Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2018, 02:38 PM   #1
Tunnel_Vision

Thinking about a solar system for my 361 LEV

Hi all,

I'm considering installing a solar system in my Raptor 361 LEV and never installed one before. I'm very comfortable doing the install, just not with running the wire through the roof.

Does Keystone make any provisions for doing so from the factory? If not, whats the best way to run the wire from the roof down to the control panel?

Do I need to install the controller in the main cabin or can it be installed in the battery compartment.

Thank you in advance!

Dan
2004 DCB W/TWIN MERCURY RACING 300X'S
Tunnel_Vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:15 AM   #2
dcg9381

How big of a system are you installing?

For simple "battery maintainer" systems - many indications of actually connecting into the bathroom vent fans - sometimes you can get to the battery without doing a new roof penetration. Better to penetrate the vent.

For "real" solar installations where there is not a penetration - and I don't think that Keystones setup for this on the roof, the few non-Keystone units I've seen with solar options have a plug-in on the side, not the roof... Here's how I would go about doing the roof penetration:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0111RNZDY...V4TRU72P&psc=1
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:10 AM   #3
Tunnel_Vision

I'm considering a 255 watt panel (65" x 39" x 1 1/2"). I would rather not penetrate the roof if there is any other way. I do like the link you sent for the penetration cover though.

Does anyone have pics of a Raptor 361 lev with solar panels on the roof so I could get an idea where the cabling was passed through?
Old 02-13-2018, 12:53 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

If your fridge is an RV type and NOT on a slide, you can bring the cables down the cabinet through the roof vent. We use the plate shown in the link and haven’t had a failure (leak) yet. Just use putty tape under the perimeter and then cover the edge and screws with Dicor.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:10 PM   #5
B-O-B'03

I bought the 100 watt Renogy kit, from amazon and plan on putting a tilting kit on it and using it as a portable unit.

I figure that way I will have more options, like when the camper is, hopefully, parked in the shade.

If I were to by the solar kit again, I would not spend the $20 extra for the one that includes the wiring, since it comes with aluminum wire.

-Brian
Old 02-13-2018, 02:47 PM   #6
dcg9381

If you don't mind me asking, what are you after with 250 watts of solar?
I assume this is a 24v panel?

> Do I need to install the controller in the main cabin or can it be installed in the battery compartment.

In most cases, the solar controllers deal with a wide range of temperatures. As long as it's dry, you're good. If you tell me the particular controller you're looking at, I can verify.

A very substantial part of this will be how many batteries you're charging and what your plans are for the panel. The Raptor usually has a genset, so lots of ways of getting what you want out of this thing... And it may be that just adding 2 more batteries accomplishes what you're after without the roof penetrations.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:37 PM   #7
Tunnel_Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what are you after with 250 watts of solar?
I assume this is a 24v panel?

> Do I need to install the controller in the main cabin or can it be installed in the battery compartment.

In most cases, the solar controllers deal with a wide range of temperatures. As long as it's dry, you're good. If you tell me the particular controller you're looking at, I can verify.

A very substantial part of this will be how many batteries you're charging and what your plans are for the panel. The Raptor usually has a genset, so lots of ways of getting what you want out of this thing... And it may be that just adding 2 more batteries accomplishes what you're after without the roof penetrations.

I just want maintain 3-4 batteries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2018, 08:01 PM   #8
Milocka

Here is my mini write up for my solar install. System performs great!

Hopefully this link works:

Renogy 200w Solar Install
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...6&share_type=t
Milocka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar