or two, will that keep the truck from dropping to 2"?

Thanks

Daryl

rosede is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow