Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2021, 05:15 AM   #1
jwfrede

Hello I'm new to the forum

Hello everyone from central PA.

New to the forum, but not RVing. I've been on the Forrest River Forum for 5 years. Looks just like this one but with a name change and color scheme change. Must be same outfit managing them both.

I just put a deposit on a new leftover 2020 Cougar Fifth Wheel 27SGS. I would have picked it up but I need a truck. I have a F-350 coming but its not in yet. Was shipped early last week, but apparently shipping a truck isn't as easy as my amazon shipments as I've yet to hear from the dealer about arrival.

Hope it comes in soon as I have another long 10 week trip scheduled starting June 27. I am retired so plenty of time the last few years for RVing. I've got Grand Teton NP, a month in Idaho, Mt Rainer NP, Yellowstone, and Custer SP on the agenda. Every single night is a reservation due to influx of new campers, dang it. No flexibility. Hope nothing goes wrong.

Each year I take one or two big trips, one is usually about 10 weeks to the western US from east coast. I live near State College, PA, so its a haul every year. That diesel on the F-350 will come in handy.

Today I'll call up for the last main reservation for another big 10 week 2022 trip to California, stating late Feb. Again, a reservation for every single day will be made. I am hoping things return to near normal for the fall 2022 trip. Usually after Labor Day the campgrounds are less busy.

Happy camping out there.
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:18 AM   #2
travelin texans

If returning through the southwest part of the country after Labor Day is when the season starts due to all the snowbirds flocking in & may be worse this fall if the Canadians are able to leave again.
The RV Resort we live in is booked full from mid Sept '21 through mid April '22 already as will most in southern Arizona, with or without the Canadians.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:15 PM   #3
Gary R.

Hello Jeff, and welcome!

It does take awhile for those new trucks to make it to dealers.

We had the same issue back in 2014 when we purchased our RAM 3500. I recall the dealer had lots of 2500's, but we needed the one ton.

Sounds like you have some long trips planned!

Have fun and travel safe!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 03:41 AM   #4
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 06-04-2021, 04:26 AM   #5
Gegrad

Howdy, and welcome from nearby western PA!
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 04:31 AM   #6
Roper46

Welcome from south Georgia. Congrats on your purchase and safe travels to you.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 05:47 AM   #7
UKLimey

Congrats on your new trailer. We have the same model.

You'll love it.

Safe travels!
Our Website
UKLimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:13 AM   #8
Camping family

Welcome and enjoy your trips. Be safe in your travels and I agree it takes time to get in a special order truck especially now with no one having any on there lot. I received many calls from my Ford dealer who I deal with. He wants my 2019 f250 badly. Told him find me a f350 like I have and we will deal. Told me only way to get another truck is order it and it wouldn’t be in till sometime in December.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:34 AM   #9
jwfrede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post
Welcome and enjoy your trips. Be safe in your travels and I agree it takes time to get in a special order truck especially now with no one having any on there lot. I received many calls from my Ford dealer who I deal with. He wants my 2019 f250 badly. Told him find me a f350 like I have and we will deal. Told me only way to get another truck is order it and it wouldn’t be in till sometime in December.
Thanks for the welcome. I didn't order the truck. I found it on Ford's website. I got lucky, in that it was ordered by the dealer and awaiting shipment from the manufacturing plant. I'm not sure this truck was posted on the dealer's website and probably just showed up on the website about the time I searched. Still need to go 200 miles to get it.

I wanted an F-350, crewcab, 6.75' bed and a diesel. Not many around. I am also getting a good price on my F-150 as a trade in. This is a really big dealer with multiple locations in Fairfax, Va. My local dealer can't even order anything right now.

If you search online every few days you may find something. Also, I have the X-plan so I don't have to pay top dollar either. The X-plan supplier discount usually about meets what a good negotiator would get. My small local dealer wouldn't honor the x-plan at this time and wanted full MSRP for whatever he did have.

Had a hard time finding the trailer also. Not many around to even go look at. I had to go 140 miles for the trailer. I had almost given up on everything and then it all came together over the course of a day or so. Trailer was a new leftover up near the NY border where population density is low. So I actually got a fair price on the trailer. About 28% under MSRP, although previous model year.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:41 AM   #10
Camping family

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfrede View Post
Thanks for the welcome. I didn't order the truck. I found it on Ford's website. I got lucky, in that it was ordered by the dealer and awaiting shipment from the manufacturing plant. I'm not sure this truck was posted on the dealer's website and probably just showed up on the website about the time I searched. Still need to go 200 miles to get it.

I wanted an F-350, crewcab, 6.75' bed and a diesel. Not many around. I am also getting a good price on my F-150 as a trade in. This is a really big dealer with multiple locations in Fairfax, Va. My local dealer can't even order anything right now.

If you search online every few days you may find something. Also, I have the X-plan so I don't have to pay top dollar either. The X-plan supplier discount usually about meets what a good negotiator would get. My small local dealer wouldn't honor the x-plan at this time and wanted full MSRP for whatever he did have.

Had a hard time finding the trailer also. Not many around to even go look at. I had to go 140 miles for the trailer. I had almost given up on everything and then it all came together over the course of a day or so. Trailer was a new leftover up near the NY border where population density is low. So I actually got a fair price on the trailer. About 28% under MSRP, although previous model year.
Having the x plan makes a big difference. I get the z plan which is the same but for retired employees and family. Save a bundle and don’t have to haggle over the price. Just on your trade.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 11:05 AM   #11
jwfrede

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKLimey View Post
Congrats on your new trailer. We have the same model.

You'll love it.

Safe travels!
Thanks. I looked at your website. Looks as though we like some of the same places, such as Maroon Bells and Ridgeway SP in CO.

I noticed you used some kind of stabilizer on the Chaparral but don't appear to use anything on the Cougar. Is the Cougar stable enough that you just use the 4 point jacks? Thanks in advance. I won't have a chance to test out the rig before leaving on my next trip.