Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2021, 05:32 AM   #1
billy4518

Thumbs up Question concerning water fill

Good Morning everyone, SO please bear with me I am new to the camper world I just recently bought a used but in great shape 2008 raptor toy hauler. We are about to go to a campground that does not have a water hookup my issue is this. When filling the fresh water tank (says its 110 Gal) the what i assume is a drain? that is underneath the trailer will start draining out some people are telling me this is an overflow yet when I start adding water it comes out my question is this when filling the tank should i just leave it cracked to allow the pressure to not build in the tank. then once the tank is full shut it i feel like there is a piece missing so i got a clear piece of hose with a ball valve to stop the water from draining see the attached picture of how it was before i added a clear tube and ball valve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	272C006A-350D-4971-8D68-4D9BF6EF16AF.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	369.3 KB
ID:	32454  
billy4518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:44 AM   #2
Brentw

Wow, word salad. Try breaking up your post, its a bit hard to follow.
No picture attached.
If it is under your trailer it is possibly, fresh water tank drain, or the low point drains on your water lines. If that is where you are, they do not need to be cracked for venting. There should be a vent behind the door for the tank fill, a 1/4 inch screened hole beside the fill cap.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:47 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. Your picture didn't post. Some low point drains do not have a valve and only the cap keeps the water in. No need to keep it open while filling as it's in the bottom of the tank and will be covered not allowing air to escape AND the that tank has vent somewhere. On gravity feed tanks that vent may be part of the fill neck or it may be very close by.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:48 AM   #4
billy4518

I am trying to upload the picture now and my water fill is right on the side of the camper . It has a small cap with a tiny hole in it that screws off to insert the garden hose
Old 03-15-2021, 06:00 AM   #5
billy4518

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentw View Post
Wow, word salad. Try breaking up your post, its a bit hard to follow.
No picture attached.
If it is under your trailer it is possibly, fresh water tank drain, or the low point drains on your water lines. If that is where you are, they do not need to be cracked for venting. There should be a vent behind the door for the tank fill, a 1/4 inch screened hole beside the fill cap.
Picture just uploaded
Old 03-15-2021, 06:03 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

That's the FW tank drain and yes it's missing the cap. I'd get a can of spray foam and fill in around that pipe as well.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:04 AM   #7
billy4518

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
That's the FW tank drain and yes it's missing the cap. I'd get a can of spray foam and fill in around that pipe as well.

I kinda figured it was missing something i just added a short piece of tubing and the ball valve so it would stop draining thank you
Old 03-15-2021, 07:53 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Yep, fresh water drain. Just get a cap or cut that off and put a valve on it. I would also use a bit of spray foam to fill in those cracks. You will find that on a trailer that old you may need a few cans of foam to fill all the cracks and voids on the bottom, which you need to do to prevent water intrusion as well as unwanted pests.

Edit: you leave the line closed all the time unless you are draining the fresh water tank - don't leave it open while trying to fill, travel or just sitting.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water