Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2010, 05:52 AM   #1
Bob Vaughn

Sale Price verses MSRP

My recent bad experience with Lazy Days makes me wonder at what point does Sale Price come into play when making a rv purchase?
Bob Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:20 AM   #2
Ruffus

Talking Camping World, St. Augustine

Hey Bob
I bought my Copper Canyon at Camping World in St. Augutine while living in Sebastian FL last year. About 180 miles from you but a great service department and sales staff. We found the model we wanted, got their best price then went to the Super RV show in Tampa last January. We found the model there on dispaly and got a price (show price) from the Rep. When I told him that I could do better with the dealer price he came down even more. Then I called the salesman at the dealer and offered him $6,000 under the show price from th Rep and they took it. All in all we bought it for 35% under MSRP. We probably could have done a little better than that but it was the last unit of that model left in the State so we settled.
As for service, you can't ask for a better service department, their service director Ed Woods will jump through hoops to make sure your happy as long as you treat them with a little respect and don't have a tantrum when something needs attention.
I hope you find what your looking for.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:23 PM   #3
jerseyphil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus View Post
Hey Bob
I bought my Copper Canyon at Camping World in St. Augutine while living in Sebastian FL last year. About 180 miles from you but a great service department and sales staff. We found the model we wanted, got their best price then went to the Super RV show in Tampa last January. We found the model there on dispaly and got a price (show price) from the Rep. When I told him that I could do better with the dealer price he came down even more. Then I called the salesman at the dealer and offered him $6,000 under the show price from th Rep and they took it. All in all we bought it for 35% under MSRP. We probably could have done a little better than that but it was the last unit of that model left in the State so we settled.
As for service, you can't ask for a better service department, their service director Ed Woods will jump through hoops to make sure your happy as long as you treat them with a little respect and don't have a tantrum when something needs attention.
I hope you find what your looking for.
I also got a great price. My 318SAB was 36.7% below MSRP at Pete's RV Center in South Burlington, Vermont. They were fabulous. I highly recommend them. I was told the reason they can price it so low is because they purchase about 150 units at a time, so the manufacturer gives them a fabulous deal, which they can pass on to their customers.
jerseyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:23 PM   #4
mikell

Our Alpine was about 60% of the MSRP . Can't complain plus it has free delivery. 310 miles for 0$ even though 300 was supposed to be the limit gas would have cost me 100$ or so. The state sales tax got me a little miffed because we asked and they said that we would have to take care of it but when the paperwork came through nearly 4k$ magically appeared. All in all Holoman in Bativia had the best deal.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:03 PM   #5
Ruffus

Cool Sale Tax

You didn't think that you were really going to get away that cheap did you? Still sounds like you got a good deal, hope that holds true when you need warranty work too.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:16 PM   #6
ultralight

Don't know why people only post their percentages. My wife and I purchased our new 2010 Laredo 305TG for $29,000. The dealer sales price was $35,300 and the MSRP was listed as $45,800. So in the end, we got 37% off the MSRP.

I honestly feel that I could have negotiated a thousand or two more but I didn't feel that it would have been worth the effort. Based on market analysis the price was on the low end of what other places were selling the exact same model, at the time.

Its a numbers game. I knew that the dealer hadn't sold anything in a while because of the economy, as I had called a few times and spoke to different sales people. They desperately needed to make a sale. I did my research before going in and actually had a few "competitors," for the same model, available on my iPad.

In the end I truly don't know if I got the best possible deal, but I got one that I am satisfied with.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:29 AM   #7
mikell

Warranty seems good . Our table devoloped a crack and they had a new one shipped to a dealer about 20 miles away. Because of the holidays we haven't picked it up yet. So far so good I'd say.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #8
Bob Vaughn

Unhappy LD wont budge

Lazy Days salesman wont budge off MSRP....I told him in 45 years I had never paid MSRP on any of the campers I have owned and was not going to start now...He acted like he was doing me a favor by letting me buy....I wanted a hitch and slide toppers also thinking I would get a discount on those items at least HA......they were list price plus....I guess hell will have to freeze over before I buy any thing at Lazy Days.......OR mabey my salesman is just greedy or does not need to make sales.....
Bob Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:03 PM   #9
ultralight

I'd speak with my wallet and buy somewhere else. I'll pay MSRP on electronics and small things. But on Vehicles and Big Toys, I try to stay away from MSRP and inflexible dealers. As you pointed out, you were gonna spend other money with them also. But in the end, they lose out. Shop around and I am sure you'll find another one.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:50 PM   #10
mhs4771

Bought our Montana in Nov '09, MSRP was 68.5, sale price was 42, worked them and had two slide toppers plus the 20K Reese fifth wheel hitch and installation all included. Service sucks, but found a Service Center that is closer and only does service work, no sales and they have been great to work with.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:28 AM   #11
gkainz

I've heard that's common practice at Lazy Daze. Now, are they realistic about their MSRP? Dunno ... I guess one would have to compare "average purchase price" of a comparable competitor. From what I've heard and read about Lazy Daze (no personal experience with them at all), they believe there IS no comparable competitor.... ?
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:06 PM   #12
jje1960

Msrp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
I've heard that's common practice at Lazy Daze. Now, are they realistic about their MSRP? Dunno ... I guess one would have to compare "average purchase price" of a comparable competitor. From what I've heard and read about Lazy Daze (no personal experience with them at all), they believe there IS no comparable competitor.... ?
Ahhhh, the power of the internet. Years ago, they (dealers) got away with charging anything they wanted, it took a ton of time and resources to "keep them honest"... Prior to buying, we knew the exact unit we wanted, after research went to the a dealer close to home. 11k more than another dealer within 100mi. Even after indicating our extreme interest in purchase and cash deal (which they had problem with due to everyone financing...) they did not offer to "deal" at all. Very simple next phase, I asked why we should pay 11k more than the other dealer? 10min later (after they verified what we were talking about on the internet) they matched that price. $11,000.00 !!! $500.00 one way or the other is just plain "market", but 11k is frustrating. Times have changed with the information age advantages, have to pay attention.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:34 AM   #13
mavagrand

Bought a 2015 Laredo 299BH from Lazy Days in Tampa. It's MSRP was 31k. I got it for 19k. Maybe it's me but that seems like a good deal. Find another salesman.
mavagrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:45 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

mavagrand,

This thread originated in December 2010 and the last response was in January 2011. While the information is as "current" today as it was then, chances are the posters have "moved on" from this thread.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:53 PM   #15
Bowti

I realize the post is old but the subject is still relevant. I wonder how many pay close to the asking price. It would also be interesting to see a list of materials and a cost sheet for the build, even though it could vary greatly based on the quality of the materials.

2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier
Bowti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:35 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

If you've done any "significant shopping" for RV's you'll quickly realize that the MSRP on a specific model (with identical) options can vary by thousands of dollars at dealerships that are literally across the street from one another. There appears to be no specific "MSRP" developed by Keystone, rather the "sticker price" is what price that dealer decides to market the model. You'll find, as most of us did, that the "MSRP Price Sheet" that's taped to the dining table or hung from the range hood, is a dealer prepared price, and has no "real relevance to the actual price"..... Honestly, if the sales price is $38,000 with a 11,000 discount or $28,000 with a 1,000 discount, where does the MSRP really enter the picture?

I've seen MSRP sheets on the Cougar XLite 27RKS (my trailer) that range from $28,950 to $43,000. That's for the same year, identical trailer with the identical options that mine has. It's a "FAR CRY" from the "standardized price" of the auto manufacturer's "window sticker price (Which even has the same shipping charges, no matter where you buy it).

According to my dealer, he gets a discount for purchasing a quantity of RV's at once and a price discount for purchasing a specific number during the year. So, his cost changes depending on how many Keystone products he buys and how fast he can move them to order more. That's an "incentive" for him to pass on part of that discount so his "MSRP" is lower than the dealer in the next town over.

Most people seem to have bought at 15% to 25% below the "MSRP" that was listed on the sheet printed by the dealer.

As for a "build cost sheet", there are a couple of websites that give some of that information, but I've never found anything that will pass the "Snopes.com" test as valid. If you do happen to find that information, please pass along the website as I'm sure nearly all of the active members would find it very interesting. But, I'd ask: Does that information even exist?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-04-2015, 05:49 PM   #17
dcg9381

JRTJH,
What do you think or do you have any experience buying from one of the high volume "wholesale" dealers? Typically out of state? I can come up with a few business names if needed...

Even within the bounds of 100 miles around Texarkana the reputation of most RV dealers in terms of service ranges from criminal to mediocre.. And I know that many of us, even under warranty, often find it easier to self serve rather than tow for an hour in and wait for what is sometimes months to have minor service that might need to be re-addressed.

I know that's not true of everyone's case...
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:33 PM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
JRTJH,
What do you think or do you have any experience buying from one of the high volume "wholesale" dealers? Typically out of state? I can come up with a few business names if needed...

Even within the bounds of 100 miles around Texarkana the reputation of most RV dealers in terms of service ranges from criminal to mediocre.. And I know that many of us, even under warranty, often find it easier to self serve rather than tow for an hour in and wait for what is sometimes months to have minor service that might need to be re-addressed.

I know that's not true of everyone's case...
The arguments you present are probably the most favorable in support of buying from a distant "discount dealership". There are a number of them around the country that deal in "high volume/big discount pricing". It's really tempting for someone who is looking at price as the "deciding factor". As you indicated, around your local area, "the reputation of most RV dealers in terms of service ranges from criminal to mediocre". If I were faced with that kind of expectation of service support, I'd probably look seriously at the discount dealership as well. Fortunately, I'm in an area where there are two Keystone dealers with very good reputations. One is a local family owned business that just affiliated with Camping World about 5 years ago. They have the reputation of being a "locally owned business with a great regard for their customer's satisfaction". The other is a small family run business in a small town where people travel to buy there because of the reputation and after-sale service. I've bought from both and would not hesitate to go back to either to buy again. That said, both of them offered a "can't turn it down price" that compared to the "big city discount dealerships", so there wasn't much reason to even consider making the trip to save only a couple hundred bucks.

I suppose if you're willing to gamble away the "dealer support" during the first year, after the warranty expires, it's a fairly level playing field. in that case, why not "save the money"..... It's been my experience that given time to properly negotiate the deal, (considering the time of year and unit demand) usually a local dealer with a good reputation for after sale service can come close enough to the discount dealers to make most people reconsider not buying locally.

Just my opinion, others may disagree, some vehemently....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-04-2015, 06:47 PM   #19
thatdjguy

I paid $24995 for my 2015 Passport 2920. How'd I do?
thatdjguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:16 PM   #20
Face Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

I suppose if you're willing to gamble away the "dealer support" during the first year, after the warranty expires, it's a fairly level playing field. in that case, why not "save the money"..... It's been my experience that given time to properly negotiate the deal, (considering the time of year and unit demand) usually a local dealer with a good reputation for after sale service can come close enough to the discount dealers to make most people reconsider not buying locally.

Just my opinion, others may disagree, some vehemently....
I have three local dealers that carry Keystone trailers, but only one that carried the Carbon that I was interested in. When were discussing price I brought up what I was seeing from these outlet dealers, and was told point blank that there was no way that they could/would match that price. So they lost the sale and I went the distance route and saved a ton of cash! I now have the two other Keystone dealers to fend with in case I do have a warranty claim within the first year...not even going to bother with the other one. I already know that one of them does not care if a unit was purchased from them I had work done through them for my last trailer...which was bought elsewhere.
Face Down is offline   Reply With Quote