Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2011, 06:02 AM   #1
mel07green

FREEZING weather precautions??

OK, so just saw the weather forecast and we are in for some COLD. Two days with a low of minus 2 and a high of 12. BRRR. (It was a balmy 70 on Saturday. weird.)

Are there any precautions we can take to minimize short-term freeze issues. We have removed that wall in the basement to expose the water works and have a ceramic heater blowing in there. We have an electric heated water hose hooked up to the shore water.

Do we need to empty our fresh water tank? It's half full (or empty, depending on how you look at it )

Any suggestions? Retreating to warmer climes is unfortunately not an option.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
geo

Suggestion

Mel -

Since you have removed the wall, put a small fan immediately
behind the WaterWorks directed down the long axis of the
trailer toasted the back. This will direct air down the tunnel
towards the fresh water tank.

Look at the thread started by mikell on fresh water fill. I posted
some pics there. I hope to finish some of my mods today that
will help in the future.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
Wolfwalker

Do you have skirting? I live in Wyoming and it's nothing to have -30 below or better with the wind chill and I can tell you until I skirted mine (anyting to break the wind) I was out every morning trying to unthaw the water system. My montana has the main portion of water lines in the basement but there is about 8-10' where it drops down to the underbelly and goes to kitchen and this is where it would freeze. I actually cut a 8"x8" hole in the floor of the basement and now I have a heater that I can put down there...but after the skirting not even problem...I also heat taped and insulated all my exposed drain lines. As for the tanks you can always add tank heaters and is easy to do if you have no enclosed underbelly. But if not I highly recommend skirting, either wood, tarp or insulating board. I know you said short term, but if you are going to be there awhile....skirting...