Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2020, 06:17 PM   #1
flyingjack

moving sliders

2013 Mountaineer DBQ with 4 slides: parked and winterized. Checked on ADCO cover and noticed back three slides are out/open about one inch. All were closed and twist valves for each slide were in off position and pretty tight. Never saw this before and we bought the rig new. Any ideas what is going on and/or what to check.
Thanks for ideas and/or opinions
Jack
flyingjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:28 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Run the slides back out. Then in and when the pump motor starts to labor, stay on the button for 2 seconds. Then leave the valves alone. Some solenoids require pressure to maintain their position.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:05 PM   #3
flyingjack

Chuckster57; to be clear, should I leave the valves in the open position and NOT close them after slide is in and I start bringing in the next slide?
Thanks
Old 10-15-2020, 07:44 PM   #4
bsmith0404

I always close my valves, never had a problem doing it that way. There is a known problem and I experienced it once when temps drop down into the 30s you can get some creep. My bedroom slide opened about 3 inches 2 consecutive days. Hasn’t happened since, that was 5 years ago and before I started closing the valves. To be honest, I don’t know if closing the valves makes a difference. I only started doing that in the past 2 years. I’d try it without closing them like Chuckster said and see what happens.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:56 AM   #5
ChuckS

I’d open and close those slide outs about five times to purge air that might be in system out..

Also there is NO reason to ever close slide out valve unless you are wanting to only move a specific slide out..

2000 psi hyd pressure is used to maintain the hyd cylinder in the closed position..

If problem shows up again in a few days or so after you have bled the system ...and there is no visible leak then one of the hyd slide out cylinders is leaking internally

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:54 AM   #6
bsmith0404

ChuckS. Can you please explain the pressure needed to keep the cylinders closed. I am not a hydraulic expert by any stretch of the word, but my understanding of a hydraulic system is that fluid and pressure is required to extend and retract the cylinder. Pressure from the pump pushing fluid into the cylinder will extend it, and internal pressure created from the pump pulling fluid out retracts it, almost like creating a vacuum since the system is a closed system. With a lack of pressure to push to cylinder back out, the vacuum effect created from removing the fluid should be maintained internally and hold it in. Fluid leak across a valve creates a pressure imbalance or added pressure on one side over another which can cause cylinder creep. If the system doesn’t have any external leaks and outside of internal valve leak which only changes the amount of pressure on one side or another of the valve, shouldn’t the pressure inside the line be maintained at a steady state regardless of valve being open or closed? When the pump shuts off, it is no longer creating pressure, the pressure is maintained by the fact that the system is sealed. I agree that there really isn’t any reason to close the valves if everything is working properly. At the same time, closing the valves shouldn’t have any impact on the cylinders either, since the internal pressure to close them and keep them closed has already been created by the pump. Am I missing something or is my basic understanding correct?

As for the OPs problem, I agree it’s probably caused by a internal leak creating a pressure change allowing the cylinder to creep. As I mentioned before, there is a known problem with this at colder temps. I don’t know what temps the OP is experiencing right now. Back when I had my problem, I took it to a shop where they couldn’t duplicate it. I then contacted Lippert and they told me about the cold temp issue and said that was most likely the cause. The problem for mine seems to have fixed itself since I haven’t experienced it for 5 years. Maybe the process of extending and retracting the slides to bleed the system helped or cured the problem.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 05:19 PM   #7
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
ChuckS. Can you please explain the pressure needed to keep the cylinders closed. I am not a hydraulic expert by any stretch of the word, but my understanding of a hydraulic system is that fluid and pressure is required to extend and retract the cylinder. Pressure from the pump pushing fluid into the cylinder will extend it, and internal pressure created from the pump pulling fluid out retracts it, almost like creating a vacuum since the system is a closed system.
a hydrualic system doesnt work that way, a cylinder will have a piston on the end of the moving rod that is sealed along the cylender walls, there will be a inlet on each side of that piston, usaly on each end of the cylinder. so the pump will pump to one side of the pistion and that pressure will push the oil out of the other side and back to the hydraulic tank. therre is no vacume in a hydraluic system.

here is a video that simplifies it.

Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:28 PM   #8
ChuckS

My Alpine has 3 hyd slide outs and six point hyd level system

Both systems depend on hyd pressure to actively hold the hyd actuator either extended or retracted ..

Any bleed off of hyd pressure eithe internally or external will cause the slides to creep out if closed

I’ve had one bedroom slide creep out one time two years ago during winter ..our temps typically hit 0 and below

I inspected the act and saw no external leaks...cycled slides 3 times and closed ..they stayed closed for the next 3 months...

That was 2 years ago...no further issues...attribute it to air or gremlins

The other explanation another OP posted is spot on regarding hyd systems...

Pic is from Lippert hyd slide out manual...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F3D9B1F7-0237-44A9-9208-F8044A4F0DEC.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	30424  

Old 10-20-2020, 06:41 PM   #9
ChuckS

Also if closing off the manual valve for the hyd slides eliminates the issue of slide out creeping it might indicate an issue with the solenoid valve for the slide outs ... there is typically only 1 solenoid valve used for all hyd slide outs ... if the valve is not electrically closing all the way it will allow pressure to bleed off and a slide out will creep out.

Also if the Hydac manual override screw on that valve is not fully closed it can cause this....

My bet is most likely air in the system or internal leak on that slides hyd cylinder

Old 10-21-2020, 03:56 AM   #10
flyingjack

Great info guys; I'll try leaving valves open. Also, we (north of Denver) were above normal temps and dropped for a quick cold spell and back up. Very likely the temp issue.
Thanks again,

Jack

BTW, my second ADCO cover is taking a beating in 50+ mph winds. Covered every sharp corner with foam as well as both AC units and all vents. When this cover goes; we're done with covers. Just wax each spring.......
Old 10-21-2020, 04:54 AM   #11
ChuckS

And if you really want to “Know” whether you have a hydraulic cylinder on a slide out that’s leaking internally and causing rooms to drift out here is exactly how to verify....

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001910.pdf

Old 10-22-2020, 02:46 AM   #12
flyingjack

Chuck, very good info. Thanks
Jack

Tags
slide