Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2017, 08:52 PM   #1
Steve079

Where do we start?

Just picked up our new Springdale 179QBWE on Easter Sunday, looking forward to new adventures. We will be doing more dry camping then with full hookups, which is on reason we bought what we did, capacity of fresh water and waste.
But to get set up, where do we start? What is our best bang for the buck, in setting up for a week with no hookups. We have nothing, save for the trailer, so we have some shopping to do, but in asking, I'm hoping to avoid buying things that seem cool, but just don't quite work out. Thanks in advance.
Steve079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:53 PM   #2
buzzcop63

The Library is where I started to learn about what to take on our first trip years ago. Many books on needed items for cold camping. Another way to do it is to start loading for the week, cloths etc. As you go think of what you might need, treatment for the Black Tank, bug spray, fire starter, chairs to sit in outside, books to read, tools for repairs, spare parts that might brake, foot rugs to keep dirt down, medicine chest, what is needed. As you go you will think of all kinds of things that are going to be needed at one time or another. Paper plates, plastic drinking cups, camera, DC/AC compressor, torque wrench, duct tape etc. Do an online search for RV cold camp lists.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:18 AM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I'd suggest a local trip to do a shake down first with access to Walmart so you can pick what you need as you identify it. Buzzcop gave you a pretty good start. For sure you'll need a sewer hose, black water rinse hose and a fresh water hose. Eating and drinking utensils of choice, cooking supplies, bedding, toiletries, medical supplies, and towels. After that you're getting into personal preference rather than essentials. Good luck and enjoy the adventure!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:24 AM   #4
NorskeBob

Take a look at this site and eliminate what you don't think you will need.
http://www.rvchecklist.info/

A good outdoor grill is a Weber Q120 - is a Q1200 now. I purchased the stand for it too. I would add a 2nd battery too. If you need to run the furnace - 1 battery may not last the weekend. I always have a 2nd battery installed in our RVs.

When you look for the list of cold camp sites look for a place to dump the gray and black tanks

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:00 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

If you do a forum search using the word "CHECKLIST" you'll get about 15 pages of links to different threads on this forum. You'll need to weed through the different kinds of "checklists" but there are probably 30, maybe more, threads that deal with "things to buy" and "things to pack" for camping. Many of those things are, as stated above, personal preference, not necessities, but most are things all of us should at least consider when stocking the trailer.

There is one member, SlowPoke, who stored a very extensive checklist on his drive and provided a link for members here to access it. You'll find his post (it's now a sticky) here: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ight=checklist

Additionally, to get you started, here are a few more forum links:
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ight=checklist

Keep in mind that many of the items listed are "preferences" rather than "necessities" but almost every one of them at least needs "consideration" as you write down your own list, revise, add and scratch items from your list as you gain experience...

One thing I always remember: THERE'S A WAL MART IN DRIVING DISTANCE OF EVERY CAMPGROUND IN AMERICA !!! So, if you forget something, it's available almost everywhere, just find that friendly WAL MART sign......

Congratulations on the new trailer, enjoy "making memories"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:09 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Congrats on the new rig. I know you are excited to get out and try it out. When you do, if you have questions just post them and I'm sure someone will have an answer for you.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:04 AM   #7
the sodfather

The list is endless and you will fine tune yours very quickly.

Like JRTJH said...Wal-Mart.

I've always told my wife, if Wal Mart doesn't sell it, then we likely don't need it.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:35 PM   #8
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve079 View Post
I[m hoping to avoid buying things that seem cool, but just don't quite work out.
Yes, your best strategy is to make a list of the "essentials" as suggested and buy only those items. Bring "things" (not buy) you already have on hand that you think you may use. When you return home, remove any of the "things" you didn't use. Then keep on ongoing memo or sticky note near the entrance of your trailer so you can write down "things" that will need on your next trip out. After a few trips or so, you'll begin to realized what's essential and what's not. I think overbuying is the biggest trap that most new RV owners fall into. We did it but learned our lesson early on.

Welcome and enjoy that new trailer of yours!
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:49 AM   #9
rick-eureka

Go to a good RV Park and stay there for at least a week-a month is better. Everyone is helpful and you find things that you will never find in a book or blog.
rick-eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:58 AM   #10
Jetfixer03

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzcop63 View Post
The Library is where I started .......
They still have those?

NewB here as well. We plan on doing the same type of camping. You may want to look at more battery power. That can snowball into quite a project, and quite an expense depending on how far you want to take it.
.... more/better batteries, charger upgrade, inverter, meters, all the way up to solar.
Jetfixer03 is offline   Reply With Quote