Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2020, 12:33 PM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post

I see a large number of fifth wheels 39+ ft long and 45 ft tow haulers towing with a 350/3500 SRW.

As has been noted, just because someone does it doesn't mean it's a good thing nor should it be copied.

I have a friend sitting right behind me that comes to FL from MI every year. He used to have a MH. 2 years ago he said he was buying a 5th wheel and getting rid of the MH (he was in MI). Came down with a new Big Horn (think gvw is about 16k if I recall). I had told him to get enough truck for whatever he bought. Well..... he had tried to order a one ton but couldn't get it in in time to come to FL so he went down and bought a 3/4 ton Ram

I had a 3/4 ton Ram as well and knew he was terribly overloaded. I asked how it rode/drove and he said it was great (last year). Took him to get new batteries or the truck the other day and I asked if he had ever scaled the rig. He said yes but the only number he remembered was the back axle was 7400 lbs.! If I remember I says, isn't that rear axle rated for 6k or so. Yeah, something like that but it'll handle it. I drove big trucks for a while and this one can handle the load. I suggested maybe a 1 ton was in his future (he was in my new one), he said he thought he would just go back with another 3/4......

Now he's one of those you see going down the road with a huge 5th wheel behind a 3/4 ton. "Lots of folks do it"??? I would be so puckered up I would have to stop every 10 miles and take a bottle of muscle relaxers to get anywhere.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 01:02 PM   #22
flybouy
Site Team

Not to pile on, but I see a lot of people drive on I 95 going 80+ mph, I see a lot of people cheating on their spouses, In the news in Baltimore I see on average a murder a day. Personally, I don't "follow the lemmings over the cliff" just because the crowd is "going there". JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 01:27 PM   #23
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
As has been noted, just because someone does it doesn't mean it's a good thing nor should it be copied.

I have a friend sitting right behind me that comes to FL from MI every year. He used to have a MH. 2 years ago he said he was buying a 5th wheel and getting rid of the MH (he was in MI). Came down with a new Big Horn (think gvw is about 16k if I recall). I had told him to get enough truck for whatever he bought. Well..... he had tried to order a one ton but couldn't get it in in time to come to FL so he went down and bought a 3/4 ton Ram

I had a 3/4 ton Ram as well and knew he was terribly overloaded. I asked how it rode/drove and he said it was great (last year). Took him to get new batteries or the truck the other day and I asked if he had ever scaled the rig. He said yes but the only number he remembered was the back axle was 7400 lbs.! If I remember I says, isn't that rear axle rated for 6k or so. Yeah, something like that but it'll handle it. I drove big trucks for a while and this one can handle the load. I suggested maybe a 1 ton was in his future (he was in my new one), he said he thought he would just go back with another 3/4......

Now he's one of those you see going down the road with a huge 5th wheel behind a 3/4 ton. "Lots of folks do it"??? I would be so puckered up I would have to stop every 10 miles and take a bottle of muscle relaxers to get anywhere.
This guy sounds like my DWs brother in law, I'm in no way related to him, that's owned a RV 15 minutes & knows ALL there is to know about rving.
Examples,
When we bought our first dually & 40' RV he said I'd burn up the auto transmission in my Duramax/Allison GMC towing something that heavy, it could only be towed with a manual transmission. Plus I'd have problems towing in town trying to make right hand turns cause the tail swing would be taking out cars on my left at every intersection. BTW he ripped open the rear cap on his the first trip hitting a fence post by not knowing how to turn right & didn't know it til they stopped for the night.
That's only a couple of the bits of "expert" advice that he's given, which to all newbies reading this, both bits are horse hockey.
The list of the bonehead stuff he's done since he began the RV adventure is endless, nothing I've read on any forum from newbie's has ever come close & I know nothing.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:51 PM   #24
LewisB

To the OP, don’t forget to add fuel tanks to your cargo weight. Our TH has two 30 gal tanks For about 500# of toy/generator gas.

We made the switch to DRW a couple of rigs ago and love them - will never go back to SRW.
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 07:11 AM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

Danny,
Reading you're BIL reflections reminds me of one of mine (total disclosure he's my DW's sister's husband). Don't know if you're familiar with the movie "Christmas Vacation" but everyone that meets him says they got the character Cousin Eddie. I could relay stories on this guy for days.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 07:28 AM   #26
captcolour

Unless you have 4 people to carry all the time, you don't have to get a crew cab for that dually. A super cab with the suicide doors will save a foot or so of overall length. Love my DRW. Drive it everywhere with no issues. Towing is such a breeze.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel