Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2021, 07:02 AM   #1
Bamabox

Bearings, seals and grease.

Planning on some longer trips this season. 2017 Cougar Xlite 21rbs. Westlake tires coming off, bought GY Endurance will go on when snow piles melt. Going to do clean, inspect, repack, new seals. Axle tag........Dexter 4400lb 6 bolt axles. Dexter website lists part#’s for bearings and seals. Can I take that as Gospel? If so, what brand? Timkin? Also they list approved greases. Red and tacky not on the list. Any idea why? Lots of guys on here seem to swear by it. Thanks. The

2015 Ram 3500 SLT 5.7 Hemi
Bamabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:18 AM   #2
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabox View Post
Planning on some longer trips this season. 2017 Cougar Xlite 21rbs. Westlake tires coming off, bought GY Endurance will go on when snow piles melt. Going to do clean, inspect, repack, new seals. Axle tag........Dexter 4400lb 6 bolt axles. Dexter website lists part#’s for bearings and seals. Can I take that as Gospel? If so, what brand? Timkin? Also they list approved greases. Red and tacky not on the list. Any idea why? Lots of guys on here seem to swear by it. Thanks. The
Hi Bama,
I would remove existing bearings, seals and races first. Take the numbers off those and then order, you can't fail that way. The bearings should be ok as they're not that old. Spare seals are a good thing.

There are a lot of variables with that 4400# axle, once you start down that rabbit hole you might not come back.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:43 AM   #3
gearhead

Call Dexter and give them the axle info. Ask what the Timken numbers are. It's been awhile since I talked to them but they were helpful. I also trusted what they said. Try to use Dexter seals as well.
Keep one set your old bearings and a new seal for emergency repairs.
I think Mobil1 Synthetic is listed as an approved grease. That's what I used. However it is very "creamy" and not at all stiff. I never had an issue with it over several years. If you like Red and Tacky, use it.
You may also want a bearing and seal installation tool kit if you don't have one. Mine came from Harbor Freight.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:13 AM   #4
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Call Dexter and give them the axle info. Ask what the Timken numbers are. It's been awhile since I talked to them but they were helpful. I also trusted what they said. Try to use Dexter seals as well.
Keep one set your old bearings and a new seal for emergency repairs.
I think Mobil1 Synthetic is listed as an approved grease. That's what I used. However it is very "creamy" and not at all stiff. I never had an issue with it over several years. If you like Red and Tacky, use it.
You may also want a bearing and seal installation tool kit if you don't have one. Mine came from Harbor Freight.
Yes! What he said.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:28 AM   #5
Bamabox

Thanks, yes I have a bearing install kit, and one of those Lisle repackers that I’ve used once and works well. Sounds like the Mobil 1 synthetic has less viscosity that something like red and tacky. Wouldn’t that make it work better using the EZ lube option if you desired to give an occasional spin and squirt? Less viscosity, less pressure on seals as you pump I would think.

Old 03-08-2021, 09:35 AM   #6
Bamabox

And I did call Dexter this morning. Talked to a nice lady named Connie. Gave her the serial # of my axles, she pulled the build sheet and emailed it to me. Build sheet had Dexter part #’s for bearings, but she gave me the generic or Timkin #’s, such as 68149 bearing 68111 cup for the inner on my 4400lb axles. I’m having a little trouble finding Dexter oem seals. Any thoughts?

Old 03-08-2021, 09:38 AM   #7
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabox View Post
And I did call Dexter this morning. Talked to a nice lady named Connie. Gave her the serial # of my axles, she pulled the build sheet and emailed it to me. Build sheet had Dexter part #’s for bearings, but she gave me the generic or Timkin #’s, such as 68149 bearing 68111 cup for the inner on my 4400lb axles. I’m having a little trouble finding Dexter oem seals. Any thoughts?
https://www.timken.com/products/timk...roducts/seals/
Old 03-09-2021, 06:25 AM   #8
ChuckS

Quite frankly Dexters grease spec sheet is obsolete .. in my opinion... I am using Red & Tacky grease on my current 7 year old RV and have used red & tacky for decades on all axle bearings on many RVs , motorcycles, and autos..

Specs
https://lucasoil.com/pdf/TDS_Red-Tacky-Grease.pdf

Image is my OEM Dexter bearings with 35K miles on them using only Red & Tacky
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F740AE7E-6E73-43B2-867E-7C6CBDA46200.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	32369  

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:34 AM   #9
Bamabox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Quite frankly Dexters grease spec sheet is obsolete .. in my opinion... I am using Red & Tacky grease on my current 7 year old RV and have used red & tacky for decades on all axle bearings on many RVs , motorcycles, and autos..

Specs
https://lucasoil.com/pdf/TDS_Red-Tacky-Grease.pdf

Image is my OEM Dexter bearings with 35K miles on them using only Red & Tacky
Impressive. Picture is worth 1000 words, as they say.

Tags
grease