Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2010, 06:56 AM   #1
kenn209

New Window

Anyone add or cut a new window in there rig? Wife wants a new window behind the bed on the slideout, Would this be possible to do?

Thanks!
kenn209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:00 AM   #2
rwm1313

adding a new window

I have done it. Its best if it has been framed for a window already and the dealer just didn't buy the window option. If it hasn't been framed you will need to cut rough opening then remove some isolation from around the rough opening and put in some sort of frame. I used wood ripped down to the right size. The reason for doing this is when you install the window you want a good seal and the isolation is not ridged enough to create a lasting seal. good luck
rwm1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:54 AM   #3
LarryD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1313 View Post
I have done it. Its best if it has been framed for a window already and the dealer just didn't buy the window option. If it hasn't been framed you will need to cut rough opening then remove some isolation from around the rough opening and put in some sort of frame. I used wood ripped down to the right size. The reason for doing this is when you install the window you want a good seal and the isolation is not ridged enough to create a lasting seal. good luck
I agree except for clarity, it is block foam insulation. While I have not done a window, I did install a small baggage door. You do need to determine if there are aluminum or wood studs that will need to be cut, mine was small enough that it fit between existing studs. Before doing any drilling or cutting thru the wall, use masking tape to protect the fiberglas from chipping or cracking. The same problem exists with the interior panel, but use blue painters tape since masking tape may damage the panel when being removed. I would drill two holes at all 4 corners to mark the radius endpoints, then use these holes as reference points to apply the painters tape on the inside. Use a fine tooth saber saw at high speed to minimize vibrations that might delaminate the wall.
LarryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
kenn209

I think I will put this one on the very back burner until she mentions it again! Don't want to take a chance and damage the rig...
kenn209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
CRUZIN 2

New window

Our last rig had a window in the bedroom slide, was great until it would get cold at nights. In colder weather we had to put insulation in the window, the wifes head would get cold, not good.

LARRY & LAVONNE HUMMEL
Full-Timer
GMC Sierra 3500 DRW D/A Denali 2011
ALPINE 2013 3535RE
CRUZIN 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:27 PM   #6
Smitty

I installed an outside shower in my previous 06 Cougar Fifth Wheel. I waited for a morning where it was cool outside and I could see where all the metal studs were on the outisde of the trailer. What I did was just cut between them. I predrilled a hole in each corner then used a finetooth jigsaw blade to do the cutting. I also cut back the insulation between the outside and inside walls and inserted a 1x1 cut to size to fit the outside perimeter. That was the easiest part, took only a short time to mark the hole and cut it. Putting in the framing was pretty straight forward. I think hooking the water lines up and getting the right fittings was the hardest part. I enjoyed my outside shower and never had a problem with it. I would think a window would be similar just a little bigger. Good luck if you decide to do so.