Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
Festus2
Site Team

Question GPS - Software & Firmware

I have decided to purchase a newer model Garmin GPS. Before using, I believe it is recommended that you first go online to the Garmin website and download - for free - any new software and firmware that is available in order to bring the unit fully up-to-date since it was manufactured.

The questions I have are:
1) Is this process necessary or can you use it straight out of the box without installing new software and firmware?
2) I have read that going through this initial download process is both time-consuming and prone to installation difficulties and errors. Has anyone had any experience, good or bad, doing this software and firmware up-date before using the unit?
Old 12-15-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
jerseyphil

Garmin 265WT

I have a Garmin 265WT. Got it about a year and a half ago. First thing that has to be done is an initial startup, which involves bringing the unit to a location where it has a clear shot at the sky so it can find several satellites. If I remember correctly, it took about 15 to 20 minutes for my unit. Then I believe you can use it without the map update check.

The connection to check for map updates was extremely easy. You connect the Garmin to the internet via a USB cable (I think it was provided by Garmin) to a computer that is connected to the Internet.
When I did mine, the message I ultimately received after a few minutes was that there were no updates newer than mine.

Since then, I've used my Garmin and am extremely happy with it. I was alerted by Garmin, through my GPS when I started it up recently, that there was an update available. I haven't done the update yet. There must be a charge associated with it, and I will probably try it one of these days.

Hope that helps!

Regards,
Phil
jerseyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
antiqfreq

I have the same Garmin as above and process same as he said. We did update the maps once and that was done on line. Just about 2 weeks ago I did check for updates since I got those maps and there were no updates or firmware updates.
We have used our GPS to travel from SO. FL to California, to Canada and now back home!

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:06 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

I have been using Garmin products since they had antennas sticking out of the top with mono-tone screens. I my opinion they have one of the best product support of any electronics companies.
Take the updates as soon as possible, although not necessary they contain corrections for errors and new locations not on old maps. I had no plans to buy a new one until Costco offered one with lifetime maps and traffic. I still use the old one in my work truck. (I don't mind getting lost while on the clock ) and the new one stays in my Ram ready to travel. As I have mentioned before ... Her name is Ethel, after my mother-in-law ... they both always tell me where to go. .... but I can turn the Garmin off!
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:29 PM   #5
geo

Thumbs up Gotta Get A Garmin

Festus2 -

I have a Garmin Oregon 550T, and IMHO it is the best thing since sliced bread and canned beer! I like the ability to take 3 megapixel pictures and have them tagged with latitude and longitude! When this is uploaded into Garmin's BaseCamp, you can put these pictures in any cartographic friendly environment such as Google Earth, GeoPDF, etc. The Oregon also supports OpenCaching.com GPX files. Everything about this unit is absolutely positive!

Yes, you can use the Oregon 550T right out of the box, but why? The Garmin WebUpDater is cool and easy to use. Now, the Oregon comes with 1:250000 NA maps installed. For my own personal preferences, I installed an 16 gig microSD and loaded up the 1:2000 topo maps for most of western US. (A word or caution: my job involves quite a bit of cartography, so I am pretty much a carto freak.) I found using the WebUpDater was very easy and actually updated the Oregon 550T and the Vista HCx very quickly with no problems. I found the most problems in using the new software BaseCamp to load topos - but that was just a steep learning curve.

I purchased my 550T from Amazon along with the topo digital files. Amazon was just about as inexpensive as any other vendor I checked. Unfortunately, the finest resolution for Canadian maps is 1:50,000 (1cm=500m), but even at that scale, you can still find Takakkaw Falls and Walcott Quarry in Yoho NPS very easily! The Oregon looks like an iPhone and is pretty much interfaced with in the same manner. IMHO, it is definitely worth MSRP, so US$100 off from Amazon is an excellent deal!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:06 AM   #6
Jim W

I have a Garmin 7 series model. I have own it for several years now and when I first bought the unit it came with a new map update for free. This was a CD that I used to update the Garmin with. I also needed an Internet connection when I did the first update. I register my unit at this site: https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/custo...rminHome.faces
I have then since updated the unit once more over the Internet and payed for the map updates to 2010. The down load from the Internet took about five minutes to the computer, it then took about 30 to 45 Min's to update the actual Garmin.
Jim
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:47 AM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

Thanks for your responses.
The model that I am considering is from Costco and has free "Lifetime Maps and Traffic" updates". Of course there is this little asterisk beside this which, after reading all of the conditions, somewhat limits what this actually means. However, it still is a pretty good deal - especially if it is as good as canned beer!
One problem that occasionally occurs with downloading map updates is that you might get a message that says your GPS doesn't have the "room" or space to accept all of the new updates that are now included. This could result in having to delete some regions or features on the existing maps in order to make room for the new map version. It may also require you to purchase a SD card and have the update or portions of it installed on it.
But from your posts, this hasn't been a problem.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:48 PM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Thanks for your responses.

One problem that occasionally occurs with downloading map updates is that you might get a message that says your GPS doesn't have the "room" or space to accept all of the new updates that are now included. This could result in having to delete some regions or features on the existing maps in order to make room for the new map version. It may also require you to purchase a SD card and have the update or portions of it installed on it.
But from your posts, this hasn't been a problem.
I had that problem with my old unit. Support ask me how many languages I spoke. When I told them only English, they removed 16 languages of male and female voices and text and there was plenty of room. The new models have much more memory. The FM traffic works well near major cities and lifetime maps pays for itself after one upgrade. New maps were not printed every year in the past but with todays technology it seems they are. The "Lane assist" and speed limits are pretty accurate also. I think you will be as impressed as I was. I'm not sure if Costco sells any of the "T" models that are made for trucking and include height and weight restrictions that you can program for your rig.
Good luck with your decision, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:44 AM   #9
antiqfreq

I mispoke here - My GPS is in the 700 series too.....

My Bad.....

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:27 AM   #10
geo

Garmin GPS

Festus2 -

If you are looking for a navigational GPS, be sure to compare prices with a New York based e-tailer, Beach Camera, (www.beachcamera.com). They are not always the most inexpensive , but they usually can give you a good clue on the lowest retail price. Beach Camera handles pretty much only auto/truck GPS - no trail handhelds that I prefer. I can say that I have purchased several cameras, photo printers, camera accessories over the past 9 years from them and have been very happy. I have never purchased a GPS from them, but I have looked at their prices. Above all, be a comparison shopper, right?

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote