Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2011, 06:08 AM   #1
Bob Vaughn

Sad heart

It is with a sad heart that me and the misses have to decided to give up on our search for a new rv.....for the first time ever we can afford a new one but cannot find one that we would feel confident towing off the lot.....
Bob Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:43 AM   #2
CRUZIN 2

Sad Heart

BOB

Keystone makes a zillion different kinds of coaches, someone on here may help guide you to what you're looking for. It may help if you list what options you are looking for, don't give up too easy.

LARRY & LAVONNE HUMMEL
Full-Timer
GMC Sierra 3500 DRW D/A Denali 2011
ALPINE 2013 3535RE
CRUZIN 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
antiqfreq

Sorry you could not find a Keystone to meet your requirements but I would certainly think there is something out there that suits your needs and meets your requirements.

Sometimes our expectations though are much higher than we can attain. I always want things 100% perfect; but we know this is not a perfect world.

Good luck to you when you resume, if you do, your RV search!

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
KanTC

Bob,

Am I correct that you & the misses liked the Copper Canyon 314RLS...?? If so, there's also 'very similar' triple-slide floor plans in the mid-priced Cougar, Laredo, Outback, & (Outback) Sydney lines too.

Good Luck in your decision,

Terri, the co-pilot [& DH Kevin]
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
LarryD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Vaughn View Post
It is with a sad heart that me and the misses have to decided to give up on our search for a new rv.....for the first time ever we can afford a new one but cannot find one that we would feel confident towing off the lot.....
I understand your point, my existing unit is almost 7 yrs old and each year we have casually looked for something better. Nothing justified a second look. Now, I'm trying really hard to find a new unit and not having much success. I haven't even considered construction quality and I understand no unit is perfect. But everything seems to have some good points and some bad points. The one that I like the most (another brand) would require moving the E-center and major rewiring. It looks like the Cougar HC comes closest to meeting our needs, but I need to kick the idea around some more before taking the leap.

Good luck with your decision.
LarryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

Bob Vaughn:
It seems that you have looked at quite a few new units and have come up empty-handed and have arrived at the conclusion to abandon your search. Up to this point, you have not found a unit that you feel good about - either on the lot or one that might be ordered.

However, for the short term, not buying now may not be a such a "bad" idea. You might want to step back, relax and just do some casual looking from time-to-time rather than feeling the urge to get out there and buy one now.
In one of your earlier posts, you said that you " have had your TT for 10 years and never had a problem". You also mentioned that you wanted to move to a 5th wheel because of the difficulty you had in lifting the equalizer bars on your trailer.

Flyguy suggested switching to a power tongue jack and replacing the manual crank which should be much easier for you. So........ why not keep your existing and trouble-free TT (assuming that you still have it), follow up on Flyguy's recommendation and use your old TT until you find one that you are happy with.
By now you must have a pretty good idea what you want and what you don't want. As mentioned by Cruzin 2, there are a "zillion" makes and models out there.
You have received considerable input and suggestions from numerous forum members in an effort to try to help you.
In the end, when you consider cost, layout, features, design, quality and all of the other factors you need to evaluate when purchasing an RV, it is your decision.

As antiqfreq so rightly pointed out, be realistic in your expectations. Perfection in an RV is not something you should be expecting or demanding.
In my opinion........ dust off your older but reliable and trustworthy TT, replace the manual jack, take your time and relax while looking for your new RV.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:14 PM   #7
jje1960

Moving up

I hear you with wanting to be sure when you move up. We spent two years making sure we moved to something we were going to be happy with. Our first unit was a hybrid Antigua 21', then to the RVision 27QBSS, finally we now have what we really want (after spending a boat-load on a new truck...) the Cougar 3325SRX. Separate bathroom, nice bedroom in front, open main cabin, huge loft and the bay in the back that I love for an extra room (as well as to haul the golf cart) which provides plenty of room for "visitors". Yup, don't have the counter space that we wanted, don't have the extra slide (third) that would push the fridge and stove out, but it's exactly what we wanted within price range could afford. With all the units out there, can't believe there is nothing to suit your needs, allowing you to enjoy something to move up 2! Life's to short to wait around "wanting" to move.... that's what we decided anyway! Good luck on your trek to find a unit your happy with, see you out there!
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:26 PM   #8
Bob Vaughn

Electric tongue jack

I have always had a power jack....a couple of years ago on one of our trips I went thru 2 in two weeks....the first one a Atwood shorted out after a driving rain storm that we drove thru...I installed a Ultra Fab and that broke a shear pin the following week they replaced the unit...a while after that I realized that the 18" lift was not enough because of the slope of my drive way going into my level rv port...It was while lifting one of the wd bars and it slipped off my lift bar and threw me against the wall that I realized I needed a Barker 24" lift. That has proved to work great.....But at 68 installing the hitch and wd bars are getting to be a bit much....I considered a MH but the wife put the squash on that idea so a 5th wheel is the only other alternative....
Old 01-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #9
Seann
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Vaughn View Post
Be joyful you are not buying a Keystone... they make pretty junk...
Seann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #10
jje1960

Junk ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann View Post
Be joyful you are not buying a Keystone... they make pretty junk...
Wow, pretty strong statement. Kinda wondering how you get to number one if nothing is produced but junk...
Old 01-07-2011, 05:46 AM   #11
Bob Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1960 View Post
Wow, pretty strong statement. Kinda wondering how you get to number one if nothing is produced but junk...
I would guess by the sheer number of brands they make.....I wonder how many of their units are sitting on dealer lots....I know some of the dealer sites I go to have a lot of keystone products. Some new units are a couple of years old....
Old 01-07-2011, 09:40 AM   #12
Outbackmel

junk comment

Have a friend who spent $350,000 + on an American Dream MH...diesel tank was under the sleeping area...had to trade out after 2 trips because of his wife's sensitivity to the smell....point is few things are perfect..tolerance; testing and change what you don't like or move on to something else. Life is too short to focus on "what if's"... LOVE our triple slide; 2011 Outback and can't wait until next month to head to Daytona 500 and early March for Bike Week (Daytona).

? maybe we should cancel?? could have a flat; maybe a jack won't work, a battery fail....never know...yeah, maybe we'll stay home....(not)...
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #13
Ruffus

Talking Hear Hear

Hey Outbackmel, have a great time in Daytona and like me don't sweat the small stuff.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:52 AM   #14
jje1960

Bike week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackmel View Post
Have a friend who spent $350,000 + on an American Dream MH...diesel tank was under the sleeping area...had to trade out after 2 trips because of his wife's sensitivity to the smell....point is few things are perfect..tolerance; testing and change what you don't like or move on to something else. Life is too short to focus on "what if's"... LOVE our triple slide; 2011 Outback and can't wait until next month to head to Daytona 500 and early March for Bike Week (Daytona).

? maybe we should cancel?? could have a flat; maybe a jack won't work, a battery fail....never know...yeah, maybe we'll stay home....(not)...
Bike Week... One of these years when wife-unit gets more vacation time.... boy would I love that trip to escape for a week! Enjoy your self, post a couple of pics when you return.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:07 PM   #15
antiqfreq

This thread has run its course - it is now closed.

antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote