Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2016, 08:05 AM   #1
Banjopicks

Condensation dripping from roof vent

This seems to be the only place I'm having trouble with condensation from running the heat. Would insulation solve this or make it worse?
Banjopicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:11 AM   #2
hankaye

Re: Condensation dripping from roof vent

Banjopicks, Howdy;

I seldom have any condensation, I keep the overhead vents cracked
slightly to allow for some (meaning a tiny amount), of air circulation.
If your condensation is gathering there then crack it open and see if it
disappears.

hank

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:14 AM   #3
Banjopicks

And let my heat out??? I'll give it a try, thanks.
Banjopicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:36 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

You do need some ventilation (circulation) of air to help control the humidity/condensation in your trailer. You've noticed one area, the roof vents, but trust me, there is significantly more condensation than you've discovered. Hankaye is correct, open the vent's "ever so slightly" to get some airflow through them. You'll probably want to "slightly open" a window on the opposite end of your RV to set up the "airflow" that's necessary to create the circulation required to "freshen the air". Depending on the "manufactured in" airleaks already "built into" your RV, you may find there's enough circulation without opening an opposing window.

Putting a "vent pillow" (14" square foam block) into the vent space will help insulate that area and control the condensation, but does nothing for removing the moisture from the air inside your RV. So, it will simply "condense somewhere else".... Typically, condensation forms at the head of the mattress and at the places the foam cushions rest against the outside wall of your RV. If you check those areas, you'll probably find that they are already moist.

So, the best way to "control" (you will never eliminate) condensation is to have adequate ventilation in your RV. Yes, that means "allowing some of the heat to escape".......... It comes down to the "lessor of two evils".... Condensation, when it forms in a dark area with no airflow (like along the cushion sides) will lead to mold, mildew and a host of associated problems.

Most people who live in RV's during the winter find that controlling the humidity is just as important as heating the RV. Just having two people breathing in an enclosed RV will add a couple of gallons of moisture to the air each day. Add cooking, showering and washing dishes and you've got the makings of a significant "water buildup" on your hands. Ventilation is the best control method, dehumidifiers are second, but bring their own problems to the mix.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:09 PM   #5
gnirwin

A big cause of condensation is from the furnace itself. Gas furnaces give off much moisture. Cool air lowers humidity. When I owned greenhouse we had fans on timers that would bring in cool air in the winter to control moisture. Try using electric heaters and see if that helps.
gnirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:23 PM   #6
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You do need some ventilation (circulation) of air to help control the humidity/condensation in your trailer. You've noticed one area, the roof vents, but trust me, there is significantly more condensation than you've discovered. Hankaye is correct, open the vent's "ever so slightly" to get some airflow through them. You'll probably want to "slightly open" a window on the opposite end of your RV to set up the "airflow" that's necessary to create the circulation required to "freshen the air". Depending on the "manufactured in" airleaks already "built into" your RV, you may find there's enough circulation without opening an opposing window.

Putting a "vent pillow" (14" square foam block) into the vent space will help insulate that area and control the condensation, but does nothing for removing the moisture from the air inside your RV. So, it will simply "condense somewhere else".... Typically, condensation forms at the head of the mattress and at the places the foam cushions rest against the outside wall of your RV. If you check those areas, you'll probably find that they are already moist.

So, the best way to "control" (you will never eliminate) condensation is to have adequate ventilation in your RV. Yes, that means "allowing some of the heat to escape".......... It comes down to the "lessor of two evils".... Condensation, when it forms in a dark area with no airflow (like along the cushion sides) will lead to mold, mildew and a host of associated problems.

Most people who live in RV's during the winter find that controlling the humidity is just as important as heating the RV. Just having two people breathing in an enclosed RV will add a couple of gallons of moisture to the air each day. Add cooking, showering and washing dishes and you've got the makings of a significant "water buildup" on your hands. Ventilation is the best control method, dehumidifiers are second, but bring their own problems to the mix.
100% spot on! Cooking making coffee, creates moisture in the air, which will condensate on a clod surface.
Ventilation is a necessary evil, if you shower make sure you run a ventilation fan to get as much moisture out of the rig as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnirwin View Post
A big cause of condensation is from the furnace itself. Gas furnaces give off much moisture. Cool air lowers humidity. When I owned greenhouse we had fans on timers that would bring in cool air in the winter to control moisture. Try using electric heaters and see if that helps.

Gas heaters like a catalytic will add moisture and Carbon monoxide to the air. While a gas furnace, will not add moisture to the air any more than an electric heater. The combustion chamber on a gas furnace is sealed to the outside!
Combustion of gas for cooking will add moisture also.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:54 AM   #7
Ken / Claudia

Every RV I have had or stayed in does that unless you let heat out. Crack a vent. Do one first, if still a problem do more. At times I also keep a window cracked open.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:48 AM   #8
Alpine

I have one of these in every cupboard and corners of our Fifthwheel. At least 20 or more are open and doing their job...and you would be hard pressed to even spot one if you were doing walk through as they are small and indiscrete. I pick them up at the Dollar Tree, however you can purchase the same at the big box stores for $5.00 each (no thank you )! They really do a great job of pulling out moisture from anywhere in your RV. Try them and you will be blown-away!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	160017.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	11503  

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags