Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2020, 05:44 PM   #1
JBWardFamily

Clear RTV/Caulk Question

Hi all. I need to re-caulk some of the seams around our 2017 Cougar 33MLS and was wondering if regular clear caulk from Lowe's would work or if there was a better product made for RVs or heavy outdoor use.
JBWardFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:59 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Don't use anything that has silicone in it. Silicone, when it cures, is nearly impossible to get off of your trailer and nothing will stick to cured silicone, not even "new silicone" so if you ever need to reseal that area, nothing will stick to what you "smeared on in 2020"...

Go to an RV parts store and get some ProFlex or Sikaflex for the walls, siding, windows, door frames. Use DICOR or Alpha Systems self leveling sealant for the TPO roof membrane and all the structures on the roof.

Here's a short video on "don't use silicone"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:44 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I would use pro seal before I used SikaFlex. Pro seal can be removed much easier if needed.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 07:18 PM   #4
Logan X

I use Proflex made by geocell for anything that is clear. I use non leveling Dicor for other applications not on the roof, and I use self leveling Dicor for the roof.

https://www.amazon.com/Geocel-GC2810.../dp/B001FC98X2

https://www.amazon.com/Dicor-551LSW1.../dp/B003YJLIW8

https://www.amazon.com/Dicor-501LSW-.../dp/B000BRF7QE

I believe the seal under the windows and the edge moldings is putty tape.

https://www.amazon.com/United-Abrasi.../dp/B000BQUPYE
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 07:25 PM   #5
travelin texans

IMHO there's NO WHERE on a RV for 'silicone" caulk!
Silicone spray is recommended as lubrication.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 06:12 AM   #6
Tdesrosiers

I asked this same question when we took delivery of our trailer, and the tech Emphatically said to use silicone caulk because it flexes, and adheres better than the "made for rv products" that are out there. I 100 percent agree with him. I used geocell proflex on our last camper and it did not hold up well. This contradicts other opinions on this thread, but to each his own. Just be sure to prep the area before application. No sealant will adhere to a dirty surface. I use silicone for other applications and have no trouble when it comes time to reapply. Good luck!
Tdesrosiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 06:54 AM   #7
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdesrosiers View Post
I asked this same question when we took delivery of our trailer, and the tech Emphatically said to use silicone caulk because it flexes, and adheres better than the "made for rv products" that are out there. I 100 percent agree with him. I used geocell proflex on our last camper and it did not hold up well. This contradicts other opinions on this thread, but to each his own. Just be sure to prep the area before application. No sealant will adhere to a dirty surface. I use silicone for other applications and have no trouble when it comes time to reapply. Good luck!
When comes time to reapply silicone will not adhere to silicone so all the old needs to be removed, which is next to impossible to do.
With the Geocell & good prep you can apply over the old.
Good luck with silicone!
Replacement undetermined
Old 05-18-2020, 07:21 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdesrosiers View Post
Read a post recently where the dealer told someone to pour bleach down the drain because they had a clog. So take your advice where you feel confident.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:38 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
When comes time to reapply silicone will not adhere to silicone so all the old needs to be removed, which is next to impossible to do.
With the Geocell & good prep you can apply over the old.
Good luck with silicone!

Learned that years ago on our mountain home. I wanted to replace an entry window because it cracked. The previous owner was either in love with silicone or had stock in one of the companies because it was SLATHERED all over the window edges and the wood trim. I tried, in vain I might add, for a LONG time using lots of different things (along with some "motivational" language) to remove that stuff and make it look decent. Finally, what patience I had ran out and I tore the entire wall and window out and replaced it all so it would look good and not have silicone residue, wiggly worms etc. sticking all over the place. And yes, you cannot put anything on it hoping to stick....silicone or paint.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:36 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

IMHO there are "specific" products for somethings just like there are "specific" tools for each size bolt, screw etc. I've never been a fan of using non specific unless there's no alternative, i.e. something less than ideal to get me back on the road.

So if I'm planning on a repair I'm going to choose the right product or tool. I'm not going to tighten a #3 Phillips screw with a #2 bit, and I'm not going to put silicone on anything unless it belongs there.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:58 AM   #11
ljp

Once an old sealant has been removed, what would you use to thoroughly clean the area involved before adding the new sealant?
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:14 PM   #12
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljp View Post
Once an old sealant has been removed, what would you use to thoroughly clean the area involved before adding the new sealant?
I've used rubbing alcohol & denatured alcohol, both with good results.
Replacement undetermined
Old 05-18-2020, 04:06 PM   #13
Badbart56

I hear this over and over. You know that my Fusion has a lifetime silicon roof, correct? There are primers made specifically for silicon.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:58 PM   #14
Customer1

My Cougar came new with silicone caulk all over it. I hate the stuff.

I changed a failed marker light and the majority of my time was spent trying to remove the silicone. I used mineral spirits and a razor blade.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:33 PM   #15
Big 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customer1 View Post

I changed a failed marker light and the majority of my time was spent trying to remove the silicone. I used mineral spirits and a razor blade.
Yeah, same here on our fuzion. Not so easy to spot touch up areas where the sealant has separated.
Big 417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:49 AM   #16
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I would use pro seal before I used SikaFlex. Pro seal can be removed much easier if needed.
What is the recommended maintenance schedule and procedure for all the windows, doors, hatches, etc sealing.
Annual? longer, shorter and what am I looking for.
Procedure is to pull old off, cut with knife, hot air gun, chemical, what???
Thanks
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:52 AM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

depending on your weather conditions I would inspect at least annually. More often if the trailer sees a lot of direct sun. We use plastic tools to remove, used to use denatured alcohol to clean but cant get it in CA anymore. then reseal. We have a supplier that delivers "solvent X" and I don't know whats in it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:03 AM   #18
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customer1 View Post

I was about to say, and now I don’t, you’ve already said it. Silicone all over the passport, lights trim, etc.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:12 AM   #19
Steve's 70-5

Use a urethane caulk. In the construction industry, control joints on builds, urethane caulks are used. You never see silicone on the exterior. A 2 part urethane is better but you will have to mix up a 2.5 gallon pail. Get a one part in a tube. HD sells a clear urethane, can not think of the name.

Cut a small hole on the end of the spout. Depending how big of gap you need to fill will be how fast you move. Get some dish washing soap and water in a cup. Dip your finger in the soap and smooth the joint out. The window guys use the Arsenal window clean when they caulk. Just spray the caulk then wipe. I like the soap in the cup. Sometimes will take a small brush and soap the caulk joint then wipe.

Joe Walsh
Steve's 70-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:54 AM   #20
dkonrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve's 70-5 View Post
Use a urethane caulk. In the construction industry, control joints on builds, urethane caulks are used. You never see silicone on the exterior. A 2 part urethane is better but you will have to mix up a 2.5 gallon pail. Get a one part in a tube. HD sells a clear urethane, can not think of the name.

Cut a small hole on the end of the spout. Depending how big of gap you need to fill will be how fast you move. Get some dish washing soap and water in a cup. Dip your finger in the soap and smooth the joint out. The window guys use the Arsenal window clean when they caulk. Just spray the caulk then wipe. I like the soap in the cup. Sometimes will take a small brush and soap the caulk joint then wipe.
Sikaflex? Is that the caulk?
dkonrai is offline   Reply With Quote