Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2020, 04:04 AM   #1
Spletbr

LED lights go bright

I have three LED lights in the bathroom. After being on a couple of minutes they go bright. Sometimes may later go less bright again. Not sure which level is correct but do know they shouldn’t change. And it’s not gradual, it’s a sudden, noticeable change. Any ideas why or what to do? Note also that this does not happen to their lights that may happen to on at the same time.
Spletbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:17 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You haven't posted any information about your RV, how old it is or whether it's covered by the factory warranty, so I'm addressing this as if there is no factory warranty available:

Probably a bad voltage regulator circuit in the fixture. I'd first check for any loose connections, if none are found behind the light fixture, I'd replace it. You might find a name on the actual fixture. If so, and if it's "reasonably new" possibly contact the manufacturer. Many components in Keystone RV's are covered by the manufacturer of that component for a longer time frame than the 1 year Keystone warranty. Some people have contacted the LED light manufacturers and received replacements for defective fixtures.

If you're still covered by the Keystone warranty, you might consider contacting the dealership to see if they will provide a replacement fixture for you to install or make an appointment for service.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:25 AM   #3
Spletbr

Thanks. It’s a 2020 High Country. Under warranty but difficult for me to get to a dealership. And it’s all three bathroom lights at once.
Spletbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:55 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spletbr View Post
Thanks. It’s a 2020 High Country. Under warranty but difficult for me to get to a dealership. And it’s all three bathroom lights at once.

Suggest you go to the top left of any page and in the black bar is the UserCP button. Click on it and put together a signature for your posts with your year, make and model of your camper and your tow vehicle. This will cut out the confusion in answering your questions and provide better context for the answers you get. Cheers.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:06 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

If it's "all three light fixtures" it could be something as remote as a loose connection in the ceiling, a loose fuse socket on the 12 volt fuse block or a bad ground on that circuit. It's extremely rare for three fixtures to "go bad at the same time" (although not impossible to happen)... I'd not suspect that it's a "bad fixture" if there's three on the same circuit... There's something else going on....

If you don't have experience in DC wiring systems, let the dealership handle this one. It may be "difficult to get to the dealership" but it's also "difficult to shave with no lights in the bathroom" which is a distinct probability given that all the lights in the bathroom are doing the same thing.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:27 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Are the "all three lights" in one fixture, are they all controlled by one switch? If the three light bulbs are doing the same thing at the same time then there's something in common with a three.

Having them all "brighten then all go back" makes me think maybe they are reacting to the converter charging the battery. I'd check the voltage when that happens and see if the converter is overcharging or if the lamps are over sensitive to the voltage. Have you turned on the bathroom lights and other lights at the same time to see if it's allo the lights in the camper doing this?
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:00 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Marshall had the same thought I did. Are all your lights on in the RV and only the bathroom fluctuates or they the only ones on when this happens? If it's the converter all would fluctuate I would think.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:16 PM   #8
bobbecky

I’d be betting that the LED bulbs used in that fixture are the cheaper LEDs that are only rated 12 volts, instead of the better ones that range from about 10 volts to maybe 18 volts or more. 12 volts LED bulbs will eventually fail because they can’t handle the voltage fluctuation from the converter voltage changes. If the ‘bulbs’ are built into the fixture and are not replaceable, you might have to replace the entire fixture(s).
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, light, lights