Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
Maxzd

iPhone Satellite Finder App

I bought a handy little iPhone App for my iphone in the fall that saves me a ton of headache trying to determine best line of sight to the sky. When pulling into a campsite (where I have choice of spot), I usually turn my iPhone on, select the app and point to the sky. The camera along with the GPS detects where the satellites are in the sky, shows them onscreen, it's awesome. One I figure out where the dish would need to point I take that into consideration when parking. It's perfect for a manual dish, but even if you have a fancy dome satellite I can see it helping determine exactly where the signal line of sight from the satellite would come from..

There are a few companies that make iPhone Satellite Apps, but the one I went with is from a company called dishpointer. The reviews were good and the video I watched is exactly what I was looking for. Checkout dishpointer.com for more information, or the video link below. I don't know if it works with other phones or iTouch, the website will probably have more information.

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:24 AM   #2
slewis95407

There is an augmented version of this app that works on the ipod. Ipod's don't have GPS or a compass. Sure helps out when you are trying to align to three birds at once.

Scott

Fulltimer
2011 Cougar 326MKS
1997 F250 Reg. Cab. 7.3L
slewis95407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
Houndie Dog

Don't know if this helps any, But when I use the tripod mounted dish instead of the one on the roof I go to this page on the directv website and type in the zipcode of where I am at and it gives you the elevation and azimuth to point the dish. Once you set the elevation it is just a matter of turning the dish to get reception. This page does work on the iphone. I am going to check out your app though...
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/custom...uestid=1389071

This is assuming you use directv but I am sure dish has a similar page.
Hope this helps.
Hensly TS3 trailer-saver hitch
KVH TracVision R4SL
3 Basset Hounds "Lucy, Ethel, & Fred"
https://i809.photobucket.com/albums/z...vado/coach.jpg
Houndie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:48 PM   #4
woodsters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndie Dog View Post
Don't know if this helps any, But when I use the tripod mounted dish instead of the one on the roof I go to this page on the directv website and type in the zipcode of where I am at and it gives you the elevation and azimuth to point the dish. Once you set the elevation it is just a matter of turning the dish to get reception. This page does work on the iphone. I am going to check out your app though...
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/custom...uestid=1389071

This is assuming you use directv but I am sure dish has a similar page.
Hope this helps.

This is how I do it as well. Works like a champ. I use the signal meter on the receiver/tv and listen to the "pinging". Once it speeds up, I go and check the strength.
woodsters is offline   Reply With Quote