Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2014, 04:07 PM   #1
Fishhawk

Finding 5th wheel friendly gas stations

We have towed bumper pull campers around for awhile and even with them we sometimes found it diffulcult to find gas stations on our routes that offer relative ease of entry and exit as well as having overhangs tall enough to safely pull through

Now, that we are new to fifth wheeling and just starting our new camping adventures pulling a much taller fifth wheel
I'm wondering if you folks have suggestions on your preferred fill up chain store type spots ( gas)
That consistantly provide the space and height that 5th wheels need

I appreciate your input!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Years
2- guitars
Fishing stuff
Fishhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 04:29 PM   #2
gearhead

I've had decent luck looking for freeway exits that have several major gas brands, fast food, motels, etc. Those info signs that are at the exits help a lot. What I'm getting at is that there should be one station there that you should be able to get in. It's a gamble though. Just try not to get to the point that you have to get gas right NOW.
Be sure you know your height, even though few gas stations post their clearance.
One of these days I will unhitch and use a WalMart station just to spite them. I haven't seen one yet that I could get in towing the 5th. I assume they don't want RV business.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 04:43 PM   #3
wahoonc

Truck stops or larger stations along interstates. Loves, Flying J, Wilco/Hess, Sheetz are a few that come to mind.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:23 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Truck stops or larger stations along interstates. Loves, Flying J, Wilco/Hess, Sheetz are a few that come to mind.

Aaron
I use truck stops on long trips. I also unhitch, and fill up the evening before I leave camp. That way I start with a full load of fuel.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:26 PM   #5
bsmith0404

You can probably get into more stations than you realize. I have stopped at truck stops, valero, phillips 66, you name it. Some can be a little tight maneuvering, but I like to use the regular pumps when I can instead of the truck pumps. The large nozzles create too much foam with the diesel, even on the lowest setting. I haven't found many stations off of the interstate that caused clearance issues and my 5er is 13'9"

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:35 PM   #6
x96mnn

Cannot tell you what is best but can tell you what has become a very large pain.

Irving truck stops in Nova Scotia. They have converted to a new pump layout that points you in the direction of the building while feeling instead of the exit. This means any stuck that wants to park close to the door or simply pull ahead to let the next car in can end up blocking you in or making it a tight squeeze out.

The other issue they only do pay at the pump, you need to prepay up to $150. Well if you have a large truck and aux tank, you need to fill to the $150' go in and pay then continue your fill.

They are not the worste places to fill up, but I find them a pain in the ***.
2012 Sprinter 266
2014 RAM 6.7 Cummins Diesel
2015 Sandpiper 30IOK

All I care about is camping, maybe three people and beer!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:06 PM   #7
bexparza

My wife and I pretty much use Flying J and Pilot truck stops. A lot of them have RV specific fueling lanes and separate RV parking lots for overnight stays.
bexparza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 03:59 AM   #8
rjsurfer

We usually avoid truck stops, way to filthy and smelly always get diesel on the sole's of our shoes.

We look for stations with pumps parallel to the road or at least 45 degrees to the road. Before pulling in we always slow down and check out the lay of the land so to speak, even to the point of stopping for a second or so before committing.

And strange as it seems more often than not the diesel is cheaper than at the truck stops, go figure.

As insurance we carry a 5 gallon can of diesel and as a last resort we could always unhitch somewhere and then get the fuel. We have never needed either.

Ron W
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 05:36 AM   #9
Bar-OneRanch

We have the Next Exit book and if the station is RV accessible it is highlighted in red print. My friend just bought a GPS at CW for RV's that give travel routes based on the height of your trailer, I'll have to ask if it helps with gas stations also.
Chris
Bar-OneRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 05:52 AM   #10
WaltBennett

Haven't had too many problems save for the occasional small station that GasBuddy says has the lowest price. What really irritates me is the truck friendly ones with the big islands that would be really easy to get into, but the pumps won't take a debit/credit card, only a fleet one. Got to go in and prepay, then pump, then go in again to finish. PITA! The diesel pumps that do take debit/credit are all in the regular lanes so you've got to take your chances getting in and out.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:20 AM   #11
Brantlaker

Last October I brought my 5er to Florida towing for the first time with my new F350 Diesel. It was no big deal going to the truck lanes to fuel up yes some you have to prepay but most you don't. Just fuel it then pull up to to allow the next truck to fuel the walk back and forth is good after driving 3-4 hr. Another good thing fueling at the truck lanes is that they have bulk DEF right there and I always top off you use a lot when towing.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:29 AM   #12
bsmith0404

It's unfortunate that at pilot/flying J/Loves always seems to be the most expensive stations out there. If you get the Good Sam gas card it helps take the sting out a little with up to $.08 per gallon discount. Even then they are more expensive, just not as bad.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 12:37 PM   #13
Fishhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I use truck stops on long trips. I also unhitch, and fill up the evening before I leave camp. That way I start with a full load of fuel.
Yes, we always start out with a full tank too

In our case , we normally can do very little traveling on interstates
because from where we live in Northern Arkansas to one of our fav places to visit, the Gulf Coast, it's mostly secondary roads with a bunch of the small town old gas stations to manuver through for gas

We do see a lot of fivers and motorhomes on our route though
which got me to wondering if those folks are using a RV GPS to guide them to the right stations along these secondary roads
My old Garmin is great but doesnt help with RV specific input

This is something I will check out
I really appreciate everyone's input

Thanks
2- guitars
Fishing stuff
Old 12-25-2014, 02:15 PM   #14
notanlines

Brenda and I both loaded iexit on our iphones just a couple of hours ago. It appears to be a very fine app, at least for free.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 04:17 AM   #15
Fishhawk

Thanks for the tip!

I just loaded it and it does look good
2- guitars
Fishing stuff
Old 12-27-2014, 09:23 PM   #16
theeyres

Shell usually has pumps that arr parrell to the road. Just avoid those that make u point to the store. Not that hard to find.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 03:45 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeyres View Post
Shell usually has pumps that arr parrell to the road. Just avoid those that make u point to the store. Not that hard to find.
X2, We have towed from Wichita, KS to Branson, MO, then either down through Little Rock or over to Memphis. ALL of that is secondary roads through the hills of Northern Arkansas or over to the Mississippi River delta. We've never had any issue finding gas/fuel along the way. It seems that on the outskirts of every little town is a "truck stop/garage" with diesel pumps along the highway. Sort of an "easy off/easy on" arrangement just at the beginning of the city limits. Most of them don't even have a canopy over the pumps, they are out in the open. As for gas pumps, they may be under a cover closer to the front of the store, but usually they are high enough to easily clear.

The few "upgraded" (real) quick stops/truck stops that we have encountered along those secondary highways in Arkansas had 16' canopies over multiple pumps and it was very easy to maneuver with the trailer in tow.

I wouldn't worry about access to fuel, that's the easy part. Getting behind log trucks, chip trucks and the inevitable Sunday driver (on the rest of the days) is much more frustrating. Not to mention morning/afternoon driving behind a school bus, which can easily destroy any time table !!! Secondary roads are "scenic", but depending on the time of year, fuel is the least of your worries.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 11:02 AM   #18
MarkS

Many states tax 'commercial truck' Diesel at a higher rate than the personal use diesel. Around here, it is about $0.10 more a gallon at the truck stop. I use the truck stops, but try to avoid the truck lanes.
  • The Next Exit Books are great
  • Always start out with a full tank
  • Bigger stations along the interstate usually have more room.
  • Keep an eye on the overhang
  • Carry a 5 Gallon emergency can
  • Start looking before you get to the panic level

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:14 PM   #19
chuckster57
Site Team

Must be a Co thing. I didn't notice a tax difference on our cross country trek.

start looking early? I have dual tanks and start thinking about stopping when I have 1/2 tank left.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 05:01 PM   #20
notanlines

Mark, can you give us a reference on that tax deal? We travel thousands of miles every year and have never seen that to be true. Actually Colorado has the ninth lowest fuel tax in the country.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote