Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2016, 03:28 PM   #1
scchasgal

2015 Alpine electrical problem?

Our Alpine battery discharges to the point there isn't enough juice to move the level up system to hook up. We turned on the disconnect and plugged into the truck with the truck running and it still did not have enough power. My question is does the 7 pin plugged into the truck get juice from the truck, do we have a truck issue or camper. Dealer tested and said no electrical issues with the camper. We have put a heavy duty deep cycle battery in and we have a solar panel trickle charger,still no luck.
scchasgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:38 PM   #2
nellie1289

Quote:
Originally Posted by scchasgal View Post
Our Alpine battery discharges to the point there isn't enough juice to move the level up system to hook up. We turned on the disconnect and plugged into the truck with the truck running and it still did not have enough power. My question is does the 7 pin plugged into the truck get juice from the truck, do we have a truck issue or camper. Dealer tested and said no electrical issues with the camper. We have put a heavy duty deep cycle battery in and we have a solar panel trickle charger,still no luck.
How long did it sit and how long did you let it charge after plugging in the truck? on mine, it goes dead (the trailer) even with the battery disconnect off) after about 2 months(not enough power to run the jacks but other thing work) and then it takes about 5 mins plugged to truck before the jacks come to life.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:49 PM   #3
scchasgal

It sat for a month and we had the truck running high idle for about 15 minutes, so the truck should charge the camper battery? We had a dealer appointment for something else that day and had to jump off from the truck directly. I don't believe we should have to do that
scchasgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 04:24 PM   #4
shiggs68

Depending on the make of your truck, there may be a wire that needs hooked up,or a fuse put in place to enable the charge pin in the connector. Your RV dealer can check that real easily.

TravelingRVDoctor -Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
shiggs68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:37 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
It sat for a month and we had the truck running high idle for about 15 minutes, so the truck should charge the camper battery? We had a dealer appointment for something else that day and had to jump off from the truck directly. I don't believe we should have to do that
The battery disconnect switch does not completely isolate the battery. There are a number of "parasitic drains" that still are powered when the switch is off. Things like the propane detector, memory circuits in the stereo, smoke detector(s) and CO detector will drain the battery.

You may want to consider getting another battery cutoff switch and installing it at the battery terminals (your choice of + or -) to completely isolate your battery. You may consider it an inconvenience to "always have a dead battery" but if you think about it, every time you discharge your battery that "low" you dramatically shorten its life. You need to keep it charged, preferably above about 70% to get the longest service from the battery.

Leaving it connected and repeatedly discharging to a point it won't operate your trailer systems isn't doing the battery any good......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:42 AM   #6
Pull Toy

I believe your battery switch has to be on to operate sliiders. The label in my trailer indicates this. If it happens again, try hooking up to truck with the battery turned on. The little bit of parasitic drain won't affect charging.

Your truck or RV dealer can check your truck's charging pin in no time at all. It might be worth taking the time, just so you know.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 05:12 AM   #7
cw3jason

Two things possible. as others have mentioned, even with the battery disconnect switch off there are a few items that still drain the battery. The only way to stop that is to put in your own disconnect.

The truck charging issue could be the truck, make sure you are getting +12v out on the 7 pin connector. Also the battery will not charge if the battery disconnect is in disconnect. turn it to normal and the battery should re-charge.
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:21 AM   #8
Bill & Deb

Quote:
Simple test you can do....

With trailer not connected via 7 way plug press your trailer battery button. Note the position. This test can only be done when battery is not completely full and the disconnect switch is on. Then plug in 7 way plug and start truck. Press battery level switch in trailer again. If it is now at full then you have a wire going to your trailer via plug. If not then you need to get one.

Every trailer should have a digital voltmeter in it.

This is what I have. It also provides 4 USB ports for charging cell phones etc when dry camping or Walmarting . http://www.ebay.com/itm/Triple-3-1Am...lVHqRX&vxp=mtr

Cheers
Bill
Pullrite Superglide 15K Hitch
Bill & Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:50 AM   #9
dcg9381

Ours will discharge 2 batteries with the factory switch "off" in about two weeks. That battery is most likely toast, you should pull it, charge it and have it tested (autozone does it for free). And like others have suggested, put in a battery disconnect. Just remember to turn it on while towing.

Our truck would bring up a dead battery enough to move the front rams, but it was really slow..
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:00 AM   #10
PND

Electrical problem

One thing you need to check is the level of electrolyte in the battery. If the level is low, it won't hold a charge and will take longer to obtain any charge. I check mine about every three months. When my trailer was new, I checked it after the first month and it was low. If it is low, use distilled water only-not tap water or if you have some, use battery acid (sulfuric acid). Low fluid level with a constant charge will kill a battery.

PND
Retired Electrician
2012 Mountaineer
2012 Duamax HD 2500
PND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:55 PM   #11
dcg9381

FYI - pulled my trailer out today. Just out of habit, I started retracting the front jacks. Battery was disconnected. I was stumped there for a second... Anyway, my connector (10 ga) has enough juice to pull the legs in with all other load disengaged.

A discharged battery would "pull down" the available voltage.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote