Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2020, 04:40 PM   #1
Camping family

Level system

Okay I’m camping 2nd time. Unhooked pressed auto level n it starts doing it’s thing. Camper gets level but some wheels are off the ground. Is this a issues
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 04:47 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Your good.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:13 PM   #3
Camping family

Thank you we are new to the camping life
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:45 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Your welcome. We often times use the manual mode to lift units high enough to do axle services.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:59 AM   #5
LewisB

^^^Agree with Chuck. I use the level up system to service the brakes, change tires, etc. (from a safety standpoint, just don't get under the axles or trailer). And we commonly camp with one or more tires off the ground using the auto-level. On occasion, we have run out of "reach" with the front rams. You can either manually level (at a lower elevation) or you may need to add 2"-3" of blocks under the front rams.

We love the system. Enjoy!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:16 AM   #6
ChuckS

I’d this is a six point hyd level up system there is no reason any tire should be off the ground if the site is anywhere remotely level. I’ve towed my 2014 Alpine all over the western states and boon dock and have never had any tire off the ground

I’d suggest manually level your RV and calibrate the zero point calibration

I do use my hyd level up system in manual mode to remove tires for annual brake and bearing work

YMMV

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:41 AM   #7
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I’d this is a six point hyd level up system there is no reason any tire should be off the ground if the site is anywhere remotely level. I’ve towed my 2014 Alpine all over the western states and boon dock and have never had any tire off the ground

I’d suggest manually level your RV and calibrate the zero point calibration

I do use my hyd level up system in manual mode to remove tires for annual brake and bearing work

YMMV
Calibration determines what constitutes "level" and has nothing to do with whether or not the tires are off the ground. If using "Auto Level" results in a level trailer, then the leveling system does not need to be calibrated.

The issue is your stated "...anywhere remotely level..." - lots of places we camp undoubtedly don't meet this description, thus it is not uncommon for us to end up with one or more tires off the ground. This is exactly what makes the Level-Up system so valuable. We don't pick sites bases on being "remotely level" - we pick them based on "where we want to camp".

Thanks.

Old 10-06-2020, 03:31 PM   #8
Ksupaul

I have found that tires off the ground really loses stability inside. She will rock a lot more we have found out. So now I will manually adjust it to get tires back on ground and live with it not be perfectly level. Usually we don’t even notice. Or block it if it’s too bad.
Ksupaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 04:18 PM   #9
ChuckS

The. Auto level can have the zero point calibration set with the rig level and wheels off the ground or set with the wheels on the ground.

Zero point calibration is user settable and is only as accurate as the human that initially set zero point

I camp along rivers in Idaho in unimproved locations .. canoed in all western states at various RV parks and Never has my rig had a tire off the ground to have it level

That much extension on the legs to lift tires off the ground also results in a less sturdy rig because of the amount of leg extension.

Old 10-06-2020, 04:27 PM   #10
ChuckS

Remote camping along river in Idaho. This spot is unimproved and certainly not level. My tires are not off the ground either
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17A023F5-9179-47ED-87B1-7EB363F5DCAB.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	532.7 KB
ID:	30205  
Old 10-06-2020, 04:55 PM   #11
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post
Okay I’m camping 2nd time. Unhooked pressed auto level n it starts doing it’s thing. Camper gets level but some wheels are off the ground. Is this a issues
The system has the guts to do this, but the manufacturer advises against leaving the rig with a wheel off the ground. If I'm doing tire or wheel service, I won't hesitate, but if I'm camping in an off-level site, the recommended procedure is to ramp the low-side wheels up with legos, planks, or whatever to get it roughly level before using the system. You may need more legos to feed the leveling legs if you don't want to get an "end of throw" error.

Below is an image of a totally cr*p campsite at Lake Fairfax Park in VA where we actually had to dumpster-dive a construction site in Tyson's Corner to get enough masonry to set up properly. It wasn't a side-to-side wheel-lift issue, just a reminder that you can need a lot more legos than you carry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6517.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	419.2 KB
ID:	30209   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6519.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	453.9 KB
ID:	30210  
Old 10-06-2020, 05:33 PM   #12
CedarCreekWoody

It is possible that whoever set the original level state set it with the trailer too high off the ground; level but elevated with the rams too extended. This would mean that on a flat, level site all four wheels are on the ground but with a limited amount of weight on the tires. When then set and leveled on an unravel site it wouldn't take much added lift to have a tire off the ground. You should set your trailer on a flat and level place and check how much the trailer is lifted over the axles. You may need to recalibrate the level setting with less trailer lift.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 06:12 PM   #13
LHaven

I didn't know height was a thing with the preset. At my home base, which is dead flat and near perfectly level, the levelers lift the rig sufficiently that if I try to loosen a lug nut, the tire will often rotate some. I figured that was just the way Lippert wanted them to do their job.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:30 PM   #14
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I didn't know height was a thing with the preset. At my home base, which is dead flat and near perfectly level, the levelers lift the rig sufficiently that if I try to loosen a lug nut, the tire will often rotate some. I figured that was just the way Lippert wanted them to do their job.
From the photos it appears your rig has stabilizers, not an automatic leveling system. Am I looking at it wrong?
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:46 PM   #15
LewisB

The Level-Up system starts fresh each time “auto-level” is used. My understanding is the calibration is set to determine “level” vs. “non-level”, not elevation - that is, you can not calibrate it high or low, only level or not. It may achieve level at different elevations based on the starting point of the rams. It may be necessary at some sites to supplement the reach of individual rams with the use of blocks of some type under the rams. Driving on blocks to achieve a more level starting point may not help if the rams are not also supplemented with blocks since it is the rams, not the wheels, that set the final level

The OP’s question was if it was safe to use the trailer if auto-level raises one or more wheels off the ground - the answer remains YES it is safe. For some of us, it is not uncommon for this to occur on a regular basis - for others this appears to be less common, and some have never experienced the condition.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:30 AM   #16
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
From the photos it appears your rig has stabilizers, not an automatic leveling system. Am I looking at it wrong?
It has the Lippert electronic four-point auto levelers for TTs, as opposed to the six-point for fivers.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:36 AM   #17
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
The OP’s question was if it was safe to use the trailer if auto-level raises one or more wheels off the ground - the answer remains YES it is safe. For some of us, it is not uncommon for this to occur on a regular basis - for others this appears to be less common, and some have never experienced the condition.
Statistically, it probably is. Just be aware that the lawyer-speak on page 4 of the owner manual warns that "Lifting the travel trailer so the wheels are not touching the ground will create an unstable and unsafe condition." They also warn against using it to change tires, which I find very difficult to credit.
Old 10-07-2020, 04:37 AM   #18
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
The Level-Up system starts fresh each time “auto-level” is used. My understanding is the calibration is set to determine “level” vs. “non-level”, not elevation - that is, you can not calibrate it high or low, only level or not. It may achieve level at different elevations based on the starting point of the rams. It may be necessary at some sites to supplement the reach of individual rams with the use of blocks of some type under the rams. Driving on blocks to achieve a more level starting point may not help if the rams are not also supplemented with blocks since it is the rams, not the wheels, that set the final level

Level is level based on a set of stored values in front controller.. the RV CAN be level with all 4 tires off the ground or with all 4 tires on the ground depending on how the OP set the zero point calibration.

Altitude has nothing to do with level condition..

This said.. lifting tires off the ground during auto level sequence on a site .
Regardless of out in the woods or in an RV park is not a normal condition and it WILL result in your RV being less stable.. period

It also puts more undue stress on the leveling leg positions if the system is hydraulic. The more exposed piston extension the less stable the RV.. period

Of the ground is way unlevel then the proper way to correct Is to place some wood blocks under tires on side that is dipper LOW before you due leveling...

Personally in over 45 years of camping .. and I have had rig on some very uneven terrain out elk hunting I’ve never had a tire off the ground to level...be it with the old style crank em up tripod levelers or the newer electric or hyd leveling systems..

Old 10-07-2020, 06:59 AM   #19
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Level is level based on a set of stored values in front controller.. the RV CAN be level with all 4 tires off the ground or with all 4 tires on the ground depending on how the OP set the zero point calibration.

Altitude has nothing to do with level condition..

This said.. lifting tires off the ground during auto level sequence on a site .
Regardless of out in the woods or in an RV park is not a normal condition and it WILL result in your RV being less stable.. period

It also puts more undue stress on the leveling leg positions if the system is hydraulic. The more exposed piston extension the less stable the RV.. period

Of the ground is way unlevel then the proper way to correct Is to place some wood blocks under tires on side that is dipper LOW before you due leveling...

Personally in over 45 years of camping .. and I have had rig on some very uneven terrain out elk hunting I’ve never had a tire off the ground to level...be it with the old style crank em up tripod levelers or the newer electric or hyd leveling systems..
Ok, sorry - your vast amount of experience is far more valid and exclusively correct. If it hasn't happened to you, then clearly it is not valid. Didn't mean to start a disagreement - just trying to answer the OP's original question.

Old 10-07-2020, 07:04 AM   #20
Northofu1

I have, for the one camping trip and moving it around to get the hang of it, levelled the 5er first on the truck. Unhitched, lowered front end until it looked close to level before hitting auto level button. It has worked every time, and not a first giant step. When I would leave my front end raised after unhitching and hit auto level the first step to front door was a chore. It did lower a bit when grounding front legs but left it high.
I use 1 18"- 2" x 8" on top of 2 24" - 2" x 8" and fastened with screws under each jack pad. So far so good.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote