Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
redlacm

Not enough room for recliner chairs when slide out goes in

We have an Avalanche 345TG, the valance gets in the way when trying to push the recliners against the rear window, to get enough room to close the slide out. Anyone have a solution - other than removing the valances - which we've done for now?
redlacm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlacm View Post
We have an Avalanche 345TG, the valance gets in the way when trying to push the recliners against the rear window, to get enough room to close the slide out. Anyone have a solution - other than removing the valances - which we've done for now?
Our Cougar has a pair of swivel rockers in the rear. When the slides are in, there's not enough room for one of them in their normal position. Keystone's solution is to provide some extra straps, and have us place the second one upside down on on the couch and strap it in place. I am not thrilled with that so I experimented a bit with other positions for it. I found that there is just enough space between the slides when retracted for the second rocker. I just close up the kitchen/entertainment center slide first, move the rocker from its corner a few feet so it is in front of the entertainment center. The dining room/sofa slide comes in, and the rocker is neatly sandwiched in place and very stable while on the road.

I don't know if your Avalanche has a similar space with the slides closed, but it's worth a look.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
5mary6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
Our Cougar has a pair of swivel rockers in the rear. When the slides are in, there's not enough room for one of them in their normal position. Keystone's solution is to provide some extra straps, and have us place the second one upside down on on the couch and strap it in place. I am not thrilled with that so I experimented a bit with other positions for it. I found that there is just enough space between the slides when retracted for the second rocker. I just close up the kitchen/entertainment center slide first, move the rocker from its corner a few feet so it is in front of the entertainment center. The dining room/sofa slide comes in, and the rocker is neatly sandwiched in place and very stable while on the road.

I don't know if your Avalanche has a similar space with the slides closed, but it's worth a look.
Thats how we do ours too, making sure we lift the round base of the chairs, OVER the carpet lip on the slide. Forget those straps and the back aches!

PullRite Superglide 16k
Revolution kites

Previous RV

2012 MVP Sonoma SE 23bh
5mary6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:58 AM   #4
micar

We just purchased a 333MKS and the dealer says the recliners fit between the back of the slide and the back wall when turned sideways......I am guessing from these posts that is not quite true...which sucks 'cause those chairs are heavy!!
Mike
micar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
Fastback

Seems to me that Keystone dropped the ball on this. The designers need to do dome homework or even better try taking one of these units out for a test run.

One of the things I have noticed is they don't think about the how many holes they leave on the underside with out any thought to sealing.

On the older unit I am working on I have found a number of places that mice can get in. Some places can be repaired by installing a piece of sheet metal while others can be simply filled with caulk. I have also noticed that I could use the spray foam that they use in new house construction to fill a few of the larger holes that water lines go through.

I know that extra work cost, but I doubt that it would that much to a RV that already cost 30, 40, 50K or more dollars.
Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
Pasolovers

We have the same model and have found we just have enough room to close the slide with the chairs turned sideways, facing each other and pushed as tightly as possible against the windows decor
Let us rejoice and be glad in it!!!
2012 Avalanche 345tg
2004 F 350
Pasolovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:59 AM   #7
K'sKamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by micar View Post
We just purchased a 333MKS and the dealer says the recliners fit between the back of the slide and the back wall when turned sideways......I am guessing from these posts that is not quite true...which sucks 'cause those chairs are heavy!!
Mike
It depends on when it was manufactured, my recliners fit between the back wall and slide facing each other but from my understanding the earlier units some chairs were a little bigger and do not fit.
K'sKamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
5mary6

Quote:
Mike
It is true for the normal recliners, but for the oversized ones, they are too large to fit back on the rea wall/window.

PullRite Superglide 16k
Revolution kites

Previous RV

2012 MVP Sonoma SE 23bh
Old 05-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #9
azlee56

That is how our's rides in the Montana. We turn them facing each other with the little table between them.

Quote:
Mike
Old 05-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #10
micar

We have the optional recliners, which are bigger?? Will they still fit there? It is a 2013 model.
Mike
Old 05-21-2013, 05:51 PM   #11
LaConDo

We have the same model. We find that that have put them as tight as we can, facing each other, strapping them down. Then we place a furniture slide, (a piece of acrylic thats used to move fridges, stoves on hardwood floors), by the chairs so that the slides rubs on the acrylic and not the chairs. I think I bought some from our local Lowes store, about 2X3 feet. Enough to cover the arms of the chairs. We found the slide was rubbing along the chairs, wrecking the fabric. This definitely helps us, and the plastic stores neatly behind couch when the slides are open.
2012 345TG Avalanche
Curt Q20
LaConDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:57 AM   #12
redlacm

Not enough room for recliner chairs with slide out closing

Thanks to all your replies and suggestions, I haven't heard back from Keystone since they asked me for pictures - a week ago. Those recliners are so heavy, moving one to the middle between the slides is something I'll try but I'd hate to have to do it every travel day. The furniture slide sounds intriguing. Right now it'll stay working with the valances removed - until I hear back from Keystone.
Certainly, turning the chair upside down on the couch is out of the questions! Thank you so much everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	3270  
redlacm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #13
micar

We were told that the recliners would fit between the back of the trailer and the end of the slides on our new 333MKS, however that is not the case, we have to move them to the center between the slides back to back up against the island.
Mike
Old 06-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #14
5mary6

Quote:
We were told that the recliners would fit between the back of the trailer and the end of the slides on our new 333MKS, however that is not the case, we have to move them to the center between the slides back to back up against the island.
Mike
you must have the oversized ones like me. Between the slides they will ride. Will be looking for another set up in the future. Perhaps even moving the oversized recliners to the couch area and getting two smaller recliners to place in the rear window area, eliminating the couch altogether

PullRite Superglide 16k
Revolution kites

Previous RV

2012 MVP Sonoma SE 23bh
Old 06-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #15
K'sKamper

Not enough room for recliner chairs when slide out goes in

Quote:
Mike
Ours fit turned facing each other in the back in our 333MKS. Just have to make sure they are tight against the back so the handle of the recliner is back far enough.
K'sKamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #16
micar

We do have the optional swivel recliners....not a big deal to move them, we still need the couch for the hooligans to sleep on when they decide to come with!!!
Not much room to move around with both slides in and the chairs up the centre
Mike
Old 06-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #17
diugo
Permanent User Ban

My Cougar came with the world's most uncomfortable couch ever, so I promptly removed it, sold it back to the dealer for $200, and replaced it with a genuine La-Z-Boy recliner (for $600).

It took a lot of careful shopping because I not only wanted to bolt it to the floor so the slideout could safely close around it, I wanted it to rotate a full 360° at least partially reclined, so that I could spend countless hours a day staring out the huge picture window in the back

Most recliners are ginormous, but I finally did find one small enough.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #18
John VE

Removed couch from slide

:We have a 2013 27RLSWE with the same lounge chair storage problems when moving. I removed the couch from the slide and now have lots of room for the Lazy Boy chairs. Even added a 3rd chair to the right rear corner by the rear window. If we need to add sleeping room we will use a cot. We now have lots of room with the slide in.
John VE is offline   Reply With Quote