Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2020, 04:37 AM   #1
oshkosh99

Smile should I order the $300 Aussie option for the 243BHS?

Hi, new here. And sorry but I have a long question to the BBQ lovers:

I am soon getting my 2021 Keystone bullet 243BHS delivered from a distant dealer. All excited about it!

I will primarily use it the first 2-3 years stationary on the site where my retirement home is being build to check on progress for weeks at a time. It is in the south so I have to fly in with the airlines.

I would like a gas grill for the occasional steak and burger when down there.

At home I used to have a Charbroil with stainless grates and since 10 years a much better Weber Genesis with cast iron grates. We only do burgers and steaks and the occasional trout or other fish: we get the steaks thick and sear them to medium rare (4 times 45-60sec each side at around 500F) after having preheated the Weber for 10min. Hamburgers and trout on around 300-400F for 5-10min, fish a bit longer. No birds, chicken or turkeys. No veggies (those my wife does separately).

So here the question: I see 3 options:

1)I could get the Aussie grill option with the bumper mount for $300,- extra from the dealer. What I like about this option is the grill will be nicely mounted on the back bumper near the outside kitchen, its small enough to store in the front compartment when away for weeks at a time and its the easiest now, no hassle.
But I've read lots of not so good comments, but those might be from people trying to do different things?
Downloaded an Aussie manual which user "Wxman" posted a while ago, seems there are two versions: 6TV1S with a single straight burner and a 6TV1U with a U-shaped burner which probably has better heat distribution? I have to ask the dealer which version he would install.

2) I could try to convince the dealer to just sell me the bumper mount bracket and then get an Olympian 5500 grill which seems to have better reviews but also some "cold spots", uneven heat or broken cast iron plates? Same advantage of nice setup and easy storage. Would this be a better option for me?

3) Get a Weber Q1200, take the regulator off and hook it up to the trailer LP system (which would be easy to do for me). Probably the best grill, but I guess this would be too heavy for the Keystone bumper mount and also too high to get through the door for the front storage compartment? So where do I store it when I'm away for weeks? Can't take it on the airlines so I would have to store it inside the camper? Plus I would have to store it away every day to not invite construction workers to take it while I am gone to the groceries... So a bit of every day hassle. And the BillBumperQ bracket is pretty pricey and still does not solve the storage problem when away for weeks....

So I am looking for honest feedback if the Aussie or Olympian 5500 would not do the job for me? Hot enough to sear steaks and temperature low enough to do burgers and fish?

Thanks!
oshkosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 04:58 AM   #2
campfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshkosh99 View Post

I am soon getting my 2021 Keystone bullet 243BHS delivered from a distant dealer. All excited about it!

I will primarily use it the first 2-3 years stationary on the site where my retirement home is being build to check on progress for weeks at a time. It is in the south so I have to fly in with the airlines.

At home I used to have a Charbroil with stainless grates and since 10 years a much better Weber Genesis with cast iron grates. We only do burgers and steaks and the occasional trout or other fish: we get the steaks thick and sear them to medium rare (4 times 45-60sec each side at around 500F) after having preheated the Weber for 10min. Hamburgers and trout on around 300-400F for 5-10min, fish a bit longer. No birds, chicken or turkeys. No veggies (those my wife does separately).

1)I could get the Aussie grill option with the bumper mount for $300,- extra from the dealer. What I like about this option is the grill will be nicely mounted on the back bumper near the outside kitchen, its small enough to store in the front compartment when away for weeks at a time and its the easiest now, no hassle.
But I've read lots of not so good comments, but those might be from people trying to do different things?
Downloaded an Aussie manual which user "Wxman" posted a while ago, seems there are two versions: 6TV1S with a single straight burner and a 6TV1U with a U-shaped burner which probably has better heat distribution? I have to ask the dealer which version he would install.

2) I could try to convince the dealer to just sell me the bumper mount bracket and then get an Olympian 5500 grill which seems to have better reviews but also some "cold spots", uneven heat or broken cast iron plates? Same advantage of nice setup and easy storage. Would this be a better option for me?

3) Get a Weber Q1200, take the regulator off and hook it up to the trailer LP system (which would be easy to do for me). Probably the best grill, but I guess this would be too heavy for the Keystone bumper mount and also too high to get through the door for the front storage compartment? So where do I store it when I'm away for weeks? Can't take it on the airlines so I would have to store it inside the camper? Plus I would have to store it away every day to not invite construction workers to take it while I am gone to the groceries... So a bit of every day hassle. And the BillBumperQ bracket is pretty pricey and still does not solve the storage problem when away for weeks....

So I am looking for honest feedback if the Aussie or Olympian 5500 would not do the job for me? Hot enough to sear steaks and temperature low enough to do burgers and fish?

Thanks!
Welcome from Charlotte NC sorry I don't know anything about those grilles we use a Coleman roadmate works great for use.

Richard and Kim
campfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 05:47 AM   #3
roadglide

I use the Weber 1000 it’s considerably smaller than 1200. Mine is plumbed in like you mention easily done by removing the regulator. The 1000 get extremely hot for steaks, chicken or Gator . I always cook in foil then remove the foil and sear both sides whatever I’m cooking.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 05:52 AM   #4
Campermike

My passport came with the Aussie grill. It's a 2013 model so not sure if it's the same as newer ones. It seems decently built since it's 7 years old and still in decent shape. I don't remember if I've tried getting it hot enough for steaks but I think it can do one or two at a decent temp as on high if I don't watch it I can see 500 when preheating. Burgers are of course no sweat. I do like the bumper mount for it as well. I would say lower temps are a bit harder to regulate with only one burner but not too bad.
Campermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:14 AM   #5
Northofu1

Aussie grills suck. Just throwing it out there. I bought a Nexgrill from Costco, works alot better. Alot cheaper.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:23 AM   #6
notanlines

I know nothing about the Aussie grill, but I know plenty about the Q1200 and it is trash from the word go. Not a chance in the world you could grill a 'inch and a half' piece of dead cow unless you wanted to roast it. Simple can't be done, nowhere near hot enough. I believe Danny (Sourdough) agrees with this review.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:27 AM   #7
Northofu1

I really want to get the green mountain grill Davey Crockett model smoker. To dream.....

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:30 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Bumper mounts are "a dime a dozen" on the open market. You are NOT (emphasis on NOT) tied to the dealership for a bumper mount for a grill. Here's one such model (there are dozens of slightly different adaptations so it's easy to get "just the right shape/height/size")..... https://www.camperid.com/fleming-sal...yABEgK7TvD_BwE

We have a 2014 Cougar that came with the "Aussie Grill" as standard equipment. My grill mount is attached to the rear trailer wall. Actually, it's screwed to the structure with 4 "huge self tapping screws"... There's no way to remove it without having 4 "big leaking spots" in the rear FILON skin...

Whatever you do, get the bumper mount, not the sidewall mount. If you buy your own, attaching it to the bumper consists of tightening 4 half inch nuts on the two U-bolts and your grill table is ready to use. After that, it's just having the correct length propane hose to reach the propane connector under the trailer. And: If you find that connector is in the wrong place, it's also "a piece of cake" to replumb it. Just use the correct type of pipe and fittings as well as the correct Teflon tape/plumber's putty.....

In other words, if you're not real "keen" on the Aussie grill (I've got one and I'm not a big fan) you aren't "tied to the dealer as the only source" for the mount... $300 is a "on the very top of the high end" in price for that option...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:57 AM   #9
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
(snip)

In other words, if you're not real "keen" on the Aussie grill (I've got one and I'm not a big fan) you aren't "tied to the dealer as the only source" for the mount... $300 is a "on the very top of the high end" in price for that option...
We have never used ours. Still in the box. The bumper mounts (big squarish U-bolts) and swing out hardware is under my deck. If interested send me a PM but this is bulky and heavy and would be expensive to ship. I am an hour west of Colorado Springs if someone is interested. Make me an offer.
Old 08-30-2020, 07:50 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

I have no experience with an Aussie grill but I do with Webers (1200/2200). I seem to buy something new every few months trying to get something that works. As far as the Aussie, I had contemplated getting one, and some seem to like them, but by and large from the reviews and comments I read it didn't seem like it would work for me. Due to all the positive reviews I bought a Weber 1200 because I didn't want the size of the 2200. The burner just isn't up for anything hot - 8kbtu if I recall. It sits in the storage barn after the 1st trip. I then tried the 2200 - too large but it had a higher heat rating and I wanted the dome in case I wanted to cook something larger. IMO it just didn't do anything well so, after the 1st trip it sits in the storage barn. I've tried Coleman Roadtrips, CharBroil, various charcoal units, NexGrill and I don't remember what else.

For your type of cooking I think my choice would be the CharBroil Grill 2 Go X200 portable with the TruInfrared grates. It's in my pass through at the moment but will be coming out when I get the trailer back. Of all the ones I've mentioned it does what you are looking for the best IMO. Don't know how it would work on any bumper mount because I don't like them.

As far as trying to secure the grill while you run to get groceries because you think the workers building your house might walk off with it, I would have an understanding with the contractor that if it walks off, he gets to buy you another one.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 09:17 AM   #11
oshkosh99

thanks all for the answers and suggestions!

JRTJH: thanks for the link with the bumper mount. Would work with the RV mounted grills or with the extra table it would work for the weber. Might be an option, but with shipping more than $200.- ...

Sourdoug: thanks for your tips. Did not have the CharBroil on my list, seems to get very hot, so that would be good. Have to see if that fits in the front compartment, seems to be just under 14" high. I guess I wait for the trailer to arrive and then measure it up.
But: how do you convert that to RV quickconnect, it seems like the regulator & tempcontrol is one unit? Somewhere I found a conversion using a Campa regulator but that does not seem to be an easy conversion requiring "cold welds" etc.? Or how are you doing this?
Also: did you try to "pimp" the weber by up-drilling the injectors? Seems to make it hotter....

Any feedback on the Olympian 5500?
oshkosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 09:32 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:

JRTJH: thanks for the link with the bumper mount. Would work with the RV mounted grills or with the extra table it would work for the weber. Might be an option, but with shipping more than $200.- ...

Sourdoug: thanks for your tips. Did not have the CharBroil on my list, seems to get very hot, so that would be good. Have to see if that fits in the front compartment, seems to be just under 14" high. I guess I wait for the trailer to arrive and then measure it up.
But: how do you convert that to RV quickconnect, it seems like the regulator & tempcontrol is one unit? Somewhere I found a conversion using a Campa regulator but that does not seem to be an easy conversion requiring "cold welds" etc.? Or how are you doing this?
Also: did you try to "pimp" the weber by up-drilling the injectors? Seems to make it hotter....

The link for that bumper mount swing arm was just to give you some ideas on what's available.... You should "shop around" before making a final purchase decision. Your comment about "more than $200 with shipping" is from that particular dealership.. Amazon has the same item with "free shipping for Prime members" listed at $117..... Don't "tie your wallet" to any particular link !!!!! Shop wisely !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:16 AM   #13
B-O-B'03

I guess my Weber Q 2200 is an anomaly... I like my 1.5 - 2" steaks Chicago rare and have no problems doing them that way on the Weber. Leaving the lid closed, on high, it will get to well over 500 degrees.

I also have the cast iron griddle for it and it makes great pancakes, bacon, eggs, etc.

The other optional item I have for it is the fold up cart and I am starting to prefer it over taking up table space.

-Brian
Old 08-30-2020, 11:30 AM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

The good thing, maybe the best, is that the CharBroil does get very hot. With the infrared grates it does not flare up but they do make it generate a lot of smoke which I like. It works extremely well on burgers, steaks and german/smoked sausages. I cooked fish on it and it did fine by turning it all the way low and leaving the lid open. The downside to it as you mentioned is that it....gets very hot. It isn't a low and slow grill. The Coleman Roadtrip was like that but it loved to flare up all the time so gave it to another camper.

I did not convert it to connect to the trailer LP quick connect. It was its first trip with me and probably its last. I have a Green Mountain Davy Crockett sitting out in BBQ central waiting to be loaded in the Charbroil's place in the RV as soon as it gets back.

I did not try to modify the Webers either. They each made one trip. One thing about the Weber that I like (Coleman as well) was the versatility. You can change out the grate(s) to a griddle which came in handy - although small. I just load up a Blackstone now for the griddle. For what you said you like to cook you don't need the big domes of the Webers, which just take up space. Good luck on your quest.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 05:19 PM   #15
IMASAP

oshkosh99, I replied to your PM. If you have any other questions, or I wasn't clear with my answers, don't hesitate to shoot me another message.

For us, it was just easiest to order the Aussie option to get the bumper mount and have the propane plumbed to the bumper, then ditch the Aussie later.

Congrats on the new 243BHS..... ours has been great !
IMASAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:29 AM   #16
bpielhop

Our 2014 2510 Passport came with the bumper mount and Aussie grill. I would not recommend as it blows out in moderate wind and when it stays lit the heat is uneven. Good luck and happy camping!
bpielhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:37 AM   #17
CarGuy

Another option

I bought a used 2012 Passport Ultra Lite that came with what I think was the Aussie grill and a mount under the dinette window. Tried to use it once after doing the bread test to check for even heat. Both were a major fail. Picked up a $99 Members Mark two burner with folding legs at Sams Club. Tried chicken thighs first with good heat and even cooking, since have done lots of slow cooks like pork ribs with great results. I removed the regulator and found an extension hose on Amazon with the fittings that I use on the connector for the original grill which is under the side of the trailer. I have cranked it up to do burgers but not steaks and it gets pretty hot. It fits in the bag that the Aussie was in (only part I kept) and slides in my storage compartment fine. I also have a table to set up under my awning and it works great there. Congrats on your new rig and hope you enjoy this forum as much as I have.
Old 09-03-2020, 09:51 AM   #18
tdcolby

We have an Aussie grill that came with our Passport Elite. We have used it often without any problems. Easy to clean and assemble. It attaches to the bumper as well. Research though, there may be something better you can get.
Old 09-03-2020, 05:07 PM   #19
shermris

I have an Aussie for my 2018 Bullet

The Aussie grill works ok and the gas hookup at the rear bumper is convenient, but the grill is not worth $300.
Quote:

Thanks!
shermris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:22 PM   #20
Bullet19

My 2019 Bullet 243BHS came with the Aussie grill + bumper mount. I used it 3 times and was not happy with the results - uneven cooking, hots spots, etc. The grill is very thin chrome coated metal. I purchased a Q1200 and stand after my previous stock BBQ with my Rockwood fell apart. So I removed the bumper mount (saved some weight), removed the regulator from the Weber installed a quick release and grilling has been much better ever since.

I would put the $300 in your pocket and go shopping for a better grill.
Bullet19 is offline   Reply With Quote