Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2020, 08:30 AM   #1
MissingLink

AC and generator

We had camped at a campground that had no electricity. I did take a generator (Champion 2800). The procedure for operation of the generator, is to start, let run until green light comes on and then connect load (30 amp) for the trailer. As soon the connection is made, the generator goes under a load. (I do not know what that load is). I turn on the AC and it trips out the generator. I tried again, waiting for the generator to idle down, which it does after about five minutes. Ran the AC and it does run. After about a couple of hours, the load in the first instance returns and trips out the generator again. I have used this same procedure for this generator and ran the AC in my last trailer all year long last year. The AC in this trailer is smaller BTU wise than my previous trailer. Anybody have an idea of what I’m missing? This trailer has a battery disconnect. The trailer is a 2015 Cougar High Country 333MKS. Thanks in advance to all who respond. Have a great day and be safe.
MissingLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:40 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Either the load is to great or the generator is starting to fail. I'd start with all the breakers inside the trailer turned off. Start generator and wait for the "go" light.
Turn on main trailer breaker
Turn on breaker for air conditioner and let the generator settle down.
Turn on the breaker for the converter.

fridge and water heater should be on gas, if either is on electric you will most likely not have enough generator to run it all. A 30 amp service = 3600 watts (30 amps X 120 volts = 3,600 watts) Your generator is rated 800 watts below that or (23 amps). If that's peak and not running amps then it's substantially less.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:11 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Either the load is to great or the generator is starting to fail. I'd start with all the breakers inside the trailer turned off. Start generator and wait for the "go" light.
Turn on main trailer breaker
Turn on breaker for air conditioner and let the generator settle down.
Turn on the breaker for the converter.

fridge and water heater should be on gas, if either is on electric you will most likely not have enough generator to run it all. A 30 amp service = 3600 watts (30 amps X 120 volts = 3,600 watts) Your generator is rated 800 watts below that or (23 amps). If that's peak and not running amps then it's substantially less.
Exactly what I was going to say. Not enough watts to run everything that is probably turned on.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:23 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

As Marshall posted, you're probably overloading the generator with something that you "didn't realilze is on and drawing power"...

First, I'd suspect the refrigerator. If it's in "AUTO" then as soon as you plug in the generator, it will switch to shore power (ELEC) mode. You need to turn it to GAS mode to stop it from automatically switching.

Second is the water heater. Many people use the electric element as a way to save on propane and then "forget to turn it off" when there's no shore power, they just "carry on by turning on the propane"... As soon as you connect the generator, the water heater will immediately start "cooking water on electricity"...

The two items, refrigerator and water heater, will draw about 500 watts and 1100 watts from the generator. That's 4.2 amps for the refrigerator and 9.2 amps for the water heater. Using the wattage figures, that's 1600 watts, over half the generator output, leaving way too little for the air conditioner to run, certainly far too little for it to start. Even with the "surge/momentary capacity of 3100 watts, those two items will be drawing more than half the generator "surge capacity"...

Additionally, the WFCO converter will draw "somewhere between 4 amps (480 watts) at "minimum power" and 10 amps (1200 watts) at full capacity, depending on the charge state of the battery bank and the amount of 12 volt power being consumed by lights, control system or remote control systems in the trailer, you could be using "every available watt" without even trying to start the air conditioner.

As you can see, if all three of the above are on and drawing power or if any two or even one of those are on when you try to start the air conditioner, you'll overload the generator and cause it to "shut down" to prevent damage.

So, as Marshall suggested, turn off all the "extra draws" and see if the air conditioner will run with "only the main power panel circuit breaker and the Air Conditioner circuit breaker" in the on position. After that, try to turn on the converter circuit breaker and see if that will run...

Dometic, a manufacturer of RV air conditioners, recommends a MINIMUM generator output of 3500 watts for a single air conditioner and 5500 watts for a RV with two rooftop units.... The reason for those "much greater wattage outputs" is to compensate for some of the "unseen wattage users" like the refrigerator and the converter.....

Bottom line, I'd suspect you're significantly overloading your generator with things you didn't even realize are using generator power......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator