Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
Firestorm

black tank flush

So we just got back from our second trip with our cougar high country 299 rks, I wanted to see if the black tank flushed worked
I did what I read, hook up hose ,pulled black tank lever, hose in dump, turned on water, all I think worked was water shooting out of connection , yes it was tight and a gasket, Is there another lever somewhere? or does it need warranty work I might not use this very often, but it should work
In need of some advise from the board
Thanks
Bob
Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

There have been several posts recently about black tank flushing and problems some members are having - ones similar to yours. If you do a forum search (type in "black tank flush" in the blank search box) you can browse through these posts to find out what others have experienced. The issue seems to be the check valve in the black tank flushing system. You can read these for yourself rather than having repeat what has already been said before.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
jje1960

Black tank flush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
So we just got back from our second trip with our cougar high country 299 rks, I wanted to see if the black tank flushed worked
I did what I read, hook up hose ,pulled black tank lever, hose in dump, turned on water, all I think worked was water shooting out of connection , yes it was tight and a gasket, Is there another lever somewhere? or does it need warranty work I might not use this very often, but it should work
In need of some advise from the board
Thanks
Bob
From what your describing, all I can think of is a possible kink in the hose that runs to the tank. I've used ours on the SRX without problem, can hear it moving water into the black tank without problem. As far as I understand, it's just that, a hose that connects into the black tank, you should not really have to pull anything.... just connect the hose and open the water source, what ever that may be... from the units pump or outside source.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
azr405

I tried mine out for the first time also and I just hooked the coiled hose from the supply and attached it to the input into the black tank. Worked well as I could hear it spraying into the tank and it seemed to do what it was supposed to do.
azr405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:04 AM   #5
hankaye

azr405, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by azr405 View Post
I tried mine out for the first time also and I just hooked the coiled hose from the supply and attached it to the input into the black tank. Worked well as I could hear it spraying into the tank and it seemed to do what it was supposed to do.
I'd think about sanitizeing that hose if ya ever think of using it as a potiable water hose.
Should the back-flow part of the valves between the exterior connection and the black tank fail you could contamminate you entire fresh water system. Not something I'd want to take a chance on myself.
ONLY a suggestion...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
jje1960

Contaminate system?

[QUOTE=hankaye;13819]azr405, Howdy;

I'd think about sanitizeing that hose if ya ever think of using it as a potiable water hose.
Should the back-flow part of the valves between the exterior connection and the black tank fail you could contamminate you entire fresh water system. Not something I'd want to take a chance on myself.
ONLY a suggestion...

hankaye[/QUOTE

???? So anything connected to the black flush needs "sanitizeing"<sic> I always believed positive pressure input was what the manufacture designed the flush port for.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:49 PM   #7
hankaye

jje1960, Howdy;

Some folks don't have a inlet High and above the tank.
On my last RV (TT), it was at about 1/2 the height of the sidewall of the tank. Siphoning action 'could' and some times does cause nasty bugs to get back into the inlet hose.
That is why a vast majority of RV websites and "Experts" advocate the use of a separate hose to be used for the black water system and a separate hose Exclusively for the potable system.
That is all I was trying to do. Save someone from a Very Nasty case of the " I ain't gettin' more then 3' from the commode Blues" or worse.

I hook a back flow preventer to the petcock (safety for the water system), then the hose (only thing it gets used for as far as the trailer goes), and then connect to flush system. Do the washout, then reverse the steps for the breakdown.

I shudder when I see folks at a dump site take their water hose and flush out the black tank then use the same hose to fill the water tank.....

I am NOT trying to tell anyone HOW THEY MUST do anything..... everyone is free to do it their own way... I just know what works for me an my pooch.

hankaye

T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:09 PM   #8
Firestorm

Thanks

The dealer is going to look at it next week,said the valve at the ball cock breaks, as I've seen on other posts Its found behind a wall and must be taken apart, Hey its only 4 weeks old, you would swear its a chev truck
wait thats what I pull it with, I hope this fixes it I've never had a trailer with a flush so I didnt know what to expect ,fit and finish (not) I already changed out the water pump, refit the bathroom door as it was mounted to high, the cougar high country sign above dinnette , sofa was put in at a angle, really didnt see that MMMM ,
Old 06-01-2011, 01:43 PM   #9
Firestorm

Well, I took the time today to try to see if it really didn't work, With the black tank empty .I hooked up a water line and flowed it slow, I could here water dumping into the holding tank, and clear water coming out dump ,cool i am thinking , although it still leaks water around connection , but at least the system moves water and no leaks in the walls , I called the service manager at my dealer and asked him what he thought, he said its probably just the connection at the inlet,he says he sees this sometimes 5 min fix, he will mail me the part and return my damaged one to keystone, kinda relieved

Thanks for the advise
Bob Peterson, MN
Old 06-01-2011, 03:10 PM   #10
hankaye

Firestorm, Howdy;

Glad to hear it's a "simple" fix.

hankaye

Old 06-02-2011, 01:41 PM   #11
jje1960

Flush

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
jje1960, Howdy;

I am NOT trying to tell anyone HOW THEY MUST do anything..... everyone is free to do it their own way... I just know what works for me an my pooch.

hankaye
You an' pooch keep providing your perspective, I surely appreciate your posts and perspective. Did not realise it was general guidance vs specific to the flush station on that unit. Sorry for any offensive.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:01 PM   #12
walker1

Tried mine for the first time last week on the first trip . At first it was leaking like crazy!!!!! Like others have said, it had a kink and it only stopped leaking when it was really snug. REAL SNUG.

I need to buy a clear plastic valve to see when all the drained water is running clear.
walker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:16 PM   #13
Maxzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1960 View Post
From what your describing, all I can think of is a possible kink in the hose that runs to the tank. I've used ours on the SRX without problem, can hear it moving water into the black tank without problem. As far as I understand, it's just that, a hose that connects into the black tank, you should not really have to pull anything.... just connect the hose and open the water source, what ever that may be... from the units pump or outside source.
Never a problem on mine, agree sounds like a kink in the hose or check value issue.

Jje1960 on the srx when you are at a dump station have you tried hooking your outdoor shower to the black water flush? I put a quick connect end on the black water flush and then attach the coiled shower hose to it. I pull the black water first then grey. I close the black water gate, turn the water on from the outdoor shower (hot water if still have it). Flush the galley then after several minutes Open the black water gate. I usually repeat until the lines are looking clear. I have a 90 degree clear adapter on the end of the sewer pipe..

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:41 AM   #14
E597283

Unhappy

I have tried the black tank flush now twice in my new Passport 2910BH. It doesn't do quite as good as a job as using a wand at the end of my house and just put that down the toilet. The black tank flush doesn't have as much rinsing powers as the wand does. My old TT didn't have this outside blank tank flushing attachment and i was excited to have it on new TT but I will go back to old way.
E597283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:54 AM   #15
Bob Landry

Has anyone actually verified with Keystone that there is a backflow preventer in the black tank flush system?
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:07 AM   #16
TAS

Hmmm my Fuzion has a flusher that leaks at the connection also and it doesn't matter how tight I get it. What was the "quick fix" to this?
TAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:20 PM   #17
hankaye

TAS, Howdy;

I found the interior pannel that the offending valve was hiding behind (shiftless skunk), removed said valve (clear looking plastic looks like it's wearin' a pork-pie hat), threw it as far as I could then went and threw it again to make sur it wouldn't crawl back..
Replaced it with a new shark-bite elbow. replaced the panel (after a leak check), haven't had a problem with it since.

These 'systems' are made by the Lakeview RV Supply, inc.

http://www.lakeviewrvsupply.com/

Happy Huntin'

hankaye

Old 07-19-2011, 07:39 PM   #18
Festus2
Site Team

Thumbs up hankaye for President

Hank, you're too much. I think you should run for office. You'd get my vote - even though I don't have one. Need a campaign manager?
Old 07-20-2011, 01:20 AM   #19
MILBY

I have a 327, just traded a 276 and in both the vacuum breaker was under the bathroom sink. It is black and it has pex tubeing run to it so I would think a kink would be out of the question. I would aim at that vacuum breaker as I failed to winterize the black tank flush line a few years ago and found that vacuum breaker broken the next spring and it would not take water either and spayed all over.
MILBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:40 PM   #20

Backflow preventer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
Has anyone actually verified with Keystone that there is a backflow preventer in the black tank flush system?
I would like to know this also. Anyone know?
11155 is offline   Reply With Quote