Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2017, 08:34 AM   #1
BlueThunder34

5th Wheels tow better than properly set up TT?

Trying to justify the expense of moving up to a 5er, do they really tow that much better/stable than a properly set up travel trailer? Our family looks to do some longer haul trips about 1,200 miles each way to places like Disneyland, Yellowstone, Texas, etc originating from the NW. I like the added storage and space in the 5th wheel but have also heard that they do not experience sway or pushing from passing semis or crosswinds. Is this truly the case from those of you who have towed both? I have a favorable setup now with a 1 ton diesel pulling or 32' 7500lbs TT but still feel some pushing with crosswinds, etc. nothing too concerning but wondering if that would be alleviated with a 5th wheel?

2016 Cougar 28RBSWE
BlueThunder34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:58 AM   #2
geobet

From my experience, I traded my Open Range TT, about the size and weight of yours for my High Country 5th wheel late last year. I towed the TT with a 3/4 ton Ram CTD. Even with Reese dual-cam sway control, I'd still get a nudge from passing semis and crosswinds. Nothing serious but annoying at times when I wasn't expecting it. With my High Country, I don't get any sway, pushing or nudging. Rock solid. Tons more storage and more "liveability".

Love the smell of fresh coffee & diesel in the morning!
geobet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:29 AM   #3
66joej

We went from pulling a 32' 5er with a 3/4 2011 F250 6.7 diesel to a 24' TT pulled with a 2013 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi. The difference is like night and day.
The 5er tracked effortlessly while I am fighting with the TT in crosswinds and semis. For sure the TV has a lot to do with it but overall I would say a 5er is easier tow and handle.
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:51 AM   #4
slow

To approach the 5er towing experience with a TT, you need to invest in an articulating hitch for your TT. The two options are the ProPride or Hensley.

https://hensleymfg.com/

https://www.propridehitch.com/

With your F350, you will have more than enough payload capacity to accommodate the heavier hitch unit.

Expensive, but will not empty the bank account as quickly as a new 5er and dually.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:05 AM   #5
m&m

last year went from pulling a 36' TT (8yrs) with a 2500 6.0 using a reese dual-cam. Towed great with very little sway. Traded in got a F350 dually 6.7 and 5th wheel.

What a major difference going down the road even in high winds and rain. Glad I changed. The wife likes the 40 footer much better. (365MB)
m&m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:14 AM   #6
jshupe

We had a TT for a while - Keystone Hideout 260LHS, which was ~30ft tongue to bumper. Pulled it behind a 2014 F-150 CCSB EB. We started with an EAZ-Lift, then moved to BlueOX, and eventually Propride 3P. The differences between the first two hitches and the last were night and day.

Then we traded up to a 2015 2500HD and a fifth wheel. Our first fifth wheel was about 35', then we upgraded again (due to it being a lemon and spenidng more time in the shop than not (Crossroads brand)) to a 39'. Either one of the fifth wheels were night and day over the TTs with the old one. So while I can't give you a guarantee of how much better it will be, I can say it will definitely be better than a TT under all circumstances.

2015 Chevrolet 2500HD w/ Kelderman 4-Link & 19.5 LRH tires
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB w/ Titan disc brakes and LRG tires
KG5PTC 146.520 7.245 mobile
Build and travel blog
jshupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:23 AM   #7
larry337

Fifth wheel all the way. More storage, easier to hook/ unhook, and towing isn't even close. Even in high winds a fiver is rock solid. Was towing a 33 foot trailer with an F250 diesel. It was okay but there was annoying moving around and wiggle. Bought a 38 foot fiver and it was 10 times better with the same truck. The truck was actually overloaded so I bought an F350. If it's in your budget then go for it, you won't be sorry.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:41 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

I don't think anyone who started with a travel trailer and moved to a fifth wheel will say that travel trailers tow better. Although there are some people who have "gone back to trailers" and left the fifth wheel towing behind, few of them did it because of "poor towing with a fifth wheel". It was, I'd suppose, some other reason for the change back to a conventional trailer.

For me, I started with several travel trailers, progressively getting larger, finally wound up with a Holiday Rambler 34' model. Towing was "OK" and since I'd always towed travel trailers, even that large one was "OK". Then we moved to a motor home (a whole 'nuther world) and after retiring, decided to travel with fifth wheels. We started with a half ton F150 and a small 26' fifth wheel. It towed great (I thought). It was much more solid than any of the travel trailers. Then through a series of events (trees falling on trailers, etc) I had the pleasure of towing that 26' fifth wheel with a F250. It was "night and day" better than the F150. Then we moved to a 31' fifth wheel, and were very well satisfied. Then in 2015 we purchased a diesel F250 and it was again "night and day" better than with the gas F250 (essentially the same truck except for the engine).

Having towed multiple trailer types with multiple tow vehicles, I'd have to say that my most "comfortable towing rig" would be an adequately sized diesel truck with a properly sized fifth wheel. I do still have a small "bumper pull trailer" and use it for hunting, etc. but for any trip of any length, I much prefer the fifth wheel. Solid, stable, comfortable and easier to maneuver.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:01 PM   #9
BlueThunder34

Thanks all for the replies, other than the shear size of them it sounds like they should offer a more stable trip vs a pull behind

2016 Cougar 28RBSWE
Old 01-18-2017, 03:36 PM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThunder34 View Post
Thanks all for the replies, other than the shear size of them it sounds like they should offer a more stable trip vs a pull behind
When talking about "shear size" , remember that a 5er of comparable living space will make for a shorter combined length on the road. Just another plus for the fifthwheel. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:41 AM   #11
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
To approach the 5er towing experience with a TT, you need to invest in an articulating hitch for your TT. The two options are the ProPride or Hensley.

https://hensleymfg.com/

https://www.propridehitch.com/

With your F350, you will have more than enough payload capacity to accommodate the heavier hitch unit.

Expensive, but will not empty the bank account as quickly as a new 5er and dually.
Slow is absolutely right. With your heavy duty TV and either the Hensley Arrow or Propride 3P, you'll completely eliminate the natural forces of sway from the pivot head, AKA, the hitch ball. All other hitches are conditioned to REACT to (or CORRECT) sway; some utilize friction as the means (Equal-i-zer) and others use the inherent design of the spring bars (Blue Ox). Hensley and Propride eliminate the hitch ball and use a series of articulating cams that replicate the tow forces of the 5th wheel and pickup.

If you like your current pull behind and don't want to take on the financial burden of a new 5er, a small investment in one of the fore-mentioned premium hitches will put a smile on your face every time your pull with it. Also, A TT will allow for more versatility of your truck bed...always a plus.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:15 AM   #12
BlueThunder34

I have looked into these but one thing that makes me reserved on going this route is the reports of them banging or "releasing" if the trailer brakes are not activated and the truck slows down and the trailer does not at the same rate. When using my exhaust brake I don't often use the actual trailer braking on long decents and I am concerned this type of braking will cause problems with this style hitch. Any of you using exhaust braking with the Hensley or propride?

2016 Cougar 28RBSWE
Old 01-19-2017, 08:00 AM   #13
slow

I cannot comment on the use of an articulating hitch with an exhaust brake since I have a gasser.

But I can say I too rarely brake on declines and have traveled in the Rockies and the east coast hills. I down shift using a quick brake pedal touch and I have never experienced the "bump" that others report.

I suspect that the few that report the issue have not set up their brake and their brake controllers properly.

It is a none issue IMO.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:34 AM   #14
BlueThunder34

Will the 5th wheel tow and back differently from our current 32' TT? What I mean by that is will it cut to the inside corners more severely when traveling through winding roads, is backing up the same as a TT or opposite? Seems the concept would be the same as they both pivot on a point the same way, just one is over the axle and the other is off the back of the truck. I want to be sure Im prepared if the 5er will track differently from the TT.

2016 Cougar 28RBSWE
Old 01-21-2017, 06:14 AM   #15
bsmith0404

They'll track very similar, the 5er will cut a little more inside if you turned exactly the same because the pivot point is moved forward and does not have an outward swing like your hitch does, but the difference is minimal. As for backing, same concept, but your 5er has the ability to cut tighter since the pivot angle is not limit by your hitch and bumper. Personally, I don't notice a lot of difference between my 30' car trailer and 40' 5th wheel. It's just another trailer.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:22 AM   #16
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
When talking about "shear size" , remember that a 5er of comparable living space will make for a shorter combined length on the road. Just another plus for the fifthwheel. JM2¢, Hank
X2
Many complain of the loss of the use of the TV bed. I look at it as all that stuff goes in the basement so packing takes less time.
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 01:59 PM   #17
Cabindweller

Started with a Ram 1500 (HEMI) and a 31' TT. Plenty of power but I did not like the feeling that the tail was wagging the dog. Had an upcoming trip from Ohio to Glacier National Park (MT), decided to upgrade my truck before the trip so I could actually enjoy the vacation. Bought a new Ram 3500 diesel. Towed MUCH better and allowed me to enjoy my trip but I still wasn't super impressed with stability. Last year we traded the TT for a fifth wheel (same truck). Could not be happier! Not only does it tow amazingly well, it takes about 1/3 the amount of time to hook/unhook (auto level).

I too was concerned about giving up my bed space, but it hasn't been a problem. There is a lot more storage in the 5ver.

2017 F350 SuperDuty - Lariat, Crew Cab, PowerStroke, SRW, 4x4
Cabindweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:32 AM   #18
Barbarian Coug

I towed a 29 foot Coachmen TT using a Hensley-Arrow for seven years before purchasing a Montana 3150RL 5th wheel. Several things we have noticed: Road Fatigue is less with the 5th Wheel. The set up on the truck on TT was perfect, yet we have noticed we don't arrive as tired pulling the 5th wheel. Far less bucking and surging with the 5th Wheel. Backing up is easier with the 5th wheel as well. Traveling down the highway is about the same, even though the 5th wheel has a much higher profile.
Barbarian Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:07 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

I have a TT but I know pulling a 5th wheel (previous experience) seemed more stable. Another consideration, and why we don't have a 5th wheel, is the ergonomics of the raised area, whether bedroom, living room etc.

I've had 6 surgeries on my R knee and both have been replaced; 2 major surgeries this year. The elevated area is very difficult to negotiate with the little stairs and I really have to depend on solid rails being installed. My wife and I both didn't like that particularly thinking about trying to use them in the dark (she has a pin in one leg that is still problematic). We just visited with a lady this morning at breakfast that has the same issue; she's scared of the elevated area and the stairs. They just bought their new 5th wheel last year and now they are about to get rid of it for a TT - one of the reasons she was talking to us...she likes ours. That may be one of the reasons folks go back to a TT vs keeping them instead of the towing aspect.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:40 PM   #20
BlueThunder34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian Coug View Post
I towed a 29 foot Coachmen TT using a Hensley-Arrow for seven years before purchasing a Montana 3150RL 5th wheel. Several things we have noticed: Road Fatigue is less with the 5th Wheel. The set up on the truck on TT was perfect, yet we have noticed we don't arrive as tired pulling the 5th wheel. Far less bucking and surging with the 5th Wheel. Backing up is easier with the 5th wheel as well. Traveling down the highway is about the same, even though the 5th wheel has a much higher profile.
Do you feel the 5th wheel handles the side winds better than the TT?

2016 Cougar 28RBSWE

Tags
5th wheel, tow