Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2019, 07:56 PM   #1
Hankster

South rim GC

Yesterday we were at the Grand Canyon.
We stayed the night before in the National Forest about 3/4 mile back on Forest road 688. It was amazing and already paid for via our taxes. First time being off road, and camping with absolutely no hookups. Everything went fantastic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190402_180427226_HDR.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	387.0 KB
ID:	21209  
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:14 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

It looks awesome. Hoping you are having a wonderful time.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:28 PM   #3
busterbrown

Glad you had a good time. We took the William's train into the south rim of the Grand Canyon 2 days ago. First time for us at the canyon. Was very impressive for the first 15 minutes or so. But then the views became redundant, the crowds unbearable, and the bus system inefficient (stories behind each).

We've since moved on to Zion NP and are on BLM land 15 minutes from the west entrance. What a completely different experience, even during this peak spring break season. The kids (and us parents) are loving the views so much better, the crowds are less noticeable, and the park's bus system is logistically competent. Can't wait to come back.

This is our rig before last night's sunset:

Name:	IMG_1309.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	21210
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:42 AM   #4
Hankster

Yeah, timing is everything, we were at the entrance to the park, and no line, as we slowed the 1 guy that was in front of us was pulling away. We were there about 7:00 A.M. & gone from the park by 8:45
Back to camp, all loaded up, and heading back towards I-40 at 9:40.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:40 AM   #5
Canonman

Now that's how it's supposed to be done!! Looks like a great spot. Glad all went well for your first dry camp experience. Many more to come, I'll bet.
We also found the crowds at S Rim problematic. I'm usually out before dawn waiting for sunrise to photograph one view or another. No crowd issues then, but evening, sunset locations were a complete different story. Due to DW's mobility issues we were able to get a pass that allowed us to use our TV and avoid the park buses. Felt a bit sorry for the folks on the park bus. The private tour busses were a complete mess. Loaded with folks who had no sense of civility or personal space consideration.
Agree that Zion is a great alternative but seriously wouldn't suggest folks miss either park in their travels. Both are beautiful
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MG_1566 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	286.0 KB
ID:	21219   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1765.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	316.0 KB
ID:	21220   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_2176 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	319.2 KB
ID:	21221   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1919 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	316.0 KB
ID:	21222  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:38 AM   #6
flipazn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
Yesterday we were at the Grand Canyon.
We stayed the night before in the National Forest about 3/4 mile back on Forest road 688. It was amazing and already paid for via our taxes. First time being off road, and camping with absolutely no hookups. Everything went fantastic.
Is this the area near Desert View? I'm hoping to camp out there during Memorial Day weekend. Was it hard to find a spot or was it pretty wide open? Thanks for any help.

2014 Keystone Hideout 24BHWE
2015 F150 XLT 3.5L ecoboost
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
Air Lift Ride Control Airbags
flipazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 05:29 PM   #7
Hankster

This is near Tusayan, about a mile or so south of the 10x campground. For dispersal camping it was already fairly busy in the middle of the week in April. I'm thinking memorial day weekend would be quite busy, but most all of the roads have camp spots along them. So you might get lucky.just dont expect peace and quiet.
Dropped pin
Near Fire Rd 688, Grand Canyon Village, AZ 86023
https://maps.app.goo.gl/9Fw5q
Old 04-08-2019, 05:24 PM   #8
flipazn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
This is near Tusayan, about a mile or so south of the 10x campground. For dispersal camping it was already fairly busy in the middle of the week in April. I'm thinking memorial day weekend would be quite busy, but most all of the roads have camp spots along them. So you might get lucky.just dont expect peace and quiet.
Dropped pin
Near Fire Rd 688, Grand Canyon Village, AZ 86023
https://maps.app.goo.gl/9Fw5q

Thank you for the info!

2014 Keystone Hideout 24BHWE
2015 F150 XLT 3.5L ecoboost
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
Air Lift Ride Control Airbags
flipazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:43 PM   #9
TJO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Now that's how it's supposed to be done!! Looks like a great spot. Glad all went well for your first dry camp experience. Many more to come, I'll bet.
We also found the crowds at S Rim problematic. I'm usually out before dawn waiting for sunrise to photograph one view or another. No crowd issues then, but evening, sunset locations were a complete different story. Due to DW's mobility issues we were able to get a pass that allowed us to use our TV and avoid the park buses. Felt a bit sorry for the folks on the park bus. The private tour busses were a complete mess. Loaded with folks who had no sense of civility or personal space consideration.
Agree that Zion is a great alternative but seriously wouldn't suggest folks miss either park in their travels. Both are beautiful
Great pictures thanks for sharing
TJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:04 AM   #10
Blackrock

For a real nice uncrowded Grand Canyon Experience try the North Rim. Lots of dispersed camping available and there are not the crowds like at the South Rim.

Bob n Judy n Nanook n Biscuit n Elsa
2016 Ram 1500 - 2016 Laredo 265SRK
Running on the ragged edge of respectability
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:21 AM   #11
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
For a real nice uncrowded Grand Canyon Experience try the North Rim. Lots of dispersed camping available and there are not the crowds like at the South Rim.
Your absolutely right. Unfortunately for those who are early birds in the season (like us two weeks ago), the north Rim is closed until May 15. We would have elected to skip the south rim all together if we could have. The crowds (even in late March/Early April were overwhelming at each stop along the bus route. I'm glad we stayed in Williams and took the train in for the day. The next time we travel to that NP, we'll be dispersed camping near the North Rim.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:20 PM   #12
RK1978

We just got back from a southwestern trip that included 4 nights at Trailer Village at the end of March. Yes GCNP gets crowded, and sometimes you have to wait for several shuttle buses to come by until there is room to get on, but it is still worth it. My wife is handicapped and there were time when something had to be said to get her a spot to sit instead of a healthy person 1/3 her age, but most people were fine. We have been doing this for 4 years now and this year was less crowded than the past 3 at the end of March. Start early at the popular spots to avoid the crowds, and don't be a hurry. We hope to go later sometime and get to the north rim. Luckily we had already backpacked down to Phantom Ranch and back when she was healthy-another great experience.
RK1978 is offline   Reply With Quote