Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2020, 05:40 AM   #1
Timothy

Plugged algae lines to kitchen and toilet

While traveling late one night we pulled into an old private RV park in the country (Haslet) outside of Fort Worth Texas. When I hooked up my water line the hose going into my filter broke off leaving threads stuck into my filter so I checked for water flushing the faucet. Then I hooked my hose directly to the faucet I turned it on had water so I connected to the trailer. I had water in the trailer for about 5 minutes before all water quit. I unscrewed the hose from the trailer too find algae plugging the screen. I flushed the hose again and a huge amount of algae came out of the hose from the well water line at the park and I mean huge amount. I cleaned the screen and had water again in my trailer but now 2 days later I don't have water in my toilet and only a trickle in the kitchen. Any suggestions on how to clear these?
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:18 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

This is a great opportunity for all listening in. CGs are reopening after a long hibernation. Expect rust, bio growth, etc. in those water lines from the cg. Do a flush of sufficient time before hooking up. Early in the season I connect a garden hose that I use to flush the black tank and not for drinking. Take the open end to where the water won't run on my site or others and let it run for a few minutes.. How long? Depends on what bit looks like and how far you away from the pump house. Shutting it off right after it runs "clear" may not get it.

With that said, my first action would be contacting the cg. IF it came from their lines they need to know and maybe they will help with the cleanup. I wouldn't use the water until someone qualified tested it it. From your description if a one time use placed enough water in to block the screen then they must be pumping pond or swamp water.

I'd flush the lines well with a bleach/water mixture and RINSE with lots of clear water. Remove the aerators from all faucets, remove the shore head, and you may have to disassemble the flush valve on the toilet. Clean all of that mechanically (scrub it) and soak it in the bleach/water mix. Of course you can't do that without finding clean water first.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 05:05 PM   #3
Gary R.

Hi Timothy,

First off, welcome to the forum!

I heartily second Marshall's advice on how to clean out the system.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

Take care!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet