Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2021, 05:15 AM   #1
jasin1

IN·Command hvac issues

So it looks like my wife could have a career in finding weaknesses in computer systems ...she woke got up early to start breakfast and wanted to turn the heat up...I previously showed her the iN·command process and she assured me she had it under control.... first thing I heard was front ac coming on....next ..rear ac...then I hear “oops” ...”darn!”.... I jump up and ask her to back slowly away from the keypad ..she is complying but still attempting to key in something furiously...( I’m pretty sure this was her entering the sabotage code)...I check everything and reset the hvac controls.
Now unfortunately the rear ac fan runs constantly when the furnace heat comes on.. nothing I do will make it shut off other then turning breaker off.
I’m pretty sure the fan control board or module is fried..I tried rebooting the iN·Command keypad....nothing works...is there a module in the ac unit ? Or is it all in the iN·command board in the front basement?... possibly the relay is just sticking in the ac fan control and will break loose when I start towing but that’s highly unlikely
Old 03-07-2021, 05:54 AM   #2
ChuckS

Sounds like you have the FAN set at ON instead of AUTO. If i5s set to ON for Zone 1 and your turn furance on the AC fan will also run

Zone 1 AC control module is where the furance signal wires come from to turn furance on and off

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:07 AM   #3
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Sounds like you have the FAN set at ON instead of AUTO. If i5s set to ON for Zone 1 and your turn furance on the AC fan will also run

Zone 1 AC control module is where the furance signal wires come from to turn furance on and off
Yeah I checked that. It definitely not set on on.. she had it set to fan on for the rear ac and the furnace was also on.. I turned the fan back to off and it still runs.. if I turn all the hvac controls to off. It will all shut off but as soon as I turn the heat back on the fan rear ac fan will also come back on and continue to run even when the furnace satisfies the thermostat.. the furnace fan will shut offf but the rear ac fan continues to run.. it shouldn’t be on at all I realize and all the controls are off for it....she briefly had the heat/off/ac/auto switch set to auto (not the fan auto) It’s almost as if the fan module for the ac is getting a signal for fan and won’t shut off...I’m going to try and shut battery disconnect off and hope that does something... I’ve rebooted the in command board and when I shut the ac breaker off and turn the hvac controls to off,then turn ac breaker back on,the ac fan will stay off....as soon as I turn back to heat and it calls for heat then the fan comes back on and will not shut off at the end of heat cycle..pretty frustrating..I hope it’s just the fan module and not the iN·Command board because I will just order one instead of doing warranty
Old 03-07-2021, 02:07 PM   #4
jasin1

Quote:

Thanks for responding earlier.. your more experienced with rv systems then I am
Old 03-07-2021, 03:25 PM   #5
jasin1

Quote:

Figured it out! Kinda weird... if you have the fan switch set to “off” it lets the furnace run as normal with its own fan BUT the fan from the rear ac will come on and not shut off only when the furnace kicks on. Then it won’t shut off at all unless you switch it to auto or turn the breaker off ... it’s acting like it’s set to “fan on” whether it’s “ on” or “off” ....I definitely didn’t have it set to “fan on “ so I didn’t even think to set it to auto because the furnace fan is controlled by either a fan limit switch or fan timer ... I’ve been doing this for over 35 years and sometimes it’s the simplest things... and I always say when your sure of something THATS when you limit your ability to look at everything..
When you said it sounds like the fan switch is “on” ..I KNEW it wasn’t so I didn’t give it another thought..lol I should have at least cycled through the different settings and I would have figured it out... I guess they have it programmed wrong so you should never leave the fan to the off setting.... that should NOT make any difference and it should really only allow you to choose “auto” or “on”
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5CDC1F1B-EC3C-4BD2-8FA2-9D1B717245BF.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	32338  
Old 03-07-2021, 04:34 PM   #6
LHaven

Quote:
It's even worse than that. If you have the FAN set to OFF, it is ON! To turn the fan off, it has to be set to AUTO!

This is such a commonly encountered problem that inCommand includes it on their one-page quickstart guide for the HVAC.

It's not their bug, it's the way the Dometic HVAC gateway operates. (I don't know why they don't just change the button legends on their own screen to match "how rational people expect the settings to work")
Old 03-07-2021, 04:38 PM   #7
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
It's even worse than that. If you have the FAN set to OFF, it is ON! To turn the fan off, it has to be set to AUTO!

This is such a commonly encountered problem that inCommand includes it on their one-page quickstart guide for the HVAC.

It's not their bug, it's the way the Dometic HVAC gateway operates. (I don't know why they don't just change the button legends on their own screen to match "how rational people expect the settings to work")
I’ve installed thousands of thermostats and it goes against everything I know lol

And why would I read the instructions that would be too easy...ughhhh Something so simple
Old 03-07-2021, 04:54 PM   #8
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I’ve installed thousands of thermostats and it goes against everything I know lol

And why would I read the instructions that would be too easy...ughhhh Something so simple
The Dometic gateway seems to have been designed by the Three Stooges. My rig came with one that refused to turn the furnace on if the ambient temperature was less than 55°, or the AC if the ambient temperature was over 100° -- pretty much when you would need them the most. Dealer had to replace the gateway under warranty. There was a "secret recall" on them, but my SN range wasn't in it until I did all the homework for them.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:00 PM   #9
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
The Dometic gateway seems to have been designed by the Three Stooges. My rig came with one that refused to turn the furnace on if the ambient temperature was less than 55°, or the AC if the ambient temperature was over 100° -- pretty much when you would need them the most. Dealer had to replace the gateway under warranty. There was a "secret recall" on them, but my SN range wasn't in it until I did all the homework for them.
I think I read your detailed post (very good) on your issues.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:43 PM   #10
ChuckS

Also for “down the road” someday issues...

The gateway and or control module (depending on the AC unit) ALWAYS has 12 VDC present to it either from the battery BUS feed 8n the power center or if on shore power from converter 12vdc to power center DC BUs..

So if the HVAC is doing weird things the best option I’ve seen on dozens and dozens of In Command owners is to KILL shore power and battery cutoff turned off and wait a minute to allow the relays to “reset” themselves and then turn on battery disconnect and apply shore power..

Resetting the BCM rarely seems to help folks I’ve worked with over the last tw9 years if having HVAC issues with In Command control

Also I’d check the firmware version and make sure your current with what ASA Jensen has on their website..

Overall it appears Jensen is getting better with their system .. KeyTV module however continues to suck beyond belief... to me it’s a huge marketing mistake because they didn’t field test the system, high rate failures and service departments aren’t up to speed on how it’s supposed to function

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote